What do you listen to?

rdklep8
atheistScience FreakSuperfan
rdklep8's picture
User is offlineOffline
What do you listen to?

I'm only a week or two into posting on this forum... and I was just wondering what type of music you all listen to?  I feel like it tells a lot about a person.  I'm constantly evolving in terms of music (and I guess in terms of everything)

I'm big into folk/blues/classic rock right now: Beatles, State Radio, Ben Harper and the Relentless 7, Steve Miller Band-- just to name a few I've been listening to the most of late

And I'm really on a Coltrane kick (perfect study music)

Anyone else like to share?

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Does this answer your

Does this answer your question?

if not this should  

And now I stop with scars  

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Big E
Big E's picture
User is offlineOffline
http://www.youtube.com/watch?

Big E
Big E's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote: To embed

Tapey wrote:

To embed videos you click on source and paste the embed code in there. Source is in the top left of the comment box 

Ok, I'm an idiot.... Smiling

Big E
Big E's picture
User is offlineOffline
http://www.youtube.com/watch?

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Massive AttackMachine

Massive Attack
Machine Love
Lamb
Christophe Goze
Ohm G
Plastyc Budda
Thievery Corporation

But I like a song or 2 from almost every genre

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Nakhla
Nakhla's picture
User is offlineOffline
I listen to everything from

I listen to everything from Moonsorrow, Einhjer, MSI, Atmosphere, Field Mob, Nickel Creek, Atreyu, AFI, Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys, Bouncing Souls, Misfits, 311, Bullet for my Valentine, Lost Prophets. I'm sure I could list tons more I tend not to have a set sound I listen to evreything. But I lean more towards punk and folk-metal (See the first two bands)

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
I just like Australian Rock,

I just like Australian Rock, Cold Chisel, Crowded House (yeah they are Kiwis really... but we claim all the best NZ acts), Screaming Jets, Choirboys, The Angels - all the stuff I grew up with basically - and lately, Evermore, Grinspoon, Eskimoe Joe, Silverchair, Jet... yeah, you've probably not heard of them but that's basically how I feel looking at your lists, we don't hear of virtually any of the musicians that you guys listed down here.

Oh, but I like Green Day, so I do like one American Band.

And double Oh, Yeah also, I been lovin' me some Beatles lately, too.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Waiting for Oblivion
Waiting for Oblivion's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote: Also, MSI.

ClockCat wrote:

Also, MSI.

ClockCat is made of awesome and win

Waiting for Oblivion
Waiting for Oblivion's picture
User is offlineOffline
Also, awesome music <object

Also, awesome music

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/izCFMYWuVps&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/izCFMYWuVps&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y_QIZ60oTg8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y_QIZ60oTg8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-UsR9Ap41R8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-UsR9Ap41R8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o_VpHfw4g0w&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o_VpHfw4g0w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RSu4hOLYrXk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RSu4hOLYrXk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tDZy6-fMCw4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tDZy6-fMCw4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tDZy6-fMCw4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tDZy6-fMCw4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

F̨̠e̟̖à̭̼̜̲͚͈̯̪s̸̞̼͞t̶̙̥͉̟̜̻̗͜ ̺̪̱͞o̧̲̠͇͉͔̳̭̟̖n͘͠͏̥̰̝͔̯ ҉̦͇̞̠̮̗̗̼y̶̻̪͕̮̰̺͚̘o̺̤͕̼̩͞u̞̣̬̥͘̕r̵̷͍͇͚̣ ̺̣͙̣e͉̪͜n̸̪̤̜̗̝͟t̜̮̙͇̣͇͝r̡͚̜̼̜̱̣͖̟̩a̡͔̙̭̼̼̻i̡̳͔͚̮̥̰͓̯l͘ͅs̶̛̤͕̭͚̩̣͘

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
FAIL!

FAIL!

(i doubt even mods will waste their time attempting to fix those)

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
Two

Two words:

Metal.

Baroque.

