Hello All

TheWanderer
agnostic deistTheist
TheWanderer's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello All

This isn't the first day on the forum, but I finally have the lack of laziness to make this thread.

What I want to get out of the way first is that I'm not an Atheist. I'm an Agnostic/Deist, if you wanted to describe me best. I believe that there is either no sort of force that created us or there is a force somewhere in the Universe that is keeping the Universe in line and causing events such as the Big Bang to be created. Though I haven't completely knocked off an interventionist Creator as of yet, though I seriously doubt it. The reason why I believe this is because of the question that stumps me the most, which is where did the hot dense state come that eventually became the catalyst towards the Big Bang theory (if you know the answer, you can laugh.... I don't particularly mind.).

Now the reason as to why I am here is because I can always hear what the Theists believe since I have very religious people around me, from different faiths. However I can never hear the Atheist POV (though I doubt there are many spiritual Atheists such as members some Buddhist sects in here), since they are either not as open as Theists or I suck at finding vocal Atheists . I've also been reading books/essays by Atheists (Satanic Bible, Ayn Rand Essays, Bhagat Singh's "Why I am an Atheist", etc) and I've been reading books by Theists such as the Bible.

That's all I have for now, unless people want to ask me certain questions. I'm not so good in intros so please excuse the shortness.

Mr. Atheist (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Welcome  to the forums. 

Welcome  to the forums.  Saw you mention this in another post which is why I went ahead and tagged you with the agnostic deist badge before.   Though you're still technically a theist, the deist badge just helps make sure you don't get pegged a Christian as is the case with most theists around here =)

TheWanderer
agnostic deistTheist
TheWanderer's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr. Atheist wrote:Welcome 

Mr. Atheist wrote:

Welcome  to the forums.  Saw you mention this in another post which is why I went ahead and tagged you with the agnostic deist badge before.   Though you're still technically a theist, the deist badge just helps make sure you don't get pegged a Christian as is the case with most theists around here =)

Thanks man. Wouldn't want to be called an Evangelical.... though it would be funny as hell. =)

"My mind is my own church." - Thomas Paine

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forums,

Welcome to the forums, TheWanderer!

Any relation to Groo the Wanderer?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the hizzle!

Welcome to the hizzle!

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Define "believe" please.

TheWanderer wrote:

I believe that there is either no sort of force that created us or there is a force somewhere in the Universe that is keeping the Universe in line and causing events such as the Big Bang to be created. Though I haven't completely knocked off an interventionist Creator as of yet, though I seriously doubt it.

Welcome.

There is a lot of contention and misunderstanding about what is means to "believe" something. I think anyone who says they "believe" something should define what this means before any debate can proceed. Does this mean:

A: You hope this is true? A kind of wish thinking?

B: This just an internal feeling you have but you can't offer us any objective evidence to "believe" as you do?

C: You think there is objective evidence to say this is true beyond a reasonable doubt?

D: You know for fact this is absolutely true?

Semantics question: Would it be better to call what you "believe" either a feeling or a personal theory?

Is the evidence that caused you to "believe" a personal revelation or should rational people be able to see the same evidence as you and believe as you believe?

Could you find not believing anything about creation of the universe(unless their is scientific evidence) an acceptable position to take? Or must you "believe" something?

Can you give us a percentage of how likely your "beliefs" are to be true?

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

TheWanderer
agnostic deistTheist
TheWanderer's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Welcome to the forums,

Quote:

Welcome to the forums, TheWanderer!

Any relation to Groo the Wanderer?

Thanks, but I have never heard of Groo.

EXC wrote:

TheWanderer wrote:

I believe that there is either no sort of force that created us or there is a force somewhere in the Universe that is keeping the Universe in line and causing events such as the Big Bang to be created. Though I haven't completely knocked off an interventionist Creator as of yet, though I seriously doubt it.

Welcome.

There is a lot of contention and misunderstanding about what is means to "believe" something. I think anyone who says they "believe" something should define what this means before any debate can proceed. Does this mean:

A: You hope this is true? A kind of wish thinking?

