What lesson is there in God zapping people out of existence?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
What lesson is there in God zapping people out of existence?

Hi Cap,

In your discussion with PJTS on the OT stories you wrote

caposkia wrote:

Sure, God could have zapped evil men out of existance... as far as I understand, but where's the lesson in that?

Offhand, I'd say it's in the same place as the lesson as eternal punishment in hell.

Why is eternal punishment acceptable and obliteration not acceptable?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Because Cap is not a JW,

Because Cap is not a JW, that's why.

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
There's no lesson in either.

There's no lesson in either. You can't learn your lesson if you don't exist, and there's no point to a lesson if you can't apply it because you learned it in hell, where you will stay forever.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Perfect point.

Perfect point.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

Then again, it's not like any of them are claiming their god is reasonable, just, or loving.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:...your

jcgadfly wrote:
...your discussion with PJTS on the OT stories...

For those of you that may be wondering about the above quote, we refer to it as
Atheist MilitiaSpeak. Refer to your unabridged Atheist MilitiaSpeak Dictionary for further info.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

treat2 wrote:
jcgadfly wrote:
For those of you that may be wondering about the above quote, we refer to it as Atheist MilitiaSpeak. Refer to your unabridged Atheist MilitiaSpeak Dictionary for further info.

I'm sorry, you must not have the new abridged version.

Get in touch with Hamby to get your clearance for it.

By the way, it isn't readable on PDAs.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote:jcgadfly

treat2 wrote:
jcgadfly wrote:
For those of you that may be wondering about the above quote, we refer to it as Atheist MilitiaSpeak. Refer to your unabridged Atheist MilitiaSpeak Dictionary for further info.

For treat2 who is too damned lazy to look for it himself I will happily translate:

Caposkia, in your discussion with pauljohntheskeptic in the forum topic entitled "OT Stories - Myths,Legends, Parables, or Real" you wrote:

I keep forgetting I must indulge the intellectually uncurious.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

The Flying Spag...
Science Freak
The Flying Spaghetti Monster's picture
User is offlineOffline
spike.barnett wrote:There's

spike.barnett wrote:

There's no lesson in either. You can't learn your lesson if you don't exist, and there's no point to a lesson if you can't apply it because you learned it in hell, where you will stay forever.

Unless you believe in reincarnation. Then you really could learn your lesson.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
The Flying Spaghetti Monster

The Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote:

spike.barnett wrote:

Only if you get into a form that can actually use what you've learned.

— George Carlin

The Flying Spag...
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:The Flying

jcgadfly wrote:

spike.barnett wrote:

Yah, I mean if you're wicked enough, coming back as something like an insect isn't going to give you the time or ability to redeem yourself. Reincarnation is such a stupid concept.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline

jcgadfly wrote:

spike.barnett wrote:

Yah, I mean if you're wicked enough, coming back as something like an insect isn't going to give you the time or ability to redeem yourself. Reincarnation is such a stupid concept.

... so if im evil enough... theres the potential to be reincarnated as something thats near-immortal?

...sweet...

What Would Kharn Do?

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nah, if you're evil enough,

Nah, if you're evil enough, you get reborn as something that constantly suffers, like a pissed off ghost or something.

Here's the messed up part, though: If you do too much *good,* you end up being reborn as something that's too distracted by enjoying itself to stop being reborn!

Yeah- Indian philosophy never did quite work the kinks out of that system.

OrdinaryClay wrote:
If you don't believe your non-belief then you don't believe and you must not be an atheist.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
crazymonkie wrote:Nah, if

crazymonkie wrote:

Nah, if you're evil enough, you get reborn as something that constantly suffers, like a pissed off ghost or something.

I'll TAKE IT!

What Would Kharn Do?

The Flying Spag...
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:The

The Doomed Soul wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

spike.barnett wrote:

... so if im evil enough... theres the potential to be reincarnated as something thats near-immortal?

...sweet...

Lol, I'm assuming that's a cockroach joke. If not, you lost me Sticking out tongue

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline

The Doomed Soul wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

spike.barnett wrote:

...sweet...

Lol, I'm assuming that's a cockroach joke. If not, you lost me Sticking out tongue

Cockroach joke? i suppose that does make sense... i was actually reffering to ME, LEARNING about my mistakes, and repenting for them... which wont happen... which means i would need to be nearly immortal for it to have a chance at happening...

Meaning, if i am Evil, i want to be evil, and i like being evil... i would have just manipulated "reincarnation" into giving me immortality (or close to it). This is why i love such supernatural farce... they always have rules that i can manipulate to my use ^_^

What Would Kharn Do?

The Flying Spag...
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Cockroach joke? i suppose that does make sense... i was actually reffering to ME, LEARNING about my mistakes, and repenting for them... which wont happen... which means i would need to be nearly immortal for it to have a chance at happening...

Meaning, if i am Evil, i want to be evil, and i like being evil... i would have just manipulated "reincarnation" into giving me immortality (or close to it). This is why i love such supernatural farce... they always have rules that i can manipulate to my use ^_^

Ah gotcha, as in, you'll be in a perpetual state of reincarnation because you'll never improve. That's gotta suck being lunch for some larger creature over, and over, and over again. It would be like hell only instead of pitch forks and fire, there's being wrapped in a web having your insides sucked out as you die, an infinite number of times.

Hmm...

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Douglas Adams did something

Douglas Adams did something like that in one of the "Hitchhiker's Guide" books. A character named Agrajag, through a series of weird coincidences, kept getting re-born and killed by one of the main characters.

OrdinaryClay wrote:
If you don't believe your non-belief then you don't believe and you must not be an atheist.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline

Ah gotcha, as in, you'll be in a perpetual state of reincarnation because you'll never improve. That's gotta suck being lunch for some larger creature over, and over, and over again. It would be like hell only instead of pitch forks and fire, there's being wrapped in a web having your insides sucked out as you die, an infinite number of times.

Hmm...

While potentially true... theres 1 thing... I would have to be given a body, a form capable of both good and evil, to ever have a chance at redemption. Putting me in the body of a "fruit fly" or some shit would solve nothing, even by the slightest chance i did see an error in my ways, i would have no way to correct it.

Therefore... a capable body must come into play... and if such a body is capable of evil, then it is capable of enough evil to forever hold me, in that form.

Of course this assumes that god/creation/universal conscious runs on even the slightest thread of logic -_-

(if not, im so royally fucked...)

What Would Kharn Do?

The Flying Spag...
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
crazymonkie wrote:Douglas

crazymonkie wrote:

Douglas Adams did something like that in one of the "Hitchhiker's Guide" books. A character named Agrajag, through a series of weird coincidences, kept getting re-born and killed by one of the main characters.

I love the "Hypercube" movie (sequel to Cube) where the alpha male character kept killing the soft, nerdy character over and over again because of the different dimensions in the cube allowing more than one representation of the characters to exist. So basically, every time he would run into a different version of that same guy, he would kill him. So funny.