Well, okay, a few more words: hard rock is decent and never, ever, rap or hip hop under any circumstance.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

Parallel
Parallel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Metal and Jazz all the way

Metal and Jazz all the way man.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
  At the moment ?   Meat

At the moment ?   Meat Puppets , their "Too High To Die"  CD from way back in the 90's.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Arcade Fire, Jackson Browne,

Arcade Fire, Jackson Browne, Rob Jungklas (in spite of all of his religious imagery -- 'God rode through Clarksdale / With a shotgun out the driver's side'), Sage Francis (count me in!), The Gourds, Old 97s, Gus, Radiohead, Pete Yorn, Maktub, Andrew Bird, Carter Burwell (especially love the Miller's Crossing soundtrack), Nine Inch Nails (a metal band that doesn't suck), NoFX, Portishead, Split Lip Rayfield, Southern Culture on the Skids, Matthew Sweet, Crowded House, X, The Black Keys, Ben Folds Five, Black Angels, Uncle Tupelo, Wilco, Son Volt, the dbs, XTC, REM, The Breeders, The Pixies, The Posies, Leonard Cohen, Fountains of Wayne, Vivaldi, Grieg, Chopin, Dwight Yoakum (a country singer that doesn't suck), early Everclear, Michael Penn, Son House, Townes Van Zandt, The Handsome Family, Camper Van Beethoven, and AC/DC.

That was a random tour through my CDs.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
I woud never listen to the

I woud never listen to the music you people listen to, except for a couple of people who said the Beatles. Some of this music makes me very sad, and not in a good way.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

Mariewillshowyou
User is offlineOffline
I usually remain

I usually remain in the genre of- Metal, Grindcore metal, death, Rock, Alternative rock, country, and hard rock..

I dislike rap. My beliefs that there is no god, is nearly as strong as my beliefs that

rap is pathetic, It has no reason. It's not music. It's talking fast, and a beat.

Metal doesn't really sound as something you would consider music either,

since it's screaming and shit. But it's better then rap. I just think rap is horrible.

Plus I dislike ghetto people. And ignorant people as well.

Country is more MUSIC then those two - rap.metal. Since it has

actual vocals. But still love metal, and alt rock more.

Such as suicide silence, winds of plague, five finger death punch, underoath, breaking benjamin, shinedown. Etc.

:]

And for everyone else, You mostly have great taste in music:D

I won't bow to something that I've never seen
I can't believe in something that doesn't believe in me
I'm not blood of your blood, I'm no son of your god
I've no faith in your fate
Still I find salvation

Big E
Big E's picture
User is offlineOffline
Man, I appear to be the only

Man, I appear to be the only one that listens to hip-hop around here. Boooo......

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Quote: I bomb atomically,

Quote:

I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies
and hypothesis can't define how I be droppin these
mockeries, lyrically perform armed robbery
Flee with the lottery, possibly they spotted me
Battle-scarred shogun, explosion when my pen hits
tremendous, ultra-violet shine blind forensics
I inspect you, through the future see millenium
Killa B's sold fifty gold sixty platinum
Shacklin the masses with drastic rap tactics
Graphic displays melt the steel like blacksmiths
Black Wu jackets queen B's ease the guns in
Rumble with patrolmen, tear gas laced the function
Heads by the score take flight incite a war
Chicks hit the floor, diehard fans demand more
Behold the bold soldier, control the globe slowly
Proceeds to blow swingin swords like Shinobi
Stomp grounds and pound footprints in solid rock
Wu got it locked, performin live on your hottest block

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

I can handle it in doses, like in the mish-mash of music that is Gorillaz, or flobots.

I'm just not a fan of most of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuK2A1ZqoWs

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

Quote:
Yo, it don't come as a challenge, I'm the son of some of the foulest

Elected by my people...the only one on the ballot

Born and bred to consort with feds, I laugh at fate

And assassinate my predecessor to have his place

In a third-world fascist state, lock the nation

With 90% of the wealth in 10% of the population

The Central Intelligence Agency takes weight faithfully

The finest type of China white and cocaine you'll see

H.P. Lovecraft

Big E
Big E's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

Johnny (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Hey Renee Frozen Symphony

Hey Renee good to see u here i have lots of lyrics that u've sent me  many many years ago .. can i use some of that if i give u the credit fot them ../ Johnny

Mariewillshowyou
User is offlineOffline
Big E wrote:Man, I appear to

Big E wrote:

Man, I appear to be the only one that listens to hip-hop around here. Boooo......

Hip-Hop sometimes just seems, More about sex, guns, money, and drugs..

Then anything else. Not about our economy, political views, etc.

Although metal mostly stays on the subject of killing, and hating god.

Which is good for me. But rap and shit, just.. Annoying. Sorry:/

Doesn't show who you are as a person though.

