ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

Feel free to discuss this video here. Laughing out loud

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
"Everything unknown is taken

"Everything unknown is taken to be magnificent". Where's that quote from ? *googles* Ah, Tacitus...

Anyway, love the video. I wonder what our resident Craig fans have to add to that.

Fishpaste (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
God I hate Craig. His

God I hate Craig. His pathetic attempts at intellectual argumentation make theologians look so fail.

However, entire first part of this video is moronic, but I wouldn't expect any better from a standard anti-theistic video. Sadly the lesson in logic is quite necessary in this day and age, I imagine a lot of young theists today don't even know what logical consistency is.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
It all seemed a pretty fair

It all seemed a pretty fair statement overall, including the first part, Mr Fishpaste. Whatever logic flaws there may be to someone of a particularly pedantic disposition, and I don't really see anything significantly flawed, it most definitely does not in any way justify the epithet "moronic". To apply that description is... well... 'moronic'. 

Care to enlighten us, O pasty fish, what you see as the main flaws in the initial argument? So we can try and reach some understanding, rather than just trade insults? You know, give us some evidence for your otherwise naked assertion?

Or did it perhaps strike a nerve, at a weakness of your position??? Hmmm?

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

fishpaste (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
As an atheist I don't see

As an atheist I don't see how it could be a weakness against my position...

Though fair enough. The concept of things outside of the universe being untestable or improvable doesn't make any sense first because there is no given theoretical realm outside of the multiverse. If someone was to posit one, they would have to describe it, and it would have to make sense, otherwise they are just making things up. God is typically never characterized as seperated from the universe, but one with it, encompassing all of its parts. This makes the entire first part of the video irrelevant, since god in that sense can be observed, even if he is perhaps incapable of being empirically tested.

Stuff like this is similar to the flying spaghetti monster or "who created god" arguments, which are useful in demonstrating simple logical premises to people who may be unaware of them, but if presented as serious arguments are just pathetic.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
fishpaste wrote:As an

fishpaste wrote:

As an atheist I don't see how it could be a weakness against my position...

Though fair enough. The concept of things outside of the universe being untestable or improvable doesn't make any sense first because there is no given theoretical realm outside of the multiverse. If someone was to posit one, they would have to describe it, and it would have to make sense, otherwise they are just making things up. God is typically never characterized as seperated from the universe, but one with it, encompassing all of its parts. This makes the entire first part of the video irrelevant, since god in that sense can be observed, even if he is perhaps incapable of being empirically tested.

Stuff like this is similar to the flying spaghetti monster or "who created god" arguments, which are useful in demonstrating simple logical premises to people who may be unaware of them, but if presented as serious arguments are just pathetic.

Sorry, your angry defence of the legitimacy of many Christian concepts, your disgust that we think Theology is not even worth our time to take seriously, keeps me putting into the mindset that I am addressing a Theist.

The start of that video is really making the same point as you seem to be in the first part of your response, that it is nonsensical.

God is in fact usually characterized as outside or beyond the Universe, beyond space and time, as the Creator of space-time and the Universe, as even Theists recognize that the creator cannot be part of his creation. The second part of your post is simply not true, and inherently absurd, even to most Theists.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
fishpaste wrote:God is

fishpaste wrote:
God is typically never characterized as seperated from the universe, but one with it, encompassing all of its parts. This makes the entire first part of the video irrelevant, since god in that sense can be observed, even if he is perhaps incapable of being empirically tested.

What "sense" are you referring to, and how would you, hypothetically, observe God in that "sense?"

In fact, what do you mean by "observe?" Explain to me how you "observe" something that can't be tested using science or reason.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

fishpaste (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Sorry, your angry

Quote:
Sorry, your angry defence of the legitimacy of many Christian concepts, your disgust that we think Theology is not even worth our time to take seriously, keeps me putting into the mindset that I am addressing a Theist.

I understand your reasoning here, and I wouldn't expect anything else given all of the theistic stupidity you guys have to deal with here. It kind of forces you into anti-theism.

I also do not consider any (maybe perhaps, the golden rule? Not really an innately christian concept though) christian concepts legitimate. I simply often see the terms illogical or non-factual often misused when discussing christian theology. A lot of people who are attempting to analyze religion from a philosophical perspective and see if it holds water make several mistakes because of their own biases. As socrates stresses, humility is important.