B: This just an internal feeling you have but you can't offer us any objective evidence to "believe" as you do?

C: You think there is objective evidence to say this is true beyond a reasonable doubt?

D: You know for fact this is absolutely true?

Semantics question: Would it be better to call what you "believe" either a feeling or a personal theory?

Is the evidence that caused you to "believe" a personal revelation or should rational people be able to see the same evidence as you and believe as you believe?

Could you find not believing anything about creation of the universe(unless their is scientific evidence) an acceptable position to take? Or must you "believe" something?

Can you give us a percentage of how likely your "beliefs" are to be true?

I see your point....

Yes I think it would be better to call my "beliefs" personal theories that are under experimentation and scrutiny.

My "beliefs" are things that came to me through research of different belief systems, scientific inquiry, and introspection on my own observations in the outside world. I've been able to conclude through my findings that a interventionist God, which most Theists support, wouldn't be able to work since I don't see the reason why it (yes I call God IT since I don't know if it has a gender, if it even exists, therefore it would be presumptuous) would allow the human race to freely destroy it by pollution? If it wanted to Earth to be created as this wonderful gem, then I think it would want to preserve what it took millenia to cultivate. I also don't get why out of the several planets in the universe, that a certain deity would only pay attention to one particular species on one particular planet when the possibility exists that there could be life on other planets.

Sure, I can see the Atheist position as acceptable by what you guys have concluded through your own studies. I don't agree with it, but I find it acceptable. In fact I was an Atheist at one point in my life.

How likely is it that there is either a Deistic god or no god at all..... very high. Unless there is an interventionist god that is messed up in the head, I highly doubt that it exists.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
TheWanderer wrote:Yes I

TheWanderer wrote:

Yes I think it would be better to call my "beliefs" personal theories that are under experimentation and scrutiny.

Great. That's all I hope for is people to be honest about what they believe.

TheWanderer wrote:

Sure, I can see the Atheist position as acceptable by what you guys have concluded through your own studies. I don't agree with it, but I find it acceptable.

But see, the only difference you have from most atheists is that you assign a higher probability to the existence of a creator or interventionist deity. Because you don't believe in Jesus, there is a higher probability of your theories being true than Christian theists. A Mormon belief system would be even more highly improbably since they believe in even more extraordinary claims than most Christians.

TheWanderer wrote:

In fact I was an Atheist at one point in my life.

What in your mind raised the probability of a Deity existing? I was indoctrinated with religion, I changed cause all the lack of evidence, science and history says to me there is no reason to believe there is a Deity.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

TheWanderer
agnostic deistTheist
TheWanderer's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Great. That's all I

Quote:
Great. That's all I hope for is people to be honest about what they believe.

Thanks.

Quote:
But see, the only difference you have from most atheists is that you assign a higher probability to the existence of a creator or interventionist deity. Because you don't believe in Jesus, there is a higher probability of your theories being true than Christian theists. A Mormon belief system would be even more highly improbably since they believe in even more extraordinary claims than most Christians.

You are correct that I don't believe in Jesus, and I do agree with you that the methods that you and I have used to find our beliefs are similar, however we just got different conclusions.

Quote:
What in your mind raised the probability of a Deity existing? I was indoctrinated with religion, I changed cause all the lack of evidence, science and history says to me there is no reason to believe there is a Deity.

What raised it was the fact that I realized that it's possible that just because the religions of the world didn't seem to be correct, didn't mean that there wasn't a God. It just means that those particular models of God were erroneous. The Deistic model, which to me is probably the most likely model, isn't even given a voice among the books put out by the religions of the world (both polytheistic and monotheistic). The best thing Deists have going for them, literature wise, is The Age of Reason by Thomas Paine. This also gave me the insight to ponder Deism (which is really as differentiable as Atheism. Deists only one belief in common with one another that God doesn't interfere in the daily affairs of human beings or any other life-form on Earth. From there Deists can differentiate from there, like many Atheists do with one another.)  though I will admit that I was never a STRONG Atheist during my tenure and even had my doubts.

albedo_00
albedo_00's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello TheWanderer, welcome

Hello TheWanderer, welcome to the forums.