I won't bow to something that I've never seen
I can't believe in something that doesn't believe in me
I'm not blood of your blood, I'm no son of your god
I've no faith in your fate
Still I find salvation

Big E
Big E's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mariewillshowyou wrote:Big E

Mariewillshowyou wrote:

Big E wrote:

Hip-Hop sometimes just seems, More about sex, guns, money, and drugs..

Then anything else. Not about our economy, political views, etc.

Although metal mostly stays on the subject of killing, and hating god.

Which is good for me. But rap and shit, just.. Annoying. Sorry:/

Doesn't show who you are as a person though.

Well I would say that that is a common misconception. The underground hip-hop that I listen to is far different than rap and what you have described. The music I listen has little to do with any of those things that you mentioned. But to each his own. I personally can't tolerate the music (not content) in metal. It's just loud and obnoxious to me and lacks melody. But as I said, to each his own. If you want some real hip=hop let me know so that you are not confused by the differences between hip-hop and rap.

Unrepentant_Elitist
Science FreakGold Member
Unrepentant_Elitist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I appear to be in the minority here, but...

...I suppose I should be used to that! I listen almost exclusively to classical music, specifically tending towards J.S. Bach, Mahler, George Crumb, and Karlheinz Stockhausen. Even within the classical world, I suppose I am somewhat of an anomaly: I cannot sit through Italian opera of the late nineteenth century, nor do I find Wagner to be very interesting; I likewise find many of Beethovan's piano sonatas to be tedious (gasp!).

However, I have listened to most types of music throughout my life. The net result is unimaginable amusement when people notice the collected works of Bach, Mahler, Haydn, etc. ...in the same cabinet as old Obituary albums and John Denver's Greatest Hits. 

Always keep 'em guessing...

paisleyartmachine
paisleyartmachine's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Gotan Project

Here is one of my current favorite songs. This is a totally different vibe. I guess you would call it hip-hop/electronica tango music. It's classy and hip at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3UpZydTFb0

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
v4ultingbassist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow, almost shit my pants

Wow, almost shit my pants seeing Petrucci in the second post... I am a die hard dream theater fan. 

But my tastes are expanding.  I like some rap, especially Gorillaz, but also the Jay-Z linkin park stuff is good.  Eminem is entertaining IMO.  Because I like to dance, I'm a big fan of electronica and dance music (esp. if my BAC > 0).  Lately I've been exploring classical music in earnest, but for some reason I just don't like the SOUND of the interests... I know it's weird, but I much prefer modern electrical instruments in complex compilation (hence the DT obsession) as opposed to classical instruments.  Despite this, I am warming up to it, especially after finding an album of the philharmonic covering Pink Floyd songs (AWESOME).

My current band is Porcupine tree.

Also, for whatever reason, I just can't wrap my head around country music   I just don't like it...

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
warren.  one of the

warren.  one of the greatest, most literate songwriters who ever lived, both a master of the phrase and the music and knew how to combine the two.  classically trained, took a few lessons with stravinsky as a child, wrote symphonies in his spare time.  dylan called him something like a "musician's musician." 

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:o

I really don't understand. I don't see a point in singing about "losing everything" again and again and again, or listening to someone wail on and on about it.

It's like all they care about is failure, so they sing about it. This is why I don't like country. Or "country-eske" or whatever kind of "rock" this is. I listened to some of this guys other music, "werewolves in london" and it just is really terribly written and sounds pretty terrible. And he writes his own stuff? That makes it worse.

Not something I'd ever care to listen to really, thanks. If I wanted to listen to a pity trip I'd go to a nearby diner where all they play is country/bluegrass shit and suffer in reverse success stories again and again.

In other words? I give him a 1/10. Pretty much failsauce. Sounds bad, bad lyrics, and not anything I'd care to repeat.

The only way I might be able to tolerate it is if I was heavily stoned to the point it seems like a comedy. At first I laughed, until I realized he was seriously that lame. I don't give a damn about him, or his "shit being fucked up", or how he cries. There are enough sob stories in the world. I don't know him and I don't care about him. He is an entertainer. And fails at it.

Zoidberg? Take it from here.

Take that apparently dead Warren Zevon.

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
Harsh lol  I didn't think

Harsh lol  I didn't think it was THAT bad... but the talk/singing wasn't exactly that great... Couple of spots where it wasn't quite on.

