Science disproves another "benefit of religion."

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Science disproves another "benefit of religion."

Religion helps people cope with death, right?  There's some evidence to the contrary...

Quote:
Patients Who Rely on Religion to Cope Are More Likely to Have Aggressive Medical Care

March 17, 2009 — Terminally ill cancer patients who relied on their religious faith to help them cope with their disease were more likely to receive aggressive medical care during their last week of life, a study shows.

Patients who engaged in what the researchers called positive religious coping, which included prayer, meditation, and religious study, ended up having more intensive life-prolonging interventions such as mechanical ventilation or cardiopulmonary resuscitation.

The study is published in the latest edition of The Journal of the American Medical Association.

The patients who reported a high level of positive religious coping at the start of the study were almost three times as likely to receive mechanical ventilation and other life-prolonging medical care in the last week of life as patients who said they relied less on their religious beliefs to help them deal with their illness.

Curiously, the researchers missed an obvious explanation for this in their assessment:

Quote:
It is not entirely clear why terminally ill patients who report relying more on their religion would choose more life-prolonging medical interventions.

But researchers say these patients may be less likely to believe their doctors when they are told there is no hope. 

“There may be a sense that it is really not in the hands of the doctors to decide when to give up,” study researcher Holly G. Prigerson, PhD, of Boston’s Dana-Farber Cancer Institute tells WebMD. “Refusing some of these very aggressive medical interventions may be seen as giving up on the possibility that God might intervene.”

Or... duh... maybe religion really doesn't help people prepare for death, and they're fucking scared of dying.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
More proof that theists are

More proof that theists are really atheists in the closet.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
With the whole hell aspect,

With the whole hell aspect, I'm not the least surprised that christians are more afraid of death than atheists. We're not the ones facing a potential infinity of doom.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
But, but, "everyone knows"

But, but, "everyone knows" that even if religion is untrue, it does provide 'comfort'...

No-one in general wants to acknowledge that religion may not be such an great source of comfort, especially when it really might be needed....

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Bob, I'm beginning to

Bob, I'm beginning to doubt that religion actually adds any comfort.  This study alerted me to my own acceptance of that little platitude.  When I thought about it, I realized that I've known atheists who've died who handled it just fine.  I'm an atheist, and I handled my dad's death (drawn out and painful, by the way) just fine.  I sat on my grandfather's death bed and said goodbye, and I handled that fine, too.

The more I think about it, the more I'm beginning to suspect that there are no theists in foxholes, and there's no comfort in religion.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
I read about another study

I read about another study involving prayer, I don't remember where, I read a lot of magazines like Skeptical Inquirer, Humanist, etc and I believe it was in one of them. In this study patients with serious conditions were told they were being prayed for by groups from around the world while others were not told anything.  The study was supposed to be on the efficacy of prayer.  Anyway, those who were told they were being prayed for fared worse than the others, apparently because they left everything in god's hands and made no effort on their own believing god would answer other's selfless prayers.  The mind can be a powerful thing in its own right.

Coping with a serious illness on your own with only your belief may not be as comforting as having a bunch of people around the world praying for you.  Personally, I agree with Vastet.  I think they were like I percieve most fundies to be; they break almost every commandment every day and ask forgiveness on Sunday, but deep down they know they're going to hell.   That's why they fought so hard at the end.

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

fatty
User is offlineOffline
I saw this article and I

I saw this article and I would have to say that this doesn't really prove anything one way or another about religion.  From what I remember of it I didn't see any numbers so we have no idea exactly how many people were in the study etc.  It could have just been chance, it could just be that christians in that demographic location are more prone, or it could even be biased (although I would hope it wasn't if it was in a medical journal).

I'm a christian and I'm honestly not afraid of dying, please try not to generalize too much.

...i hope this works, i'm a bit of a forumn noob

Yes I am a Christian. I'm sorry that there are jerks out there that have done bad things all in the name of, I ask that you don't judge all of us because of the acts of those few. I pray that you're having a great day today. Since that doesn't mean much to most people on this site lets just say that I really really hope you have an awesome day. God bless. -fatty

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
fatty wrote:I saw this

fatty wrote:

I saw this article and I would have to say that this doesn't really prove anything one way or another about religion.  From what I remember of it I didn't see any numbers so we have no idea exactly how many people were in the study etc.  It could have just been chance, it could just be that christians in that demographic location are more prone, or it could even be biased (although I would hope it wasn't if it was in a medical journal).