Quote:
The start of that video is really making the same point as you seem to be in the first part of your response, that it is nonsensical.

Precisely, it is nonsensical to talk about things outside the universe, which is why we don't.

Quote:
God is in fact usually characterized as outside or beyond the Universe, beyond space and time, as the Creator of space-time and the Universe, as even Theists recognize that the creator cannot be part of his creation. The second part of your post is simply not true, and inherently absurd, even to most Theists.

Except that it is true to most theists, given that god is omnipresent he must by definition encompass everything in the universe. At the same time by definition he must be present in every area of space-time, meaning he was there when the universe was made, and will be there when it ceases to exist. This view does not cause their to be a region external to the multiverse, it simply characterizes the multiverse as a component of god.

This is a panentheistic view, and most theists actually are panenthiests, they just never hear of the term. Pan-theism is the opposite view, that the universe in it's totality is god. In either scenario god consists of the universe.

Butterbattle, my definition of observation is to perceive with one or more of the five senses. Note that this is different from scientific observation from which empirical data can be drawn. That said, many theists would consider their own unverifiable personal gnosis as observations of god, or they would consider near death experiences observations of god, or simply the "Creation" as observation of god. Really anything goes as observation of god assuming he consists of the entirety of the universe, but often when he is anthropomorphised in visions or stories it's the most compelling.

edejardin
Theist
edejardin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Whoever made this video

Whoever made this video missed what is perhaps the most obvious point of all: I can know what's in a box I cannot access if someone else who can access it tells me what's in it. And, after all, isn't that the essence of the Christian story? Also, by making the move from some nebulous 'what's in the box' to 'god,' the atheist forgets that if there's, say, a wooden spoon in the box, we'd have no reason to expect to know it; however, when we're speaking about a personal god, it's clearly the case that if he exists, we would expect to know it. In other words, the belief that god exists has, if true, an intrinsic warrant that the wooden spoon (et al) obviously lacks. There were other problems with the video (e.g. the misuse of basic terms such as 'valid,' or the patently false claim that there's no possible world with both an all loving, omnipotent god and an eternal hell), but I'll stick for now with the first two problems I raised.

Edejardin

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
edejardin wrote:Whoever made

edejardin wrote:

Whoever made this video missed what is perhaps the most obvious point of all: I can know what's in a box I cannot access if someone else who can access it tells me what's in it. And, after all, isn't that the essence of the Christian story? Also, by making the move from some nebulous 'what's in the box' to 'god,' the atheist forgets that if there's, say, a wooden spoon in the box, we'd have no reason to expect to know it; however, when we're speaking about a personal god, it's clearly the case that if he exists, we would expect to know it. In other words, the belief that god exists has, if true, an intrinsic warrant that the wooden spoon (et al) obviously lacks. There were other problems with the video (e.g. the misuse of basic terms such as 'valid,' or the patently false claim that there's no possible world with both an all loving, omnipotent god and an eternal hell), but I'll stick for now with the first two problems I raised.

Indeed.

We would expect to know if a paersonal god exists. Since no one knows, can we assume that one doesn't exist?

You don't see a problem with an all-loving God having a place of eternal punishment? Is he roasting people for eternity because he loves them so much?

If you're one of those who says "People choose to go to hell - God doesn't send them there" - your Bible stands against your position.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline

edejardin wrote:

Whoever made this video missed what is perhaps the most obvious point of all: I can know what's in a box I cannot access if someone else who can access it tells me what's in it.

On what basis are you trusting this persons word?

If it's a priest telling you it's the god he prosthelytize for in the box how stupid would you have to be to blindly accept that as the truth?

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

edejardin
Theist
edejardin's picture
User is offlineOffline
"We would expect to know if

"We would expect to know if a paersonal god exists. Since no one knows, can we assume that one doesn't exist?"

No, I was referring to Plantinga's argument concerning the intrinsic warrant theistic belief, if true, enjoys, and pointing out this rather important disanalogy with the wooden spoon (and just about everything else). The main point of the argument is to show the necessary connection between the de jure and the de facto question of god's existence, viz. you cannot say anything about the de jure question without first addressing the de facto question. And, quite obviously, the video is addressing the de jure question.

"You don't see a problem with an all-loving God having a place of eternal punishment?"