Now for a totally different sound, I present Spiral Architect:

I don't actually listen to them yet (turned off slightly by the insistence to only move forward, and to do so FAST) but as a bass player I have to recognize talent when I see it, and this guy is fucking nuts.

I am depressed that the marquee tag is disabled Sad

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:o

Interesting. How do you feel about Apocalyptica?

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
Hm.  Sounded pretty good. 

Hm.  Sounded pretty good.  It doesn't sound like something I could listen to a lot of all at once though.  What I would like to see is stuff like TSO with a lead singer, but I realize that's hard for one band to pull off.  I also get bored with fantasy lyrics, one of the biggest reasons I love dream theater is that they can write about things that aren't dragons, demons, heroes, or ex-girlfriends lol

I just need to get more music in general.  Most of the stuff in this thread I would probably enjoy, but getting the music is an issue.  Had a bad experience with torrenting once.

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
Oh man, just listened to

Oh man, just listened to that Mother Earth song... Awesomesauce

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Big E wrote:Man, I appear to

Big E wrote:

Hey, Big E. Have you heard Blakroc yet? It's The Black Keys playing with some hip-hop folks like Q-Tip, Jim Jones, Mos Def, Nicole Ray, and even some from Ol Dirty Bastard's final unreased sessions. It is extremely good. At least, I thought so. (I'm not huge into hip-hop, but I love The Black Keys, and like hip-hop enough to enjoy it when it's on. I really like A Tribe Called Quest, Diggable Planets, and the like.)

EDIT addendum (Stay Off The Fuckin' Flowers)

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:I really

ClockCat wrote:

I really don't understand. I don't see a point in singing about "losing everything" again and again and again, or listening to someone wail on and on about it.

It's like all they care about is failure, so they sing about it. This is why I don't like country. Or "country-eske" or whatever kind of "rock" this is. I listened to some of this guys other music, "werewolves in london" and it just is really terribly written and sounds pretty terrible. And he writes his own stuff? That makes it worse.

Not something I'd ever care to listen to really, thanks. If I wanted to listen to a pity trip I'd go to a nearby diner where all they play is country/bluegrass shit and suffer in reverse success stories again and again.

In other words? I give him a 1/10. Pretty much failsauce. Sounds bad, bad lyrics, and not anything I'd care to repeat.

The only way I might be able to tolerate it is if I was heavily stoned to the point it seems like a comedy. At first I laughed, until I realized he was seriously that lame. I don't give a damn about him, or his "shit being fucked up", or how he cries. There are enough sob stories in the world. I don't know him and I don't care about him. He is an entertainer. And fails at it.

Zoidberg? Take it from here.

Take that apparently dead Warren Zevon.

clockcat, you and dream theater can go fuck yourselves.  i bet you're that kid who was headbanging to creed ten years ago.

btw, how long have you been a musician exactly?  i mean, besides banging out power chords in your old bedroom.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

MrPal
Superfan
MrPal's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bleh

Why do we have to insult each other in a music thread?  Come on, this forum is serious business enough as it is.    That said I like to tease my friend who listens to new country and stuff like Miley Cyrus but I do it in a friendly manner.

Anyway, you guys have some awesome taste in music!  It's so cool to see a music thread I really appreciate instead of cringe at while sampling.

I enjoy every genre pretty much and have too many artists to list, even on my facebook haha...  Lately though I've been listening to a lot of Jim Croce.  I discovered him not too long ago and I am in love with the stuff he made.  Very high recommendation.

I've been getting deeper into other bands I've listened to in the past as well.  The one that comes to my mind is Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship.  If you like some of their music, definitely look into them some more.

My favorite band overall (and it's hard to choose) is probably The Wailers.  

Edit:  Hey whoever just shit all over country and bluegrass needs to go back in time and (attempt to) appreciate the old stuff.  

I never thought there were corners in my mind until I was told to stand in one.

I have learned so much, thanks for keeping it real RRS.

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
MrPal wrote:That said I like

MrPal wrote:

That said I like to tease my friend who listens to new country and stuff like Miley Cyrus but I do it in a friendly manner.

Edit:  Hey whoever just shit all over country and bluegrass needs to go back in time and (attempt to) appreciate the old stuff.  