I'm a christian and I'm honestly not afraid of dying, please try not to generalize too much.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7949111.stm is the link.

The Article wrote:

"Researchers followed 345 patients with terminal cancer up until their deaths."

"Those who regularly prayed were more than three times more likely to receive intensive life-prolonging care than those who relied least on religion."

"The team's report was published in the Journal of the American Medical Association."

They mention that the more religious people were less likely to sign DNR papers. I speculate that  this may be because signing a DNR might be percieved as akin to suicide by the more religion persons. *shrug*

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline

fatty wrote:

Actually, I wasn't generalizing too much.  I was talking mainly about fundies, you know, the young earthers, those who believe jesus rode around on a dinosaur, that the bible is literal and true in every instance.  Most moderate and liberal xtians I know tend to look at hell as figurative, not literal.

[edit]

Also, I tend to agree with your opinion of the article itself, there was not much substance to what was in print for general consumption.  The numbers weren't there but that doesn't mean there isn't something to the study.

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:The more I

Hambydammit wrote:

The more I think about it, the more I'm beginning to suspect that there are no theists in foxholes, and there's no comfort in religion.

How about there are no true theists 100% of the time. Except perhaps a few in the psychotic wards of mental hospitals.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Christos
Theist
Christos's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think you guys are kidding

I think you guys are kidding yourselves if you think that religion doesn't provide serious comfort to people who are facing death or grave situations. I've spent a lot of time in the West Bank of Palestine. And I can tell you that Isalm (and Orthodox Christianity for a much smaller percentage of Palestinians) is a source of great comfort to people facing trauma. I've been to refugee camps and seen IDF raids, and I know that religion provides a great deal of comfort for Muslims caught in between as victims of the conflict with Israel. That's because many times, their religion is all they have in the face of poverty and violence.

The same goes for Jews on the other side of the conflict. I knew a man whose Yeshiva was blown up last spring (2008). His religious beliefs were extrememly comforting for him in the face of trauma.

The idea that "there are no theists in foxholes," to me is a statement that utterly fails when faced with observing religious people in seriously traumatic situations.

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." (CS Lewis)

"A young man who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful of his reading." (CS Lewis)

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Hmm... Let me see if I can

Hmm... Let me see if I can explain it a little better.  I'm still forming this line of thought, so it might or might not pan out.

I'm not suggesting that there are no people who genuinely believe they'll see their loved ones after death, and that they don't take comfort in the idea.  That would be absurd.  What I'm suggesting is that on an objective level, people who believe in such things are not more comforted or more at ease than those who don't.

It's admittedly a hard thing to measure, but studies like this one are a step in that direction.  What I'm saying is that I think belief in an afterlife is not a special benefit to people.  Everyone just accepts the belief that theists are more comforted than non-theists because that's what religion addresses in such detail.

Not that a personal example proves anything, but I feel much more at ease about the whole process of living and dying than I did when I believed in an afterlife.  I realize that I will never see my dead loved ones again, and it's ok.  I'm happy with the time I had with them.  I'm ok with my own mortality.  I live well, and when I die, I'll die.  

I guess what it comes down to is the more I learn about the way the human mind works, the more I suspect that people don't actually need many of the things religion says they need.  I believe future research will bear this out.

Books about atheism

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christos wrote:I think you

Christos wrote:

I think you guys are kidding yourselves if you think that religion doesn't provide serious comfort to people who are facing death or grave situations.

You say this, but it's obvious who's really kidding themselves. There's an actual study posted, and the best you can do is offer your own words in opposition. Try some evidence for once.

Christos wrote:
 I've spent a lot of time in the West Bank of Palestine. And I can tell you that Isalm (and Orthodox Christianity for a much smaller percentage of Palestinians) is a source of great comfort to people facing trauma.

Studies, not your personal perceptions and biases.