I said it's not logically impossible -- and it's not. The video falsely presented it as a logical impossibility, but no one takes the logical POE seriously today.

"If you're one of those who says "People choose to go to hell - God doesn't send them there" - your Bible stands against your position."

I wouldn't mind reading your defense of this position.

Edejardin

edejardin
Theist
edejardin's picture
User is offlineOffline
"On what basis are you

"On what basis are you trusting this persons word?"

I never suggested that you don't need good grounds for such trust. However, this misses the epistemic point I was making: note that I stipulated that this person *knows* what's in the box.

"If it's a priest telling you it's the god he prosthelytize for in the box how stupid would you have to be to blindly accept that as the truth?"

Again, I suggested no such thing as 'blind acceptance.'

Edejardin

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline

edejardin wrote:

There is absolutely no logical justification for the assumption that you would expect to 'know' anything whatever about the nature and attributes of an entity of power and knowledge infinitely beyond human comprehension.

Talking about a 'personal' god of a particular nature is pure question-begging - IOW if it had those attributes then you would be correct in assuming it did, but you have no way to know that with any certainty whatever.

Your 'intrinsic warrant' is totally groundless, it is pure speculation.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
edejardin wrote:"On what

edejardin wrote:
"On what basis are you trusting this persons word?" I never suggested that you don't need good grounds for such trust. However, this misses the epistemic point I was making: note that I stipulated that this person *knows* what's in the box. "If it's a priest telling you it's the god he prosthelytize for in the box how stupid would you have to be to blindly accept that as the truth?" Again, I suggested no such thing as 'blind acceptance.'

But there is no way you can 'know' that this other person is telling you the truth, so you really are no further advanced in knowing what is in the box. You at the very least have to assume that this other person is NOT subject to the conditions of the proposition on the video, which is a blatant and transparent attempt to sidestep the basic argument.

edejardin
Theist
edejardin's picture
User is offlineOffline
"There is absolutely no

"There is absolutely no logical justification for the assumption that you would expect to 'know' anything whatever about the nature and attributes of an entity of power and knowledge infinitely beyond human comprehension."

I see (at least) two problems with this:

(1) "an entity of power and knowledge infinitely beyond human comprehension"

It simply doesn't follow from the fact that some aspect of X cannot be completely understood by 'human comprehension' that we cannot know 'anything whatever' about it. It seems to me that your point can only be maintained if you presuppose this obviously false dichotomy.

(2) "There is absolutely no logical justification for the assumption that you would expect to 'know' anything whatever"

On the contrary, the very point of Plantinga's argument is that *if* a personal god exists, we would have every reason to suppose that 'we would expect to know' something about him (sticking with the masculine form here for the sake of simplicity). And the point is decidedly not question begging, but is rather a logical inference from the very nature of what it means to call a god 'personal.' A personal god is, by definition, one that seeks a relationship with human beings, and it would be absurd to suppose that such a god, if he existed, would not have provided us with a means of coming to know him. Hence the intrinsic warrant of theistic belief, *if a personal god exists*.

Edejardin

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
edejardin wrote: "There is

edejardin wrote:
 "There is absolutely no logical justification for the assumption that you would expect to 'know' anything whatever about the nature and attributes of an entity of power and knowledge infinitely beyond human comprehension." I see (at least) two problems with this: (1) "an entity of power and knowledge infinitely beyond human comprehension" It simply doesn't follow from the fact that some aspect of X cannot be completely understood by 'human comprehension' that we cannot know 'anything whatever' about it. It seems to me that your point can only be maintained if you presuppose this obviously false dichotomy.
 You cannot know anything about such a being with any certainty whatever. It would be infinitely capable of misleading/deceiving in ways that you would never be able to detect. There is no way to test any assumption or assertion about such an entity. There is no way to avoid the total uncertainty we would have when faced with such an entity. Assuming it fitted some preconceived definition of a 'personal God' is just that, pure assumption, you have no way to determine that your assumption was correct. It is pure wishful thinking.
Quote:
 (2) "There is absolutely no logical justification for the assumption that you would expect to 'know' anything whatever" On the contrary, the very point of Plantinga's argument is that *if* a personal god exists, we would have every reason to suppose that 'we would expect to know' something about him (sticking with the masculine form here for the sake of simplicity). And the point is decidedly not question begging, but is rather a logical inference from the very nature of what it means to call a god 'personal.' A personal god is, by definition, one that seeks a relationship with human beings, and it would be absurd to suppose that such a god, if he existed, would not have provided us with a means of coming to know him. Hence the intrinsic warrant of theistic belief, *if a personal god exists*.
 Precisely, it is all contingent on a pure assumption. There is absolutely no way to 'prove' that a Creator being would necessarily have any of the standard attributes assumed to go with such an entity. 

