What is your one favorite thing about life?

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline

I was just wondering if we would see a pattern with Atheists or Theists?

My favorite thing would have to be music! In the words of Jimi Hendrix, music is a safe kind of high

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Good start with music.

Good start with music. Also beer. Not shitty beer, like Coors Light. I mean a quality local beer brewed by someone who gives a shit. Also boobs.

I may be alone as a currency speculator on this, but any time that idiot Bernanke opens his mouth, it's like pennies from heaven. Keep talking, big guy. The upspike on a long position, or the total crash on a short position is a beautiful thing.

Conflict sex;

old luggage;

leather-bound books ("I'm kind of a big deal" );

new car smell;

a well designed chair;

rain in the morning;

forest green;

paper;

whipped cream;

refrigeration;

craftsmanship;

water pressure;

Persian rugs;

elbow patches;

spinach and prosciutto crespelle;

card scrapers;

language classes;

houseplants;

the BBC series "planet earth";

work pants;

ice cream;

cooking with gas, and

comfortable socks.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Boobs n Beer

Of course Boobs n Beer are a close second and third. I almost put boobs first, but music edged em out ever so slightly.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
      Can I have 3

Can I have 3 ?

More than one Goddess !

Peace of mind

Pleasure  ..... 

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:Of

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

Of course Boobs n Beer are a close second and third. I almost put boobs first, but music edged em out ever so slightly.

I couldn't just write one thing, it's like a weakness. As soon as the "these are a few of my favourite things" music starts, it's all over.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:What

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:
Everything I don't know yet. =^_^=

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
What is your one favorite

"Everything I don't know yet. =^_^=       

draggycat
draggycat's picture
User is offlineOffline
art, art, and more fuckin

art, art, and more fuckin art. srsly not just as a passion or hobby, but i truly feel that life would be a much more bland, dry, floundering thing without some sort of creative interpretation to stimulate our imaginations (or at least scientific wonder to save its ass). best thing is it can include everything else you love about life including nature and all the beer and boobage you could ever want.

with that out of the way, i can now shamelessly brag that my avie (albeit half-assed) is indeed my own artistic spawn. fear its incomplete cartoony-ness.

also, animals. i may well have shot myself long ago if people were the only species on this planet.

... not that i much expect any of this to coincide with that uniting pattern you're anticipating. sorreh for most probably wasting space in your thread. xD

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I agree

draggycat wrote:

art, art, and more fuckin art.

... not that i much expect any of this to coincide with that uniting pattern you're anticipating. sorreh for most probably wasting space in your thread. xD

I agree, music and art are kinda the same thing. Animals can be more helpful and life affirming than humans can be sometimes. The point of the post was that everyone is different, and I just wanted to see what really was important to everyone. There is no wrong answer. You could say potatoes, God, my car, battlestar galactica...its all your opinion.

draggycat
draggycat's picture
User is offlineOffline
HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:There

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

There is no wrong answer. You could say potatoes, God, my car, battlestar galactica...its all your opinion.

except one. first person to say like, star wars or something, gets assaulted. (and do not dare argue that it's art. xD)

but yeah, thanks for the assurance.

... and potatoes would certainly have to have an interesting explanation.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
draggycat wrote:except one.

draggycat wrote:

except one. first person to say like, star wars or something, gets assaulted. (and do not dare argue that it's art. xD)

Must ... fight ... temptation ... 

draggycat
draggycat's picture
User is offlineOffline
okay hiswillness which one

okay hiswillness which one you itching to do, cause if it's a slimy disgusting can of worms you wanna open, either one will do.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Dunno about Star Wars...

But Fridays at Ten p.m. the best thing about life is Battlestar Galactica. That is a fact, not an opinion. I have spoken! Lol!

draggycat
draggycat's picture
User is offlineOffline
okay ya cool, at like 11

okay ya cool, at like 11 p.m. family guy is the best thing about life too, but if it was your honest answer to "what is your favorite thing about life," you need a new one... and maybe previously mentioned assault for good measure.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Petoria

Giggity Giggity....Butt Scratcher, Butt Scratchaaaa, Butt Scratcher!!! And yes peanut butter jelly time is the best thing on at 11!

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
learning i know that might

learning

i know that might sound cheesy, but i find learning a new idea, or figuring out something complicated that didn't make sense...just simply thrilling...i feel like i get a high off of it when an idea suddenly clicks in and starts making sense

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
  Adventure !

Adventure !