Christos wrote:
 I've been to refugee camps and seen IDF raids, and I know that religion provides a great deal of comfort for Muslims caught in between as victims of the conflict with Israel. That's because many times, their religion is all they have in the face of poverty and violence.

Provide evidence.

Christos wrote:

The same goes for Jews on the other side of the conflict. I knew a man whose Yeshiva was blown up last spring (2008). His religious beliefs were extrememly comforting for him in the face of trauma.

Ignoring for the moment that you haven't proved any of this, or that any of it is really what these people experience, you've done well in showing that religion is a fuel that keeps the fire burning. On all sides.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline

fatty wrote:

I saw this article and I would have to say that this doesn't really prove anything one way or another about religion.

Certainly not. No study provides proof. This is just evidence to contradict the popular notion that religion confers some special benefit that wouldn't otherwise be available to a person.

Hamby, I think the study shows that people who are willing to try anything are willing to try anything. Christos reinforces that by saying that sometimes, all these people have is their religion. Understandable, then, that they would use whatever focus they had at their disposal to detract from the effects of trauma. If all they had was some other cultural ritual, they would most likely use that. Apparently, that alternative isn't available to many people.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline

fatty wrote:

You don't know how you would react under those conditions unless you have personally been faced with the imminent prospect of your own death.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:fatty

BobSpence1 wrote:

fatty wrote:

You don't know how you would react under those conditions unless you have personally been faced with the imminent prospect of your own death.

Yeah, you have to be a little afraid of dying, at least, or there's something wrong with you.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 By the way, I realize I

By the way, I realize I shouldn't have used the word "disprove" in the title.  Sometimes coming up with a short title is hard.  I didn't want to write "Science provides evidence in support of the hypothesis that religion doesn't provide as much comfort for some people as is commonly thought."

Books about atheism

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I got a good term for ya.

I got a good term for ya. "Science questions another "benefit of religion""

Smiling

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Heh... Simple, elegant,

Heh... Simple, elegant, and accurate.  I like it.

Books about atheism

Christos
Theist
Christos's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Hmm...

Hambydammit wrote:

Hmm... Let me see if I can explain it a little better.  I'm still forming this line of thought, so it might or might not pan out.

I'm not suggesting that there are no people who genuinely believe they'll see their loved ones after death, and that they don't take comfort in the idea.  That would be absurd.  What I'm suggesting is that on an objective level, people who believe in such things are not more comforted or more at ease than those who don't.

Yeah, I essentially agree with you Hamby. I think belief in the afterlife adds a certain level of assurance that an atheist cannot have. But I agree that a religious person isn't necessarily more at ease when facing death than an atheist. 

Hambydammit wrote:

Not that a personal example proves anything, but I feel much more at ease about the whole process of living and dying than I did when I believed in an afterlife.  I realize that I will never see my dead loved ones again, and it's ok.  I'm happy with the time I had with them.  I'm ok with my own mortality.  I live well, and when I die, I'll die.  

I have a lot of respect for that.

See Vastet, he used a personal example too. I know it doesn't necessarily prove anything, but it's still very relevant to the discussion.

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." (CS Lewis)

"A young man who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful of his reading." (CS Lewis)

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christos wrote:See Vastet,

Christos wrote:

See Vastet, he used a personal example too. I know it doesn't necessarily prove anything, but it's still very relevant to the discussion.

Truly amazing. You've demonstrated the knowledge that a personal experience is not proof. I'll mark it on the calendar.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Yeah, I essentially

Quote:
Yeah, I essentially agree with you Hamby. I think belief in the afterlife adds a certain level of assurance that an atheist cannot have. But I agree that a religious person isn't necessarily more at ease when facing death than an atheist.

To be perfectly clear, let's not use the word assurance.  Theists toss that word around a lot, but it's not appropriate.  Too many people think of assurances as guarantees, and attribute that level of certainty to the theist belief in an afterlife.  Nobody can give anybody any assurance regarding the afterlife because nobody's ever come back from clinical death to say if they're still alive or not.  All a theist has is a firm belief that they will continue to live after they die.  

Personally, I find the idea of living forever to be horrible.  I wouldn't wish it on anybody.  I find a lot of peace in the belief that when I die, I simply won't exist anymore.  If you like, I feel comforted by the prospect of non-existence.  I am coming to believe that humans generally handle their own mortality quite well when it is presented to them rationally.