edejardin
Theist
edejardin's picture
User is offlineOffline
"You cannot know anything

"You cannot know anything about such a being with any certainty whatever. It would be infinitely capable of misleading/deceiving in ways that you would never be able to detect."

This is not at all the case on an externalist conception of knowledge. Indeed, it is only an externalist conception of knowledge that can resolve any of the great skeptical scenarios, e.g. concerning BIVs, a five minute world, etc.

I would add that certainty is a psychological state that isn't relevant to this discussion. I can be certain that P while ~P obtains. You seem to be using the term here to indicate 'proof.' However, if the fact that P cannot be proven counts against it, then you've just discarded the whole scientific enterprise, which knows nothing of proof in this sense.

"Precisely, it is all contingent on a pure assumption. There is absolutely no way to 'prove' that a Creator being would necessarily have any of the standard attributes assumed to go with such an entity."

This is absolutely false. Aquinas argued over literally hundreds of pages of rigorous argumentation for precisely the standard attributes we ascribe to a personal god, and he did so without any appeal to revelation. Indeed, once you accept (and understand) the distinction between act and potency, and combine it with a robust conception of causality, you have all you need to move logically to the necessary existence of a personal god.

This takes us far afield, however. Note that you've conceded my point: while it's certainly the case that we'd have no reason to expect to know that, say, a wooden spoon is in 'the box,' we would expect to know it if a personal god is in 'the box,' since given the very nature of the case our belief would enjoy an intrinsic warrant we could not ascribe to a wooden spoon (etc.). You seem to be confusing the claim that a personal god is in fact in the box with the claim that if such a god were in the box, we'd have every reason to expect to know it. I've only been arguing for the latter, *but the latter is all I need to refute the video's thesis*. I don't need the former.

Edejardin

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
edejardin wrote: "You

edejardin wrote:

"You cannot know anything about such a being with any certainty whatever. It would be infinitely capable of misleading/deceiving in ways that you would never be able to detect."

This is not at all the case on an externalist conception of knowledge. Indeed, it is only an externalist conception of knowledge that can resolve any of the great skeptical scenarios, e.g. concerning BIVs, a five minute world, etc.

Sorry, don't know what BIV refers to.I presume "five minute universe" refers to the proposition that the universe came into existence 5 minutes  ago configured exactly as if it had existed for billions of years?

That certainly is no "great skeptical scenario", just a somewhat pointless metaphysical speculation.Such speculations are not really resolvable in any sense, they are just "what if" brain-storming sessions which occasionally main suggest something which may be worth investigating in the "real world".

Quote:

I would add that certainty is a psychological state that isn't relevant to this discussion. I can be certain that P while ~P obtains. You seem to be using the term here to indicate 'proof.' However, if the fact that P cannot be proven counts against it, then you've just discarded the whole scientific enterprise, which knows nothing of proof in this sense.

No, I was referring to certainty on a scale from 0 to 100%, which is why I used the phrase "any certainty", rather than just "certainty.

In the empirical, inductive world of science, there is no 100%, of course, we only have assessed levels of confidence in any data or theory.

What puts 'God' outside the realm of anything which would count as knowledge is that we could not establish anything about such an entity with any significant degree of confidence whatever, ie with certainty beyond the level of 'negligible'.

Quote:

"Precisely, it is all contingent on a pure assumption. There is absolutely no way to 'prove' that a Creator being would necessarily have any of the standard attributes assumed to go with such an entity."

This is absolutely false. Aquinas argued over literally hundreds of pages of rigorous argumentation for precisely the standard attributes we ascribe to a personal god, and he did so without any appeal to revelation. Indeed, once you accept (and understand) the distinction between act and potency, and combine it with a robust conception of causality, you have all you need to move logically to the necessary existence of a personal god.

Sounds like its based on a bunch of assumptions from the Greeks and others, which are of questionable validity.