Party in the USA is so fucking cathcy... I love it lol

For me country just doesn't do it.  I'm just not into it.  I can appreciate a good musician when I hear one, but nothing about the video of Warren Zevon struck me.  I like my music structured well, and, to me, the guitar (plus the talk-singing) did not flow well.  This is all my opinion, of course.

And iwbiek, no hatin on Dream Theater unless you've listened to them... Calling out a musician AND Dream Theater will not end well; those guys are pretty technical.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
MrPal wrote:Why do we have

MrPal wrote:

Why do we have to insult each other in a music thread? 

my thoughts exactly.  i don't recall denigrating anyone else's tastes so i don't see why i was subjected to such monumental prickery.

anyhow, no one got that the song was tongue in fuckin' cheek.  it's called subtlety, which i suppose is hard for some metalheads to pick up.

what irritates me though is not that zevon's idiom was attacked--that's a matter of taste of course--but his execution was attacked, and as someone who is a multi-instrumentalist and has worked in several bands over the past 6 years--variously as frontman, lead guitarist, and harmonica player--in several different styles, most notably blues and country, on both sides of the atlantic, i can say his execution was both understated and flawless.  not a single sour note, wonderfully varied chord shapes, and impeccable timing. 

--Hunter S. Thompson

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
v4ultingbassist wrote:  I

v4ultingbassist wrote:

I like my music structured well, and, to me, the guitar (plus the talk-singing) did not flow well.  This is all my opinion, of course.

depends on what you mean by "flow."  if you mean tempo and timing, no, it's not a matter of opinion, and you could have set a fucking metronome by his playing.  i don't know what the hell you mean by "structured."  there was nothing out of place in his performance.  once again, the man wrote symphonies.  he was classically trained.  

if by "structured" you mean "produced," or "overproduced," then yes, this song is simplistic, but there can be virtuosity in simplicity, and this is a prime example. 

v4ultingbassist wrote:

And iwbiek, no hatin on Dream Theater unless you've listened to them...

well, i kinda did that, what with clock cat's videos.  plus the fact i don't live under a rock.  besides, who hated first?  i mean, for real, what the fuck was up with that stream of bile?  people post their favorite music and musical opinions on here all the time, and i've never jumped on anyone unprovoked.  hell, i rarely comment at all, even though i'm a huge music fan with very particular tastes.  that's because, as a musician, i know damn good and well the huge amount of work that goes into ANY kind of music, even shite, and that at least should be respected.

v4ultingbassist wrote:

Calling out a musician AND Dream Theater will not end well; those guys are pretty technical.

who's a musician?  i'm a musician.  see my last post.  for the last 2 years i've gotten paid for my work, though not enough to quit teaching yet.  i've been on tour a couple times with music festivals.  i'm no superstar but i'm not an amateur by any stretch.  i'd call myself one of "those guys."

--Hunter S. Thompson

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
Easy. I did not insult with

Easy.

I did not insult with my criticisms, CC did, and I thought he was harsh in doing so.  I was trying to explain why I am not particularly floored by the song.  Seeing as I am not classically trained, it is difficult for me to use the proper jargon when describing the music itself.  As for flow, I was trying to communicate how I, personally, do not like the way the song is 'structured.' 

Also, tempo can definitely be subjective.  There are reasons why a lot of people do not like bands that use crazy time signal changes, and this is certainly an issue of tempo and timing.

As for the Dream Theater comment, CC mentioned he was a musician.  You lumped the two together, and I was warning that most musicians who like Dream Theater can explain why the music is technical; this specifically in response to your 'power chords' insult.

I hope that aren't hard feelings here.  I recognize that he is good; it's just that I'm not that into it.  That's all it is. 

Can we agree that Creed sucks? 

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
The only country I will

The only country I will listen to  Smiling

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

peterweal
peterweal's picture
User is offlineOffline
I listen to mostly metal and

I listen to mostly metal and classical.

I also play lead guitar in an Iron Maiden Tribute band.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

I wasn't aware I had to be a practicing musician to appreciate music.

I am however highly opinionated about nearly everything, and feel no reluctance to show that. Laughing out loud

Also, 10 years ago I wouldn't of known who creed was, or any band for that matter. Sorry.