Glad to know you are willing to hear from all sides and then make up your own mind about things. Though, as you have seen, it's a bit more difficult to find a vocal atheist (or any kind of atheist at all) than to find a vocal theist, since atheism, depending on where you live, can sometimes be frowned upon or worst, or simply many atheist are not as eager to be vocal, because they just don't have a "word to spread" so to speak, nor anyone encouraging them to.

TheWanderer wrote:
The reason why I believe this is because of the question that stumps me the most, which is where did the hot dense state come that eventually became the catalyst towards the Big Bang theory (if you know the answer, you can laugh.... I don't particularly mind.).

Personally, I consider myself an agnostic atheist, I've seen a lot of evidence both for and against the existence of god which if it were to be compared in a scale, it would tip towards the no-god side. And yet, despite of this, it was a philosophical argument that made me concede the possibility for god to exist, though I also recognize that this possibility is quite improbable, to say the least. And besides, quoting that old French graffiti: "If god exists, its his problem".

Anyways, I welcome you again to the forums, and look forward to chat with you again. Enjoy yourself!

Lenore, The Cute Little Dead Girl. Twice as good as Jesus.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Deism like Atheism doesn't make money.

TheWanderer wrote:

The Deistic model, which to me is probably the most likely model, isn't even given a voice among the books put out by the religions of the world (both polytheistic and monotheistic).

Well that's easy to understand why. There is no money to be made from your non-interventionist god. Religion makes money by convincing morons they can get GOD to help them out.

Let me ask you this. Before Darwin, most Deists would say God created each species of life, the earth and each planet. Now many accept Evolution and the Big Bang as an acceptable explanations. So now god is pretty much relegated to being the origin for the big bang. Your god to me seems to be whatever sciences has yet to explain(the god of gaps). So if science discovered the origin of the Big Bang, you'd have to change what god is responsible for?

TheWanderer
agnostic deistTheist
TheWanderer's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Well that's easy

EXC wrote:
Well that's easy to understand why. There is no money to be made from your non-interventionist god. Religion makes money by convincing morons they can get GOD to help them out.

That is something I can't deny.

EXC wrote:
Let me ask you this. Before Darwin, most Deists would say God created each species of life, the earth and each planet. Now many accept Evolution and the Big Bang as an acceptable explanations. So now god is pretty much relegated to being the origin for the big bang. Your god to me seems to be whatever sciences has yet to explain(the god of gaps). So if science discovered the origin of the Big Bang, you'd have to change what god is responsible for?

That's because Deists don't restrict themselves with rules that are set in stone like major religions. Also Deists aren't like Christians, after the whole "God is non-interventionist" thing they pretty much branch off from there. Just like Atheists with the whole "There is no God" thing, all Atheists believe that then sort of branch off. For example there are Spiritual Atheists, such as Taoists and some Buddhist sects, and then there are Secular Atheists like yourself.

Now as for your question of what would happen if the origin of the Big Bang were to be discovered.... it would have to depend on the answer. If it disproves God totally then I would go towards Atheism and vice versa.

albedo_00 wrote:

Hello TheWanderer, welcome to the forums.

Glad to know you are willing to hear from all sides and then make up your own mind about things. Though, as you have seen, it's a bit more difficult to find a vocal atheist (or any kind of atheist at all) than to find a vocal theist, since atheism, depending on where you live, can sometimes be frowned upon or worst, or simply many atheist are not as eager to be vocal, because they just don't have a "word to spread" so to speak, nor anyone encouraging them to.

