Chimpanzee and legal rights

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Chimpanzee and legal rights

Exactly what liberties will this chimpanzee enjoy ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25211859

NY court asked to give chimpanzee 'legal person' status

A US animal rights group is calling on a New York court to recognise a chimpanzee as a legal person, in what is believed to be a legal first.

The Nonhuman Rights Project wants a chimp named Tommy to be granted "legal personhood" and thus entitled to the "fundamental right of bodily liberty".

The group is planning to file the same lawsuit on behalf of three other chimps across New York this week.

It wants the four to be released from their captivity.

They should be taken to a sanctuary that is a member of the North American Primate Sanctuary Alliance, the group argues.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
So when one of the chimps

So when one of the chimps breaks one of our laws are we going to send the police and mirandize them? I am predicting the poor chimp will be held in contempt of court for throwing feces at the judge.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
"fundamental right of bodily

"fundamental right of bodily liberty"? he has that as much as i do. it's just, as happens to the best of us from time to time, he currently has a wall in front of his body. it's not our fault he hasn't figured out how to steal a key and open the fuckin' door.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:So when

Beyond Saving wrote:

So when one of the chimps breaks one of our laws are we going to send the police and mirandize them? I am predicting the poor chimp will be held in contempt of court for throwing feces at the judge.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:Beyond Saving

Kapkao wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

That does give me a visual that is impossible not to laugh like hell about.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:So when

Beyond Saving wrote:

No, Dr. Zaius, Dr. Zira and Cornelius will throw feces back because it'll be a Planet of the Apes courtroom.  IT'S A MADHOUSE!  A MADHOUSE!!!!!

....ahem....