Length of life and teleomeres

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Length of life and teleomeres

The DNA that makes up your genes is entwined in 46 chromosomes, each of which ends with a telomere, a stretch of DNA that protects the chromosome like the plastic tip on a shoelace. Telo­meres are quite long at birth and shorten a bit every time a cell divides; ultimately, after scores of divisions, very little telomere remains and the cell becomes inactive or dies. And because elderly people generally have shorter telomeres than younger people, scientists believe that telomere length may be a marker for longevity as well as cellular health.

While researchers are adding to the list of things that can shorten telomeres (smoking, for instance, and infectious diseases), they’ve also zeroed in on activities that seem to slow down telomere degradation. In a German study, people in their 40s and 50s had telomeres about 40 percent shorter than people in their 20s if they were sedentary, but only 10 percent shorter if they were dedicated runners.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/Can-Your-Genes-Predict-When-You-Will-Die-183826201.html

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's wild. I remember

That's wild. I remember reading something a long time ago where they had started a study on this, but I didn't know of the results.

I used to be a runner until my injuries caused tremendous new heights in pain. I miss the "runners high" I used to get.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kinda odd to think we all

Kinda odd to think we all have a burning fuse...

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:That's

digitalbeachbum wrote:

That's wild. I remember reading something a long time ago where they had started a study on this, but I didn't know of the results.

I used to be a runner until my injuries caused tremendous new heights in pain. I miss the "runners high" I used to get.

It really pisses me off that in doing the right thing you are penalized. I believe that is what happened to me with cancer. I think it started because I was swimming in chlorine nearly every day of the week, best shape of my life and I felt so good. Powerful carcinogens waft above the water and I think I was genetically disposed to it. My oncologist just smiles when I have brought that up and says its bad luck. But it seems right to me. I got it the first time in '98 and still had some residual god feelings. I like now I don't have to plead "why? why me?". I know shit just happens, mostly random. Nothing to get angry at anymore. Perhaps that is why the religious want to say we are mad at god, but I think that is only as we exit the door. Once outside I might as well be angry at St Nick.

I really miss swimming, but my brain just won't permit it. If I lived in Cozumel it would be a different story.

Stretch those telomeres !

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister

ex-minister wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

It really pisses me off that in doing the right thing you are penalized. I believe that is what happened to me with cancer. I think it started because I was swimming in chlorine nearly every day of the week, best shape of my life and I felt so good. Powerful carcinogens waft above the water and I think I was genetically disposed to it. My oncologist just smiles when I have brought that up and says its bad luck. But it seems right to me. I got it the first time in '98 and still had some residual god feelings. I like now I don't have to plead "why? why me?". I know shit just happens, mostly random. Nothing to get angry at anymore. Perhaps that is why the religious want to say we are mad at god, but I think that is only as we exit the door. Once outside I might as well be angry at St Nick.

I really miss swimming, but my brain just won't permit it. If I lived in Cozumel it would be a different story.

It a bitch that cancer cells are 'immortal'. They always are able to produce an exact copy of themselves when they divide into two cells. Whereas normal cells will be degraded by division because of telomere shortening. The challenge for science is getting cancer cells to behave like normal cells and normal cells to behave like cancer. They want to get toxic substances into cancer cells to make them 'age' and telomerase into normal cell to prevent aging.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:ex-minister

EXC wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

It a bitch that cancer cells are 'immortal'. They always are able to produce an exact copy of themselves when they divide into two cells. Whereas normal cells will be degraded by division because of telomere shortening. The challenge for science is getting cancer cells to behave like normal cells and normal cells to behave like cancer. They want to get toxic substances into cancer cells to make them 'age' and telomerase into normal cell to prevent aging.

Grass is always greener on the other side. Sticking out tongue

Religion Kills !!!