What is Hell?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
What is Hell?

I've got some time to kill, so I figured I'd peruse the interwebs and see if I could find some descriptions of the punishment the all powerful and all loving god has instituted for the unpardonable sin of not believing in a silly story.

Quote:
Wide was the place,
And deep as wide, and ruinous as deep.
Beneath I saw a lake of burning fire,
With tempest tost perpetually, and still
The waves of fiery darkness, gainst the rocks
Of dark damnation broke, and music made
Of melancholy sort; and over head,
And all around, wind warred with wind, storm howled
To storm, and lightning forked lightning, crossed,
And thunder answered thunder, muttering sound
Of sullen wrath; and far as sight could pierce,
Or down descend in caves of hopeless depth,
Thro' all that dungeon of unfading fire,
I saw most miserable beings walk,
Burning continually, yet unconsumed;
Forever wasting, yet enduring still;
Dying perpetually, yet never dead.
Some wandered lonely in the desert flames,
And some in fell encounter fiercely met,
With curses loud, and blasphemies, that made
The cheek of darkness pale; and as they fought,
And cursed, and gnashed their teeth, and wished to die
Their hollow eyes did utter streams of wo.
And there were groans that ended not, and sighs
That always sighed, and tears that ever wept,
And ever fell, but not in Mercy's sight
And Sorrow, and Repentance, and Despair,
Among them walked, and to their thirsty lips
Presented frequent cups of burning gall.
And as I listened, I heard these being curse
Almighty God, and curse the Lamb, and curse
The Earth, the Resurrection morn, and seek,
And ever vainly seek for utter death.
And to their everlasting anguish still,
The thunders from above responding spoke
These words, which thro' the caverns of perdition
Forlornly echoing, fell on every ear-
"Ye knew your duty but ye did it not" * * *
The place thou saw'st was Hell; the groans thou heard'st
The wailings of the damned-of those who would
Not be redeemed-and at the judgment day,
Long past for unrepented sins were damned.
The seven loud thunders which thou heard'st, declare
The eternal wrath of the Almighty God.
* * There in utter darkness, far
Remote, I beings saw forlorn in wo.
Burning, continually yet unconsumed.
And there were groans that ended not, and sighs
That always sighed, and tears that ever wept
And ever fell, but not in Mercy's sight;
And still I heard these wretched beings curse
Almighty God, and curse the Lamb, and curse
The Earth, the Resurrection morn, and seek,
And ever vainly seek for utter death;
And from above the thunders answered still,
"Ye know your duty, but ye did it not."

http://www.tentmaker.org/books/TheBibleHell.html

Quote:
[A]ll that are in Hell will be judged by God at the Great White Throne Judgment after Jesus Christ has come back to this earth to rule and reign for 1,000 years. They will be judged for their wickedness and then cast into a place called the Lake of Fire. We do know that it is an eternal judgment. We also know that it swallows up Hell. The Lake of Fire will be eternal suffering.

http://www.thelionofjudah.org/whatishell.htm

To be fair, there are some who don't believe in hell, Richard Ames, for instance:

Quote:

The wicked will be totally destroyed. They will receive the eternal death penalty. Malachi continues with the description, "‘You shall trample the wicked, For they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet on the day that I do this,’ says the Lord of hosts" (Malachi 4:3).
     Those who have sealed their own fate, those who have determined never to repent of their evil attitude and nature, will be totally burned up and will become ashes! They will not be tormented forever. They will be totally annihilated!
     Many people have wondered why, if God is such a just God, He condemns people to suffer for all eternity when they have never had a real chance to hear, believe or act upon the gospel. The answer is simple: He does not do that! God is just and fair.

http://www.tomorrowsworld.org/cgi-bin/tw/tw-mag.cgi?category=Magazine1&item=1103817219

Then again, here's what most people who believe in hell think of... This is the good stuff:

Quote:
Revelation 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Try to imagine for every second, throughout eternity, your body with the most excruciating sunburn. Add to that the awful pain of your whole frame scalded with boiling water. To this, add the agony of bodily movement. The skin stretches. Untold daggers of pain flash through your body. You want to hold still, but the burning from the flames will not allow it. The bubbling brimstone makes you scream. Your hair is on fire. Your feet and hands blister, while you gnaw your tongue, trying to relieve the torment. Your throat is raw from screaming and wailing. Spasms of anguish drop you into the molten lava. You go under the surface gnashing your teeth. The burning brimstone flows into your mouth; runs down your throat and into your stomach. You are on fire inside and outside. Lava, red hot and smoking, flows in your ears. As your eyes try to focus in the endless, everlasting, permanent dwelling place of total torment and torturess surroundings with your burning and a feeling of melting of your eyes overwhelms you, you look and focus on worms that have totally engulfed your body. They are crawling on and in you. You can feel them. A scream comes from your burning, flaming, fiery lips. A cry for "Water" is felt throughout your whole being.