Actually I live in a very liberal area, so the whole Bible Belt persecution thing is not a problem. In fact I think almost all in my college, in the area, would be very welcoming towards a Secular Organization. It's just that there are either very little secular students (which is possible since it's a small college) or they are not that vocal.

albedo_00 wrote:

Personally, I consider myself an agnostic atheist, I've seen a lot of evidence both for and against the existence of god which if it were to be compared in a scale, it would tip towards the no-god side. And yet, despite of this, it was a philosophical argument that made me concede the possibility for god to exist, though I also recognize that this possibility is quite improbable, to say the least. And besides, quoting that old French graffiti: "If god exists, its his problem".

Anyways, I welcome you again to the forums, and look forward to chat with you again. Enjoy yourself!

That's been me for the last 5 years or so, except for switching back and forth between Theism and Atheism.

Thanks, and that would be great.

BTW, do you guys refute other religions or just Christianity? Because I've only seen you guys do Christianity (since it's mostly Christians that come on here to challenge you, so I understand) and was just curious.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
TheWanderer wrote:BTW, do

TheWanderer wrote:

BTW, do you guys refute other religions or just Christianity? Because I've only seen you guys do Christianity (since it's mostly Christians that come on here to challenge you, so I understand) and was just curious.

Anyone that claims to believe in a god is called into question.  All theist viewpoints are therefore required to prove why they hold such a view.

We're still waiting for someone to bring us some type of evidence.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

albedo_00
albedo_00's picture
User is offlineOffline
TheWanderer wrote:BTW, do

TheWanderer wrote:

Yep, all religions and gods are called into question, however since it seems the majority of this forum's members are from/reside in the western part of the world, we are more directly affected by christianity or one of it's flavors, in fact many here are former christians (I'm a former catholic myself), so because of that christianity gets a lot more of attention.

Lenore, The Cute Little Dead Girl. Twice as good as Jesus.

TheWanderer
agnostic deistTheist
TheWanderer's picture
User is offlineOffline
albedo_00 wrote:TheWanderer

albedo_00 wrote:

TheWanderer wrote:

Yep, all religions and gods are called into question, however since it seems the majority of this forum's members are from/reside in the western part of the world, we are more directly affected by christianity or one of it's flavors, in fact many here are former christians (I'm a former catholic myself), so because of that christianity gets a lot more of attention.

I am a former Sikh so I am just wondering. I've never seen any prominent Atheists really take on Sikhism, even though it has more people than Judaism.

1. Christianity: 2.1 billion
  2. Islam: 1.5 billion
  3. Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion
  4. Hinduism: 900 million
  5. Chinese traditional religion: 394 million
  6. Buddhism: 376 million
  7. primal-indigenous: 300 million
  8. African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million
  9. Sikhism: 23 million
  10. Juche: 19 million
  11. Spiritism: 15 million
  12. Judaism: 14 million

http://adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
TheWanderer wrote:Now as for

TheWanderer wrote:

Now as for your question of what would happen if the origin of the Big Bang were to be discovered.... it would have to depend on the answer. If it disproves God totally then I would go towards Atheism and vice versa.

Science will discover more facts and make conclusions about the orgin of the Big Bang. It will answer some question but then create more questions to be answered, like what is the orgin of the things that caused the big bang.

There can't be any scientific evidence to disprove God because by definition, god is a supernatural entity. He is not bound by the rules of science, nature, evidence or logic. Just as there won't be any evidence disprove Santa Claus or the Easter bunny. I can only say based on the evidence and understanding of the known universe, his existence is extremely remote.

TheWanderer wrote:

I see a lot of arguments refuting belief in a "Flying Spaghetti Monster". I think Christianity is the one form of Theism we are most familiar with because it is influencing(aka poisoning) our society the most.

TheWanderer
agnostic deistTheist
TheWanderer's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Science will

EXC wrote:

Science will discover more facts and make conclusions about the orgin of the Big Bang. It will answer some question but then create more questions to be answered, like what is the orgin of the things that caused the big bang.