The understanding of causality today is far more advanced than Aquinas had access to, however 'robust' his understanding was in the context of his time.

Just browsed thru a few articles. I see more than enough outdated ideas, especially about motion and agency, to not take seriously any argument based on such stuff. I think I understand what they had in mind, but I also keep across current concepts in Science, and modern understanding of motion, agency, cause and effect, etc are, unsurprisingly, far more subtle and complex than what those guys grasped, even though they were not unintelligent. We have made vast strides since then.

EDIT:

I have read more than enough science and modern philosophy which covers this area to know that the approach Aquinas employed is just one, and one based on far less understanding of the nature of both the Universe and the nature of our own minds than we now possess. So I will go with more contemporary ideas more soundly based on modern understandings.

The other problem is that the longer the argument the greater the chance that there has been some subtle slide or conflation of meaning which renders all subsequent argument increasingly invalid. This is especially a risk where the conclusion is one that the writer already believes in or is strongly disposed toward.

Quote:

This takes us far afield, however. Note that you've conceded my point: while it's certainly the case that we'd have no reason to expect to know that, say, a wooden spoon is in 'the box,' we would expect to know it if a personal god is in 'the box,' since given the very nature of the case our belief would enjoy an intrinsic warrant we could not ascribe to a wooden spoon (etc.). You seem to be confusing the claim that a personal god is in fact in the box with the claim that if such a god were in the box, we'd have every reason to expect to know it. I've only been arguing for the latter, *but the latter is all I need to refute the video's thesis*. I don't need the former.

We would 'know' if a personal God was in there, but that is an empty proposition unless you can demonstrate that such an entity as conceived actually exists, and we really have no justification for such an assumption.

I could just as easily say that we would know what was in there if it was a psychically-endowed being capable of projecting its influence outside the box and manifesting itself undeniably in front of us.

Or even if it was a person with a cell-phone who contacted us and supplied evidence that he was actually in the box.

But these propositions would still miss the point of the argument, that speculating about something which is intrinsically beyond our direct detection can only ever be that, speculation, not knowledge, even of the scientific, provisional, kind.

tr1nity
Theist
tr1nity's picture
User is offlineOffline
Meaning

[qoute:]

You cannot know anything about such a being with any certainty whatever. It would be infinitely capable of misleading/deceiving in ways that you would never be able to detect. There is no way to test any assumption or assertion about such an entity. There is no way to avoid the total uncertainty we would have when faced with such an entity. Assuming it fitted some preconceived definition of a 'personal God' is just that, pure assumption, you have no way to determine that your assumption was correct. It is pure wishful thinking. [/qoute]

tr1nity writes:

Of course your first position is incorrect as it has no foundation. Using your own logic your description of this deity's nature MUST exist for the entire premise to exist which by part 1 "cannot be known". The statement is circular making it meaningless.

The second part is also air as you wrote "There is no way to test any assumption" must be an actual testable assumption of the nature of this deity for it to have meaning, which if it existed would make it meaningless.

"There is no way to avoid the total uncertainty"

The testabilty of the "no way to avoid" portion of this part would be required for that statement to have meaning which, once again would mean, if it was found to be testable would be "a way" at the very least to know SOMETHING if not much about this deity making some way however small of avoiding some level of uncertainty making the entire statement meaningless...again.

"It is pure wishful thinking."

I would agree that your statements were but that would assume I could test that actual "thinking" and properly categorize its type to offer the assertion that it was actually "wishful" but I will give that perhaps we have enough social agreement to the premise that your statements were in fact thought however small they were.

Of course these were just prods I'm sure, you wanted my response.

------L
C H R I S T
--------V
---------E
----------S

tr1nity
Theist
tr1nity's picture
User is offlineOffline
certainty beyond the level of negligible

"What puts 'God' outside the realm of anything which would count as knowledge is that we could not establish anything about such an entity with any significant degree of confidence whatever, ie with certainty beyond the level of 'negligible'."

tr1nity writes:

well that depends on the filter you use to screen the available evidence.

------L
C H R I S T
--------V
---------E
----------S

tr1nity
Theist
tr1nity's picture
User is offlineOffline
negligible

Sorry missed this one... even a negligible god knowledge quantity would still make atheism irrelevant wouldn't you agree?