You are falling in the darkness. You feel something solid. Oh, if you only could stop falling! Your body tries to cling to the solid surface. Suddenly...you are slipping. Again, you fall into the bubbling lake. You swallow another mouthful of burning slime. The horrid smell of blazing sulphur combine with the sickening odor of burning hair and scorched flesh. Nausea overwhelms you.

Something suddenly reaches out of the darkness and grasps you in terror. They begin to gnash on you with their teeth. All the time you are both screaming at the top of your lungs. You shake the gnashing person off in the darkness. Breathing heavily from the concentrated exertion, you fill your lungs with smoke. While you cough and gasp, the word "WATER!!!" escapes your inflamed lips again. Your throat is on fire. Your tongue feels like a white-hot iron against the parched roof of your mouth. Your gums pulsate with agony, while every nerve in your teeth stabs you with flashes of indescribable permanent pain.

The roar of the flames and the piercing screams of the doomed and the damned seem to tear at your eardrums. Oh, for just a moment of silence! But it never comes.

You can't run away this time. Thoughts of law-abiding so-called Christians didn't tell you of this place. Additionally, your thoughts go to and fro from the time you were in a Bible-believing, preaching church. Thoughts you can so clearly remember. You remember the time when the preacher was talking to you about this hopeless place of darkness and pain. He talked about Jesus and His saving Blood.......

"He told me that I was a sinner! Now I accept Jesus as my Saviour. I accept what He did for me on the cross. Can't you hear me? I want to be saved! You know, born again! What the preacher said! Won't you listen? Can't you hear? Another scream escapes your burning lips.!"

For eternity you scream those words again and again, over and over, repeating these words, but alas, they go nowhere. Words, meaningless words that can't be heard by God Almighty, but by the doomed. I want to be born again! Can't you hear me! Why didn't someone tell me! Why didn't they continue to tell me when I had ignored them! Didn't they care! The doomed tell you it won't work. Your words are not heard. The living and their prayers can't help. Their money won't help you here. You are condemned here for eternity just as we are. Another scream escapes your burning lips, "NO!"

http://www.biblebelievers.com/Nimeskern1.html

Be afraid.  Be very afraid.  God loves you.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
With friends like that...

With friends like that...

carx
carx's picture
User is offlineOffline
I live next to hell

I live next to hell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hel%2C_Poland

Its nice , Borat approves

http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hel (element)

Warning I’m not a native English speaker.

http://downloads.khinsider.com/?u=281515 DDR and game sound track download

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
It sounds like someone took

It sounds like someone took a trip to an active volcano!

Mount baker

Mount Etna

Hawaiin hotspots

I wonder how much of those writing about hell are retelling stories of volcanic eruptions and how much is made up. And if it is made up how did they grasp the concept to begin with...volcanoes?

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
John Paul II View on Hell

John Paul II held that hell was being out of God's merciful love by choice ( from his General Audience July 28, 1999:

see link: http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/audiences/1999/documents/hf_jp-ii_aud_28071999_en.html

Quote:

The Book of Revelation also figuratively portrays in a “pool of fire” those who exclude themselves from the book of life, thus meeting with a “second death” (Rv 20:13f.). Whoever continues to be closed to the Gospel is therefore preparing for “eternal destruction and exclusion from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might” (2 Thes 1:9).

3. The images of hell that Sacred Scripture presents to us must be correctly interpreted. They show the complete frustration and emptiness of life without God. Rather than a place, hell indicates the state of those who freely and definitively separate themselves from God, the source of all life and joy. This is how the Catechism of the Catholic Church summarizes the truths of faith on this subject: “To die in mortal sin without repenting and accepting God’s merciful love means remaining separated from him for ever by our own free choice. This state of definitive self-exclusion from communion with God and the blessed is called ‘hell’” (n. 1033).

So basically if you die separated from God you remain in that state which he defines as Hell. In addition by inference no mention is made of a Heavenly cloud place either. So WTF is the entire Christian game about then? I know, money and power.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Hell is other people." --

"Hell is other people." -- Sartre.

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dante still rules. I like

Dante still rules. I like the cup of burning gall.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
War?

I thought war was hell? No?