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
MusicLearning/readingMasterin

Music

Learning/reading

Mastering a new skill

Alcohol..(I'm atheist of course I'm a alcoholic)

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I agree with beer - not the

I agree with beer - not the piss-water mass market shit, but a good microbrew/craft brew.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote: 

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Adventure !

Oh, good one! I forgot adventure!

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
draggycat wrote:okay

draggycat wrote:

okay hiswillness which one you itching to do, cause if it's a slimy disgusting can of worms you wanna open, either one will do.

I was going to go on about Star Wars being art, just to annoy you, but then I blacked out from the absurdity of that statement.

Waiting for Oblivion
Waiting for Oblivion's picture
User is offlineOffline
My top

My top ten

1.Art

2.Music

3.Knowledge

4.Philosophy

5.Science

6.Books

7.Sex(Masturbation)

8.Role Playing Games

9.Video Games

10.Movies

Milkshake89
Milkshake89's picture
User is offlineOffline
-Composing music, feeling

-Composing music, feeling music

-Absurdness

-God (Frank Zappa)

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Like so many others, I can't

Like so many others, I can't narrow it down to one, although all things considered, it would be really, really hard for me to give up expertly prepared food.  I'm going to Eric Ripert's restaurant next week, and I've been giddy for two months since I made the reservation.  Last time I was in Philly, I went to Morimoto, and it was amazing.  It was like putting sex, art, and food all together on a plate and then eating it!

Ok... a few other things...

Zappa wouldn't have written "Titties and Beer" unless it was all true.  I like titties and beer.  At the same time.

I overdid music when I was younger and am a bit burned out, but it would be damn hard to give it up.

Wine.

Really good tequila.

Really good gin.

I love the fact that there are too many kinds of beer in the world for me to ever try them all.

Photography.

Gravy.  If you live in the south, you know that gravy makes everything better.

Ok... I'm going to get into real trouble for this one.  I love being smart.  Whether it was luck or all those books my mom read to me when I was a baby, I'm a pretty smart dude, and I'm really glad I'm not dumb.

The last year or so, I've gotten into growing my own herbs for cooking.  We'll see if I grow to love it.  Right now, it's awfully neat.  Oh, last night, I had the season's first asparagus out of my girlfriend's garden.  I love the season's first asparagus.  Pick it right out of the yard, quick rinse, roast at 350 with salt, pepper, olive oil for ten minutes.  Perfect.  Love on a plate.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
My one favorite thing about

My one favorite thing about life is that one day it will end. Without such an assurance, I have difficulty imagining that anything at all could be considered beautiful.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Wow!

LosingStreak06 wrote:

My one favorite thing about life is that one day it will end. Without such an assurance, I have difficulty imagining that anything at all could be considered beautiful.

That is quite a response. I know that mortality is the great equalizer, but while I do not know if you believe in an afterlife that will be eternal(and with a possibility of being very heavenly), I find it hard to think that one could never find anything beautiful if one were immortal. Does this only apply to earthly existence where this life is like a restroom stop in Barstow(Earth) on the way to San Diego's beaches(heaven)?

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
creativity

creativity

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Only one thing??People

Only one thing??

People

Listening to people, watching people, interacting with people, meeting new people, annoying people, hating people, arguing with people...

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Renee, you are annoying

Renee, you are annoying as hell, you put a favorite hot spell on me ! Tickles on you .....

People come and go, but my baby grand is always there, and my guitars ..... Geezz I love my sea doo too .... !

( original)   Billy Joel, Ray Charles - Baby Grand   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY2lY6xO6Fo&NR=1

(instrumental cover)  Baby Grand  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaqhToI2EOU

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:I couldn't

HisWillness wrote:

I couldn't just write one thing, it's like a weakness. As soon as the "these are a few of my favourite things" music starts, it's all over.

Lol! Yeah, unfortunately, I suffer from the same affliction.. so here goes:

dark chocolate!!

watermelon

thunderstorms

aquariums (fish are my favorite animals)

gin & tonic

vodka with girly flavors (sorry, not much of a beer drinker)

learning/thinking

[good] sex

sunsets

ketchup

pickles!

running on the lakefront

rollercoasters

the discovery channel

creating music

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:dark

greek goddess wrote:

dark chocolate!!

I forgot dark chocolate! And sharks. Can't forget sharks.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Don't have one. 

Don't have one.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Peter & Wendy - Candy Girl

Peter & Wendy - Candy Girl (The Archies)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82iz2rGCdEk

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Don't

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Don't have one.