Actually, while I'm on personal anecdotes, let me recount some of my thinking from when I was a Christian.  I was smart enough to realize that all the talk in the world about being 100% certain of my belief couldn't make it 100% certain.  I was keenly aware that there were other religions that promised hell to nonbelievers.  No matter how much I tried to convince myself that I had nothing to fear, the fact that I believed there was some afterlife caused more fear in me than I have now.  In other words, believing in an afterlife forced me to  question whether or not I had chosen the correct path to an afterlife.  Though I thought I'd probably go to heaven when I died, I wasn't a hundred percent sure... there was always the real and terrifying possibility that Christians were wrong and Muslims were right, or maybe that Catholics were right and Baptists were wrong... or whatever.  The point is, my belief in an afterlife was not as comforting as my current belief in a non-afterlife.  I have no lingering doubts about waking up in hell because hell is an absurd concept and certainly does not exist unless the universe is so amazingly unlike it appears that I must be insane or otherwise fooled.  Such fears are pointless since there's nothing I can do if that is the case.

Do you get what I'm talking about?  Without the religious notion of an afterlife to begin with, we eliminate a reason to fear death.  Rather than offer comfort, it actually gives us one more thing to worry about.

Books about atheism

Christos
Theist
Christos's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, I understand what you

Yeah, I understand what you mean Hamby. And I probably should have used the word "comfort" instead of "assurance." However, I don't necessarily think that living forever is a bad thing. If I believed in something like that (which I do not)I think that I would enjoy spending eternity with family and friends. Also, you make a good point that contemplating the afterlife can actually add more stress. However, I have met atheists who have told me that they are scared of not existing. That doesn't seem to bother you, but I can see how the idea of non-existence can also be stressful.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I guess what it comes down

I guess what it comes down to is this.  Some people are afraid of not existing.  Others aren't.  This would surely be the case with or without religion.  I'm becoming convinced that the promise of an afterlife might seem like it would comfort, but in reality, it doesn't.  When you add in the stress of possible eternal punishment, the smart money seems to be on not believing in an afterlife and dealing with whatever fear you have -- at least you're minimizing the things you have to worry about.

Not that this would be a good logical reason to become an atheist... it wouldn't... but you get my point, right?  Here's an interesting breakdown:

1) Afterlife with reward and punishment -- adds stress

2) Afterlife with only reward -- fine... but... what's the punch line?  Why follow the religion?  I can't think of any religions that say, "Hey, there's an afterlife, and it's really awesome.  That's all.  Go about your business and have a great life.

3) No afterlife -- ok, so deal with death.  It sucks, but everybody does it.

It seems to me that the only reason to mention an afterlife is to try to get people to do things the way you want.  That doesn't line up with the evolutionary purpose of religion being to comfort people about death, and it doesn't line up with the notion that Christians are better at dealing with death than atheists.

Books about atheism

fatty
User is offlineOffline
Bulldog wrote:Actually, I

Bulldog wrote:

Actually, I wasn't generalizing too much....

I meant the first poster, who said "they're fucking scared of dying" not you, sorry, I should of been more specific there.

And yes I suppose I would have to say I'm a little scared of dying but not enough to do everything I can to stay alive.  I suppose I should have said I can be as sure as possible that I'm not that scared of dying...if that makes sense

Thanks for the link, triftem, I couldn't remember where I saw it.  I would have to say there really isn't enough information here to make any judgements about the article, it says that "Researchers followed 345 patients with terminal cancer up until their deaths.

Those who regularly prayed were more than three times more likely to receive intensive life-prolonging care than those who relied least on religion."

However, it doesn't give any numbers about how many people out of the 345 asked doctors to do "do everything to keep them alive as death approaches," it could have been 4 people asked that and three of them were Christians.

...k, no more stats lecturing on my part

God bless.

Yes I am a Christian. I'm sorry that there are jerks out there that have done bad things all in the name of, I ask that you don't judge all of us because of the acts of those few. I pray that you're having a great day today. Since that doesn't mean much to most people on this site lets just say that I really really hope you have an awesome day. God bless. -fatty