------L
C H R I S T
--------V
---------E
----------S

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
tr1nity wrote:[qoute:]You

tr1nity wrote:

[qoute:]

You cannot know anything about such a being with any certainty whatever. It would be infinitely capable of misleading/deceiving in ways that you would never be able to detect. There is no way to test any assumption or assertion about such an entity. There is no way to avoid the total uncertainty we would have when faced with such an entity. Assuming it fitted some preconceived definition of a 'personal God' is just that, pure assumption, you have no way to determine that your assumption was correct. It is pure wishful thinking. [/qoute]

tr1nity writes:

Of course your first position is incorrect as it has no foundation. Using your own logic your description of this deity's nature MUST exist for the entire premise to exist which by part 1 "cannot be known". The statement is circular making it meaningless.

The foundation is the assumption that we are discussing a presumed 'Creator' is all-powerful and a conscious entity. If you aren't assuming either of those, then my argument does not apply.

Quote:

The second part is also air as you wrote "There is no way to test any assumption" must be an actual testable assumption of the nature of this deity for it to have meaning, which if it existed would make it meaningless.

No.

"Untestability" only strictly applies to any attributes beyond the basic "all-powerful and conscious" - if you are not assuming an entity with both those attributes, my argument does not apply.

Quote:

"There is no way to avoid the total uncertainty"

The testabilty of the "no way to avoid" portion of this part would be required for that statement to have meaning which, once again would mean, if it was found to be testable would be "a way" at the very least to know SOMETHING if not much about this deity making some way however small of avoiding some level of uncertainty making the entire statement meaningless...again.

"It is pure wishful thinking."

I would agree that your statements were but that would assume I could test that actual "thinking" and properly categorize its type to offer the assertion that it was actually "wishful" but I will give that perhaps we have enough social agreement to the premise that your statements were in fact thought however small they were.

Of course these were just prods I'm sure, you wanted my response.

Theological theories are of course not regarded as based on "wishful thinking" but they are riddled with assumptions which have no other basis than that the individual considers that it would be 'unthinkable' or 'frightening' that they not be true. The idea of an afterlife is very much a result of the strong desire or 'wish' that death not end things.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
tr1nity wrote:Sorry missed

tr1nity wrote:

Sorry missed this one... even a negligible god knowledge quantity would still make atheism irrelevant wouldn't you agree?

No, only a level of certainty significantly more than for the various 'godless' scenarios. 

There are an infinite number of scenarios that would lie at a comparable level of likelihood as the various 'God' ones. We would need some indication as to the most likely, and so far the naturalistic view-point has virtually all the wins on the board.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
" I can know what's in a box

" I can know what's in a box I cannot access if someone else who can access it tells me what's in it."

Quite the contrary. You must have faith. You can't KNOW, by definition, unless you observe it yourself.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

edejardin
Theist
edejardin's picture
User is offlineOffline
"You can't KNOW, by

"You can't KNOW, by definition, unless you observe it yourself."

This is obviously false, but let's go with it for a moment, for the sake of argument: Will you then concede the enormous faith you have -- by your definition -- in, say, almost all aspects and areas of the scientific enterprise?

Edejardin

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
edejardin wrote:"You can't

edejardin wrote:
"You can't KNOW, by definition, unless you observe it yourself." This is obviously false, but let's go with it for a moment, for the sake of argument: Will you then concede the enormous faith you have -- by your definition -- in, say, almost all aspects and areas of the scientific enterprise?

Do I have faith in the results that I can reproduce? No, because I can reproduce them. Scientific results can be repeated.

Reproduce any miracles lately?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
edejardin wrote:This is

edejardin wrote:
This is obviously false

On the contrary, we're just using different definitions of the term. My definition, for the purposes of this discussion, is thus:

be cognizant or aware of a fact or a specific piece of information

The definition you're using, and correct me if I'm wrong, is thus:

be aware of the truth of something; have a belief or faith in something; regard as true beyond any doubt

With the significant difference in bold.

edejardin wrote:
Will you then concede the enormous faith you have -- by your definition -- in, say, almost all aspects and areas of the scientific enterprise?

You may be surprised at how significant my knowledge of science is. However, for those few aspects I have not personally verified, I'll admit I don't know, by my definition, that they are true. For those, your definition is what I would subscribe to.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.