Oh c'mon, Captain - it's not a quiz! You can list off anything you like. Nachos, motorcycles, transistors - you name it.

This may, in fact, be my favourite thread.

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Laughter.

Laughter.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Harry - Mr

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
One thing??

The whole experience of it all I guess would sum it up. The good and the bad, I just love my life, every day something new to experience.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
 - Every image ever drawn

- Every image ever drawn of Optimus Prime punching Megatron.

- The LeRoy Jenkins World of Warcraft skit.

- The Dawkins Rap

- Splashing Fulcrums in Falcon 4.0

- Melting tanks in Jane's USAF.

- Casting Persecute in M:tG, and hitting every single card in my opponent's loaded hand.

- Soft drinks

- Cold pizza

- Good french fries

- Rolling a natural 20

- Writing

- Watching Ghostbusters

- Watching Ghostbusters II

- Seeing someone so beautiful pass by I have to do a double-take.

- Hearing about the day Ted was fried in the chair.

- Hearing Christopher Hitchens talk. About anything. Preferably at length.

- Good piano music.

- Documentary films about cool shit in the ocean.

- Building my snail ecosystem and maintaining it. Long live King Kraw, Lord of the Tankbeasts!

- Making the right call in poker.

- Salivating over the looming release of Spore.

- Using analog controls in games that demand them.

- Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

- Earning an honest paycheck.

- Unloading a full bladder.

- Reading the final confrontation between Harry and Voldemort

...I think that's the tip of the iceberg, at least.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
  Wow,  heathen atheists

Wow,  heathen atheists actually enjoy and care about life ! So who is really the enemy to love (understand)  .....  Well,  those that deny we are god ..... can Jesus save them yet ?   Buddha ?      Sheezzzz, such sorrow, empathy, I feel to the religious sheep and their hell  .....  I cry a river ...... 

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
One more time cuz I AM, 

One more time cuz I AM,  can

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82iz2rGCdEk   

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
How the hell did I forget

How the hell did I forget motorbikes!? I love the little guys,even when they give trouble always(always) Nothing like being isolated in your helmet speeding along.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
the bibleanti-abortion

the bible

anti-abortion rallies

j/k

Slimm
Superfan
Slimm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Electronics & the female

Electronics & the female body...

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
A theist...

jmm wrote:

the bible

anti-abortion rallies

j/k

A theist...with a sense of humour? My worldview is crumbling! Jk

Larty
Larty's picture
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:

Only one thing??

People

Listening to people, watching people, interacting with people, meeting new people, annoying people, hating people, arguing with people...

Oh man. I wish I were more like that. :/

My top-eleven!:

11) Intelligent Design and Creationism. Stupid as hell, but it’s more interesting to see how the supporters’ claims are debunked.

10) Computers and the intenet. All information ever recorded right at your fingertips… Awesome.

9) Science-fiction books. They are the only good, entertaining books out there.

Cool Philosophy.

7) Cool animals, such as ants, giant squids and scorpions.

6) Movies, especially ones about comic books or cartoons.

5) Video-games.

4) Microscopic life. The complexity is so amazing, it’s hard to believe they evolved, and were not designed by the creator of the universe.

3) Physics. The most incomprehensible aspect of our universe is that it’s comprehensible.

2) Biology and evolution. The thought of complex life arising by something as simple as evolution is far more inspiring than any ideas offered by Intelligent Design.

1) Studying! Nothing beats the awesomeness of learning things that have puzzled me for a long time, and finally understanding them.

Trust and believe in no god, but trust and believe in yourself.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Slimm wrote:Electronics &

Slimm wrote:

In combination?

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Slimm

HisWillness wrote:

Slimm wrote:

In combination?

Kinky.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness

HisWillness wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Don't have one.

Oh c'mon, Captain - it's not a quiz! You can list off anything you like. Nachos, motorcycles, transistors - you name it.

This may, in fact, be my favourite thread.

I don't really like anything.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: I

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I don't really like anything.

It sounds like you're depressed. Happens to everyone at some point, but if it's persistent, send me a private message to discuss. I'm not qualified as a counsellor or anything, but I know what has helped me in the past.

Dray
User is offlineOffline
Waking up on my own

Waking up on my own time

Empty streets

Comfortable silence (seriously... some people just dont stop talking)

Helping complete strangers

... and boobs.  Natural.  I'ts no fun when they hardly bounce.