I remember seeing those Bosch paintings when I was a child, and I think that pretty much formalized my conception of hell. Reading Dante's Inferno in 9th grade only reiterated those pictures in my mind. Growing up Methodist, hell wasn't really mentioned much. The focus of sin and punishment wasn't really the main message of my church. I think I formed most of what I thought that entailed getting into hell from reading the bible(by myself not in church), and I pondered to myself...who goes to hell and why? Are there extenuating circumstances? Which rules must be absolutely obeyed? Can I really lead a horrible life, repent at the end, and expect all to be forgiven?

I remember back when I was a true believer I always had trouble reconciling what I heard in church, ie; God was love, God was mercy, jesus taught socially responsible ethics, and had a penchant for helping his fellow man, etc., with actually reading some of the things in the Gospel that Jesus said:

Matt 8:12 But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

There are a lot more(not that I will recite them all here), but I could never compartmentalize completely of one person(who is God in human form, therefore infallible) who is supposed to be completely loving, but has bouts of anger and condemnation so often. I had questions then, but my indoctrination and fairly benign sect, didn't really provide me with an onus to question that much about hell.

I was always concerned with Revelations, and the happenings of the final days on earth. I had a minister loan me a book concerning it when I was 13 or 14. I naively asked her what would happen at the end of times. She was actually pretty nice and informed me that not many people had asked for about judgment day and the end of times. She said something to the effect that, "Only God Knows." Then she gave me a book about Revelations and told me to search for the answers myself. It was a pretty good way of dodging the question. I don't think she had the slightest idea, and I am glad she didn't give me some mumbo jumbo story because I just might have believed it.

Anyways, here is a pic of what I thought hell looked like.

http://www.capperi.net/bosch_hell.jpg

http://itrs.scu.edu/arth12/bosch_hell_large.jpg

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

albedo_00
albedo_00's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tilberian wrote:Dante still

Tilberian wrote:

Dante still rules. I like the cup of burning gall.

Damn, you beat me to it. But I agree, Dante's hell rules, with Milton's hell as a close second. I would love to see an artist's rendering of pandemonium as he described it, or better yet, of the God vs Satan fight in heaven, with Satan using big-ass powder cannons, and god using freakshow fire-spiting chariots with eyes on the weels.

[Edit] A playful thought just occurred to me: On what circle of Dante's hell do you think you would wind up? Personally, I think I would go either to the second circle (the lustful, eehehehe, naughty me) or in the seventh circle, third ring (you know, for the whole blaspheming thing)

Lenore, The Cute Little Dead Girl. Twice as good as Jesus.

albedo_00
albedo_00's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Hell is the absence of

"Hell is the absence of reason"

Welcome to Hell, where there's always a seat for you. Now with plasma!

Lenore, The Cute Little Dead Girl. Twice as good as Jesus.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
@#$%^&*()_+Arthur Brown

@#$%^&*()_+

Arthur Brown (born Arthur Wilton, 24 June1942, Whitby, Yorkshire) is an Englishrock and rollsinger best known for his flamboyant, theatrical style and significant influence on shock-rockers Alice Cooper and Kiss, and for his number one hit in the UK Singles Chart "Fire" in 1968

Arthur Brown - Fire    ((( hells fire , who invented hell ? How come ?  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCClFi-dQFk&feature=related

carbon based earth life and hell,   ummm   

a "Psychotic Reaction" ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As-PFa-a4PU

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Korean Baby Singing Hey

Korean Baby Singing Hey Jude  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNHLywCfnHI  

HELL ?  tell the kid                                                                    ???????????????????????????????????????  nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
You know, I think hell is

You know, I think hell is real. I think that every once in a while people get so wrapped up in themselves that in their final moments they descend into a kind of mortal nightmare - a hell of their own making - not unlike the movie Jacob's Ladder.

I mean, if someone really hated themself/felt that guilty about everything what better circumstances could there be for a psychotic episode than bludgeoning death's door?

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
  "There is no hell. Hell

"There is no hell. Hell is only what the ego has made of the present." (source: ACIM)

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

RatDog
atheist
User is offlineOffline
God is love. Unless you

God is love.

Unless you reject him.

What Is Hell

Do you feel the love yet?

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
[url=http://maps.google.com/m

Here's where Hell is.

With almost 300 residents, it's quite a small town in Michigan. It freezes over every year, and I think it's trying to capitalize on it's name, here's the website: http://www.hell2u.com/

You can get a dimploma from it's non-accredited college, and you can eat ice cream.

Fun town. Perhaps it'll end up like Salem, MA and be all commercialized for halloween someday.