Musical taste is subjective. And I mean no personal insults to anyone except that musician who makes terrible music as I said. :3

<3

Also, iwbiek:

I'm more or less just teasing you. In that other thread too.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here's something for

Here's something for Zymotic:

Zymosis - Zygomata
I know psychill's not your style, but I couldn't resist Smiling

Chilling Matenda - It's a long time ago
I'm really curious, if I embedded the videos correctly. I'm doing it for the first time. Probably not, as it seems.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
v4ultingbassist and

v4ultingbassist and ClockCat,

yeah, i'm gonna have to stop visiting this forum right in the middle of my work day, when i'm often most irritable.  i did overreact a bit.  sorry.

btw, CC, are you a musician?  v4 says you mentioned it, but i didn't catch that.  i mentioned it, as a rhetorical question.  anyhow, of course you don't have to be a musician to appreciate good music, buit it can make the difference in noticing solid technique or not.  as i said, i felt zevon's execution, i.e., technique, had been attacked, and that's why i pulled the musician card.

v4, i agree that there can be plenty of subjective opinions about correct tempos for certain songs or styles, whether a shift in tempo is appropriate, etc., but when we look at this song, it's a simple 4/4 with no variation or intent to vary, in which case the only question is whether he holds it or not.  i think this can be objectively established.

--Hunter S. Thompson

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:v4, i agree

iwbiek wrote:

v4, i agree that there can be plenty of subjective opinions about correct tempos for certain songs or styles, whether a shift in tempo is appropriate, etc., but when we look at this song, it's a simple 4/4 with no variation or intent to vary, in which case the only question is whether he holds it or not.  i think this can be objectively established.

Oh I agree that he was on tempo the entire time, I was trying to say (before I pointed out that tempo can be subjective) that when I said 'structure,' I didn't mean tempo.  I guess the best I can do is to say that I don't exactly like the way that he plays the arpeggios and how he connects them to the chords he's also playing...

I thought CC said he was a musician...  but I may just have said that because, in my experience, most dream theater fans are musicians; it is possible that I made an assumption.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
v4ultingbassist wrote:iwbiek

v4ultingbassist wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

Oh I agree that he was on tempo the entire time, I was trying to say (before I pointed out that tempo can be subjective) that when I said 'structure,' I didn't mean tempo.  I guess the best I can do is to say that I don't exactly like the way that he plays the arpeggios and how he connects them to the chords he's also playing...

fair enough, but then you must not like ragtime guitar, which is what he's basically playing except at a slower tempo and much more modal, and since just about every subsequent style of fingerpicking in rock, pop, country, folk, etc., has been more or less based on georgia or piedmont ragtime guitar, i'd have to ask if you're purely into strumming and single-string lead playing or what?  since i'm primarily a fingerpicker in the blind blake/merle travis tradition, you and i would definitely part ways here.

--Hunter S. Thompson

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:v4ultingbassist

iwbiek wrote:

v4ultingbassist wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

fair enough, but then you must not like ragtime guitar, which is what he's basically playing except at a slower tempo and much more modal, and since just about every subsequent style of fingerpicking in rock, pop, country, folk, etc., has been more or less based on georgia or piedmont ragtime guitar, i'd have to ask if you're purely into strumming and single-string lead playing or what?  since i'm primarily a fingerpicker in the blind blake/merle travis tradition, you and i would definitely part ways here.

Haha, let's not read to deep into this... This particular song just doesn't seem to tickle my fancy.  I personally don't examine the music too heavily to figure out whether or not I like it.  This is probably why I enjoy songs like Party in the USA; I don't think about the simplicity or complexity.  I guess my musical philosophy would be, "if I listen to it and find it enjoyable, I may dig deeper and figure out why it is that I like it.  I may also just like it and leave it at that."  

Quote:

except at a slower tempo and much more modal

I would think that this kind of modification can be enough to turn someone on or off to a certain sound.

Parallel
Parallel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Metal all the way.

Metal all the way.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Parallel wrote:

Metal all the way.

Thanks, I didn't know about this band.

I think it sounds quite good, with exception of the placement of most of the first half of the song's vocals.

I'd also like to hear the actual voice of the singer a bit, and I think some of the transitions are..well, they don't seem to be there. It feels a bit schizo at moments. 

Anyway, I'm not a practicing musician. I have played a few instruments before, and can read sheet music. Thats about it. 

A lot of my friends are musicians though. And exes. I'm the guy that hangs out in the greenroom that doesn't carry equipment, isn't a bouncer, and gets mistaken for being in a band again and again when I'm just there to hangout with friends.

It's all about having fun. Laughing out loud