Atheism ate your baby!

salsero
User is offlineOffline
Atheism ate your baby!

Well, maybe that's not quite the accusation, but it comes pretty close to the one we've heard all the time, that atheism created all those 20th century evil-doers - Stalin, Hitler, Mao...

As someone with a formal education in Russian history and communist ideology, I figured I'd address this canard with an in-depth article debunking it on my blog. I know of no more thorough treatment of this subject. Please let me know what you think.

Read Was atheism the cause of 20th century atrocities?

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
That was superb. I

That was superb. I especially appreciated 2) and 4).

In 2),  I would've like to have read just a little bit more about the influence of

Grigori Rasputin rather than access a Wiki link. Really good stuff though, thanks.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Captured ... amending and

Captured ... amending and emailing that .... thanks. Welcome to RRS.

arkham1999
arkham1999's picture
User is offlineOffline
Overall I liked your article

Overall I liked your article it was very informative, my only critique is the inadequate coverage of any substantive proof that Hitler was an atheist.  I understand that your area of emphasis is centered in Russian History and Communist ideology and feel that you cannot comment authoritatively regarding the Hitler/Nazi regime, it might have been a better idea to omit the mention of Hitler altogether and focus on your specialty.  For casual readers who shall we say are possessed of an short attention span could get the wrong idea (the only comment stating he was not a atheist is 6 paragraphs into the article).  The only reason I mention this is from my casual research on the internet and love of history, Hitler has become a bit of a poster child for the evils of atheism because he garnered the highest body count of all of the atrocities in the twentieth century.  Outside that the article is well done and informative, well done.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Hitler and Martin ????Hey

Hitler and Martin ????

Hey Lutherans, etc, here's some christian Hitler love for ya, you gotta read this people. 

"Saint" Martin Luther's Advice for dealing with the Jews
http://www.awitness.org/books/luther/on_jews_and_their_lies_p2.html

..... his instructions to 'take their gold and possessions', burn down their property, remove them from the country, as well as his talk, in a later section of his eassay of 'killing the Jews' and his advice that one should 'shake the dust from our shoes, and say, " We are innocent of your blood."

salsero
User is offlineOffline
Much appreciated Wonko.

Much appreciated Wonko. I'll consider adding more about Rasputin. But the real story, in my opinion, was the exceedingly close relationship between the Orthodox Church and the Russian tsars. Rasputin, who I don't believe was necessarily an official representative of the Church, was just a symptom of a much larger problem. When Lenin came to power, the Orthodox Church was especially brutalized, which I tend to think was a reaction to its former heavy influence.

salsero
User is offlineOffline
Overall I liked your article
Overall I liked your article it was very informative, my only critique is the inadequate coverage of any substantive proof that Hitler was an atheist.

Some of the feedback I'm getting is asking for a fuller treatment of the alleged atheism/Hitler connection. I think the evidence is so strongly opposed to this notion, that to seriously entertain it is to give it more credence than it deserves. But you're right, theists do frequently mention it, so it may well be worth investigating it more fully.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yep.  There are so many

Yep.  There are so many direct quotes from Hitler himself referring to his religion that it's absurd to call him an atheist.  The only reasonable argument I've ever heard is that there may be some evidence that he was distancing himself from the Catholic church towards the end of his life.  While this may be true, the only evidence I've ever seen is that this action was political, not philosophical.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Yep. 

Hambydammit wrote:

Yep.  There are so many direct quotes from Hitler himself referring to his religion that it's absurd to call him an atheist.  The only reasonable argument I've ever heard is that there may be some evidence that he was distancing himself from the Catholic church towards the end of his life.  While this may be true, the only evidence I've ever seen is that this action was political, not philosophical.

Yeah. Adolf definitely wasn't an atheist. He was, in fact, deeply interested occultist. You know, the secret society of Thule, the nazi exploration of Tibet, and the Spear of destiny on his bedside table. He was staring at the spear even when he still was a poor student in Vienna. An atheist wouldn't give a crap about this antiquity.
You could also read something about a cosmology of 3rd reich, the theory of fire and ice, by Hans Hörbiger, this was mandatory for all scientists in Germany to swear and subscribe, that they believe in it.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.