There can't be any scientific evidence to disprove God because by definition, god is a supernatural entity. He is not bound by the rules of science, nature, evidence or logic. Just as there won't be any evidence disprove Santa Claus or the Easter bunny. I can only say based on the evidence and understanding of the known universe, his existence is extremely remote.

It is true that scientific evidence can't disprove the concept of a God (at this moment in time). However until it does I must say that I can't rule out the possibility of one existing.

As for Santa Claus not being able to be disproved, that is like apples and oranges. It's easy to disprove a fat guy that wears red and green and delivers gifts to everyone in the world in one night, just by stating the fact that it will never be nighttime simultaneously all over the world.

EXC wrote:

I see a lot of arguments refuting belief in a "Flying Spaghetti Monster". I think Christianity is the one form of Theism we are most familiar with because it is influencing(aka poisoning) our society the most.

Good point.

Sorry I haven't been on lately (been busy).

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
TheWanderer wrote:It is true

TheWanderer wrote:

It is true that scientific evidence can't disprove the concept of a God (at this moment in time). However until it does I must say that I can't rule out the possibility of one existing.

As for Santa Claus not being able to be disproved, that is like apples and oranges. It's easy to disprove a fat guy that wears red and green and delivers gifts to everyone in the world in one night, just by stating the fact that it will never be nighttime simultaneously all over the world.

Actually the rotating christmas eve night would give Santa more time to deliver all his toys around the countries that had christmas celebrations.  If it was nighttime all over the world at the same time he would have a much shorter time period to deliver all the gifts.

I agree that we can't disprove the concept of a god.  That's why I am an Agnostic Atheist.

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
TheWanderer wrote: I've

TheWanderer wrote:

I've also been reading books/essays by Atheists (Satanic Bible, Ayn Rand Essays, Bhagat Singh's "Why I am an Atheist", etc) and I've been reading books by Theists such as the Bible.

I'd recommend that you get away from Anton LaVey and Ayn Rand if you're trying to get a grasp on the modern atheist movement.  If you like Thomas Paine, you're certainly in good company and I doubt anyone here has much to take odds with in The Age of Reason.  If it isn't too obvious a suggestion, you'd do best to start with Richard Dawkins, given how strongly he builds the foundation of atheist with solid science.  There's plenty of Dawkins videos on this site to get you started.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

TheWanderer
agnostic deistTheist
TheWanderer's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:Actually the

Watcher wrote:

Actually the rotating christmas eve night would give Santa more time to deliver all his toys around the countries that had christmas celebrations.  If it was nighttime all over the world at the same time he would have a much shorter time period to deliver all the gifts.

I agree that we can't disprove the concept of a god.  That's why I am an Agnostic Atheist.

Depends where exactly it is. Not all places have night time for the same amount of time during the winter. The places near the south pole have sun light practically all day while places have sunlight for practically no time at all. Therefore he would have to start with the Southern Hemisphere first which would mean that he would have to go at a ridiculously fast pace to reach them in time from the N. Pole (which would most probably be too much for any normal human to handle).

Not meaning to knock you, but what exactly is an Agnostic Atheist? I've read little on it but I haven't been able to wrap my mind around the concept completely. How is it different from normal Agnosticism?

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

I'd recommend that you get away from Anton LaVey and Ayn Rand if you're trying to get a grasp on the modern atheist movement.  If you like Thomas Paine, you're certainly in good company and I doubt anyone here has much to take odds with in The Age of Reason.  If it isn't too obvious a suggestion, you'd do best to start with Richard Dawkins, given how strongly he builds the foundation of atheist with solid science.  There's plenty of Dawkins videos on this site to get you started.

I understand what you are saying about reading guys like Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris, etc. I've learned how smart they are when I watched the 4 Horsemen chat between those three and Dennet (though Hitchen's demeanor can annoy me sometimes).

However I will look for some of the Dawkins vids on this site and check them out to learn more about him.

On that note, I had this situation posed to me by some theist friends some time ago and wondered how you guys would handle it.

One night you are walking in a park in the middle of a safe suburb. There isn't anyone around and no security cameras aren't installed since there aren't that many crimes in this suburban town. As you continue to walk along this path you see something out the corner of your eye. It's a thick wallet that contains about $150 dollars cash, a driver's license, and a credit card. On the driver's license it contains the name of a person, who you never met, and their home address. The question they posed is what sort of reasoning would a non-religious person have to take the money and bring it back to the person. Of course they answered that they would always have God watching them and therefore they would be obliged to return the wallet (though I must say that this is a selfish course of action within itself). However I wonder what sorts of answers you guys can give since there isn't one unified way of thinking among Atheists and other Secularists when it comes to morality (I personally wouldn't think that for instance that Ayn Rand and Karl Marx would have much to agree on in moral). I'd personally went with the Golden Rule and the fact that my conscience would kill me until I do.

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
TheWanderer wrote:On that

TheWanderer wrote:

On that note, I had this situation posed to me by some theist friends some time ago and wondered how you guys would handle it.

One night you are walking in a park in the middle of a safe suburb. There isn't anyone around and no security cameras aren't installed since there aren't that many crimes in this suburban town. As you continue to walk along this path you see something out the corner of your eye. It's a thick wallet that contains about $150 dollars cash, a driver's license, and a credit card. On the driver's license it contains the name of a person, who you never met, and their home address. The question they posed is what sort of reasoning would a non-religious person have to take the money and bring it back to the person. Of course they answered that they would always have God watching them and therefore they would be obliged to return the wallet (though I must say that this is a selfish course of action within itself). However I wonder what sorts of answers you guys can give since there isn't one unified way of thinking among Atheists and other Secularists when it comes to morality (I personally wouldn't think that for instance that Ayn Rand and Karl Marx would have much to agree on in moral). I'd personally went with the Golden Rule and the fact that my conscience would kill me until I do.

This isn't much more than arguement from morality,which theists like to use to imply atheists have no morals. Amazingly enough, a situation like this actually did happen to me. That time and in the instance put forth, I would immediately return it.I wouldn't even have to think about it. I just consider myself a very moral person.

It is ridiculous to think that only members of a one particular religion can have morals. Since only one religion can be true, everybody else has no reason not to go on mad killing sprees? Ask yourself, who do you think is the better person? The one who does good only out of fear of punishment or the one that does good because they want to.

There would be no particular reasoning behind what I would do,other than that it is simply the right thing to do. I don't need an ancient book and ever watching god to tell me that.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
TheWanderer wrote:Depends

TheWanderer wrote:

Depends where exactly it is. Not all places have night time for the same amount of time during the winter. The places near the south pole have sun light practically all day while places have sunlight for practically no time at all. Therefore he would have to start with the Southern Hemisphere first which would mean that he would have to go at a ridiculously fast pace to reach them in time from the N. Pole (which would most probably be too much for any normal human to handle).

Not meaning to knock you, but what exactly is an Agnostic Atheist? I've read little on it but I haven't been able to wrap my mind around the concept completely. How is it different from normal Agnosticism?

The only people that live in Antarctica are researchers.  And the vast majority of them are only there for 4-5 months a year.  There are no children to deliver toys to down there.

People that call themselves Agnostics are in reality agnostic atheists.  They just don't understand the terms.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
TheWanderer wrote:It is true

TheWanderer wrote:

It's not really like apples and oranges, since many deities get similar powers. I, personally, wouldn't say that I'm "agnostic" towards Santa, so I wouldn't say I'm agnostic towards any other magical entity. I say that based on likelyhood. There probably aren't unicorns, either. There could be, but really the possibility is so remote as to not warrant too heavy a discussion.

With the "force that started the universe" though, it's just a dead end. There are lots of good hypotheses going around about the origin of the universe, and "god-thing" isn't the best one, since the idea of a supernatural anything doesn't really help. You can always apply something supernatural to any situation, and arbitrarily. The only problem is that it's not at all necessary.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence