Original Sin was caused by faith ?

blackmath
User is offlineOffline
Original Sin was caused by faith ?

According to the 'logic' of Genesis, Adam and Eve's gullibility was responsible for The Fall since they were born innocent, unable to distinguish between the validity of God's instructions and those of God's indirect creation The Devil (in the form of a snake), therefore they just believed whatever they were told and here we are, sinners all.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Fall is so incoherent on

The Fall is so incoherent on so many levels. Firstly, modern science tells us that the story is utterly ridiculous, but it also has a gaping epistemilogical flaw on God's part, because monotheistic theology contains the notion of God-determined predestiny (in Islam this is called Al Qadar). Therefore, God created them knowing full well what he had in mind ie that they would reject him, but it doesn't matter because the Iranaen theodicy collapses here considering that Adam and Eve were created without Evil thus they had no way of knowing the serpent was tempting them. Furthermore, the concept is contradictory to the classical theist description of God because as you can imagine, daming your creations for all eternity because one of your descendents ate and apple is an irrational physcosis of the highest degree.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

blackmath
User is offlineOffline
Yet the Christian would bid

Yet the Christian would bid you to put aside logic for faith because logic is a result of The Fall and may not be used in respect of God. Actually we are capable of dropping logic for certain things, like for dancing, sex, music, art, sometimes we need to do things for purely emotional 'reasons', it's part of what makes us human and that's great, logic is just one 'dimension', and besides there's Godel's Theorum.

Personally, on an emotional level, I just don't feel that the Christian view of the world is true. I look around at the stars (Hubble) and planets (Mars rovers, Cassini-Huygens), our planet and its lifeforms and I just feel that the Christian view belittles the wonder and beauty of reality. The world seen through Christian eyes is impoverished, flat, dull and simplistic compared to the richness of the world seen by the curious, questioning, scientific mind. To me, for all the sadness and suffering on earth, this universe is absolutely amazing. Can you imagine what it would be like if the Christians were right ? How disappointing would that be ? If it were all true, if all this was just a throwaway practice-run for heaven, and you'd have to spend eternity with a bunch of Christians if you pass the test ?

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
blackmath wrote: The world

blackmath wrote:
The world seen through Christian eyes is impoverished, flat, dull and simplistic compared to the richness of the world seen by the curious, questioning, scientific mind.
I would say this is a misconception, because, to me, as a Christian, when I look at the universe, I think it is, to use your words "absolutely amazing." Also, I am a curious individual. The only difference is, when I study science, I think, "Wow, God can do all this?" I'm guessing, when you have your "wow" moments, you simply leave off the last part of that phrase.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: The only

sugarfree wrote:
The only difference is, when I study science, I think, "Wow, God can do all this?" I'm guessing, when you have your "wow" moments, you simply leave off the last part of that phrase.

You have just defined your "god" as a god of the gaps. Another christian admits to this fallacy... 

blackmath
User is offlineOffline
Yes that's true, when I

Yes that's true, when I have 'wow' moments I experience them without even thinking of a god and I bet they're pretty much the same ecstatic experiences for me as they are for you.

I think that God is a projection of the human mind because He has a human-like personality (as described in the bible). We humans have evolved an acute ability to simulate other humans' minds (because we must live within a network of other humans to survive). We spend our days with a constant babble of conversational fragments echoing in our heads, glimses of simulations of possible futures in our personal relationships with family and friends, our brains are so powerful they can easily run simulations of many people at once (in our unconscious) in many permutations. This is how we are able to second-guess one another, how we do the right thing by one another how we anticipate eachother's needs. However we can't turn it off; our people-simulating abilities are always running. People derive understanding by casting themselves into the position of the system being studied. When we are children the most powerful people in the universe are our parents and almost everything in life is controlled by them. When we grow up our parents become more like friends but perhaps we never quite loose the child's feeling of a parental figure being in control of things. I think that's why God is also a Father - he's basically a functional projection of your dad but with the personality of the believer.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: sugarfree

BGH wrote:

sugarfree wrote:
The only difference is, when I study science, I think, "Wow, God can do all this?" I'm guessing, when you have your "wow" moments, you simply leave off the last part of that phrase.

You have just defined your "god" as a god of the gaps. Another christian admits to this fallacy... 

I do not follow your line of reasoning. What does my comment have to do with "gaps"?

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote:

sugarfree wrote:
I do not follow your line of reasoning. What does my comment have to do with "gaps"?

You read science and think "Wow, God can do all this?", you are essentially plugging god in as the answer when you do not understand or when science has not been able to explain something. That is, the god of the gaps, plugging god in where ever there is ignorance or lack of data. There is nothing wrong with saying "I don't know" instead of using an utter non-answer.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
blackmath wrote: Yes

blackmath wrote:
Yes that’s true, when I have wow; moments I experience them without even thinking of a god and I bet they’re pretty much the same ecstatic experiences for me as they are for you.
I think we are mainly in agreement here. The difference in our experience would come as I then contemplate that the God who made the universe also loves me.

blackmath wrote:
I think that God is a projection of the human mind because He has a human-like personality (as described in the bible). We humans have evolved an acute ability to simulate other humans; minds (because we must live within a network of other humans to survive). We spend our days with a constant babble of conversational fragments echoing in our heads, glimses of simulations of possible futures in our personal relationships with family and friends, our brains are so powerful they can easily run simulations of many people at once (in our unconscious) in many permutations. This is how we are able to second-guess one another, how we do the right thing by one another how we anticipate eachother’s needs. However we can’t turn it off; our people-simulating abilities are always running. People derive understanding by casting themselves into the position of the system being studied. When we are children the most powerful people in the universe are our parents and almost everything in life is controlled by them.

Have you studied sociology? I ask because I have not studied it in detail. I took archeology over sociology in college…which turned out to be a big bore, the prof managed to make archeology boring…I was quite disappointed because it is such an interesting subject. Anyway, point is, I don’t feel I have the credentials to fully comment on your theories as I feel they fit more into the realm of sociology.

I have studied the humanities, focusing on extracting common themes from various sources of art and literature. For me personally, I think our constant seeking and desire to understand that which is bigger than us, specifically God, is quite fascinating and telling. Just last night, I was watching a news show and someone was mentioning how fast the Muslim faith is growing. People, to this day, are still seeking.

I am not discounting that, in a social setting, we influence each other and that those influences can often be profound. But, for me, that does not provide adequate explanation for why there are so many myths, religions involving God or god-like characters. Here’s a couple comparisons to demonstrate why I think this…

It is known that babies require the loving touch of another human being, and that they can actually die without it. The loving touch (which is different then just picking the baby up to feed it) of a human being is vital to a baby’s survival and proper development.

But what is love? We can’t point to an object and say, there it is. It cannot be seen, except by action, and yet, most well-balanced human beings would say with certainty that love exists. What is it about this invisible thing, love, that is so supportive to babies? In my opinion, it could have to do with energies that we cannot see with the human eye, and that we do not currently have any way of measuring. Regardless, in love, you have an example of something invisible, yet real, that is vital to us as humans if we want to function optimally.

I think God can be understood somewhat on the same terms. First there is the need for God. This need has been demonstrated extensively throughout human history in our literature and art. Second, you have that which fills the need. Actually many things can fill the need. Many are counterfit; however, (I argue) only one (God himself) is authentic. I’m going to use the second comparison to explain further…

Take beta endorphin receptors. Various illegal drugs fit into beta endorphin receptors and block pain. But beta endorphin receptors were only truly designed for beta endorphin. Long term use of any drug, even a prescription drug, that fakes out the beta endorphin system leads to illness. So, you have the little beta endorphin receptor that screams when it’s been empty for too long (the need), heroin, for example (the counterfit thing which temporarily fills the need), and beta endorphin (the thing which is truly designed to fill the need).

In terms of God, there is our need for Him, anything that fills that need which is not God, and then God Himself as the real thing.

Given all the above, I argue the need for Him and then His ability to fill the need more effectively than any other available option are both evidence of his existance.

Okay, now…pounce. Eye-wink

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline

BGH wrote:

sugarfree wrote:

You read science and think "Wow, God can do all this?", you are essentially plugging god in as the answer when you do not understand or when science has not been able to explain something. That is, the god of the gaps, plugging god in where ever there is ignorance or lack of data. There is nothing wrong with saying "I don't know" instead of using an utter non-answer.

I think you misunderstood me. I'm talking about learning about atoms and saying, wow, I look like I'm solid but I'm really a bunch of empty space? Freaky! Then me saying, "God, you really are quite creative" as a result of what I had just learned.

Mjolnin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I have to say, “I find a

I have to say, “I find a great deal of humor when reading any of this.”  The 'logic' of Genesis?? Logic is nothing more than a projected line of thinking influenced by a persons surroundings. If logic is so simple we would all think a like and come to the exact conclusion.  Many of our miss guided religious leaders try to convince us what we should do by pulling verses out of the Bible and telling us what it means out of context. Doing the same to disprove God is just as weak. If you read the Bible as a story, this statement is like deciding how the book ends by reading the cover.  

our brains are so powerful they can easily run simulations of many people at once (in our unconscious) in many permutations. This is how we are able to second-guess one another… Yes you are right and I do agree!!! And no one has ever guest wrong. .

The mind is often only a tool for our self-deception.

If you follow my logic you would understand that the "fall of man" in the Garden of Eden had to happen before “men” could go beyond Eden and populate the Earth. Even Luke had meet and understand the darkside (in a situation controlled by yoda) before moving a head on his training.

Lets follow current logic on raising a child. Almost all children eventually rebel against their parents. Telling a young adult no doesn’t teach a lesson or stop them. So we let them test the waters while watching and hiding. Let them rebel so they could get a feel for what it is like. Then the parent helps them go forward again. God is a planner and manipulator and far better than I.  To completely understand the logic of Genesis is to understand the logic of the Bible and is to understand the reason we are here and to know how it all ends. The books are compiled but we are living in the chapters and we don’t know the ending. When you find out how it ends please tell me, I am dying to know

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok, two things Sugarfree:

Ok, two things

Sugarfree: Babies will not die with out "loving" touch.  If you want to say it cite where you found this information.  Babies will not develop into socially well adjusted adults without touch and speech and a myriad of other things.  I didn't even need to read the rest of your argument, you began it by stating a lie as truth.

And..

Just because so many people have thought there is some form of higher power for most history does not make it right.  In fact, you probably think that 99% of those people are completely off base in their assertions about the nature, definition and particulars of god.  Do you really think a weak argument from majority is going to win you followers here? 

No Gods, Know Peace.

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mjolnin wrote: I have to

Mjolnin wrote:
I have to say, “I find a great deal of humor when reading any of this.” The 'logic' of Genesis?? Logic is nothing more than a projected line of thinking influenced by a persons surroundings. If logic is so simple we would all think a like and come to the exact conclusion. Many of our miss guided religious leaders try to convince us what we should do by pulling verses out of the Bible and telling us what it means out of context. Doing the same to disprove God is just as weak. If you read the Bible as a story, this statement is like deciding how the book ends by reading the cover.

our brains are so powerful they can easily run simulations of many people at once (in our unconscious) in many permutations. This is how we are able to second-guess one another… Yes you are right and I do agree!!! And no one has ever guest wrong. .

The mind is often only a tool for our self-deception.

If you follow my logic you would understand that the "fall of man" in the Garden of Eden had to happen before “men” could go beyond Eden and populate the Earth. Even Luke had meet and understand the darkside (in a situation controlled by yoda) before moving a head on his training.

Lets follow current logic on raising a child. Almost all children eventually rebel against their parents. Telling a young adult no doesn’t teach a lesson or stop them. So we let them test the waters while watching and hiding. Let them rebel so they could get a feel for what it is like. Then the parent helps them go forward again. God is a planner and manipulator and far better than I. To completely understand the logic of Genesis is to understand the logic of the Bible and is to understand the reason we are here and to know how it all ends. The books are compiled but we are living in the chapters and we don’t know the ending. When you find out how it ends please tell me, I am dying to know

Wow that's the best argument for ignorance I've ever heard...oh wait... no it's not. it's yesterday's played out argument for ignorance with some babble in front of it.

No Gods, Know Peace.

Mjolnin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Wow that's the best

Wow that's the best argument for ignorance I've ever heard...oh wait... no it's not. it's yesterday's played out argument for ignorance with some babble in front of it.

The actual argument for ignorance is argumentum ad ignorantiam , ("appeal to ignorance”) . An adage regarding this fallacy from the Philosophy of Science is that "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence": Not having evidence for something is not proof that something is not or cannot be true, it is simply lack of evidence and nothing more. An important aspect of the ad ignorantiam argument is establishing the burden of proof. While this concept is often discussed it is important to realize that establishing the burden of proof is important in other arenas as well. 

Your responce is is also called argumentum ad populum " to ignor oneside or the other. An argument from personal incredulity is the same as an argument from ignorance only if the person making the argument has solely their particular personal belief in the impossibility of the one scenario as "evidence" that the alternative scenario is true

All logic follows from presuppositions not provable but are assumed as true. God cannot be scientifically proven or disproven, but science is not the only path to knowledge.

I like babble. Besides, all this has been played in the past.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mjolnin, you need to take it

Mjolnin, you need to take it easy with the text formatting. It makes it difficult for some people to read.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
NinjaTux wrote: Ok, two

NinjaTux wrote:
Ok, two things

Sugarfree: Babies will not die with out "loving" touch.  If you want to say it cite where you found this information.  Babies will not develop into socially well adjusted adults without touch and speech and a myriad of other things.

There was a time when doctors thought that infant formula was superior to breast milk. They were wrong about that. Mothers were told to "not spoil their babies and to let them cry". Later, doctors realized that infants wither and die without human touch. What about all those Soviet children that were left on their own, crying in their cribs without proper attention? Now these children, who were adopted into this country have all sorts of horrendous emotional problems and learning disabilities. Babies need nurturing and it is not spoiling them to provide it. Spoiling means "ruining" and you cannot ruin a child with love and affection, you ruin him by abandoning him and ignoring his needs.

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/infant.htm

In a Harvard Medical School study of an overcrowded orphanage in Romania, researchers found that babies who lay for hours without physical human contact suffered stunted growth and had abnormal levels of cortisol.

http://whalonlab.msu.edu/Student_Webpages/Babies/The%20Sense%20of%20Touch.htm

Touch is the earliest sense to develop in a fetus, and infants who enjoy touch in abundance grow faster, cry less and have higher IQ scores later in life. The reverse also holds: untouched infants do not merely fail to thrive — they die. Into the beginning of the 20th century, some American orphans were rarely touched, and they deteriorated for no clear medical reason. Nearly 100 percent of them died.

http://www.boundless.org/features/a0000969.html

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok first You said babies

Ok first You said babies would DIE, not have develpomental problems. Those are two sepparate issues.  Second, you seriously did not just cite shirley's wellness cafe as a source did you.

I don't even have to answer to your sources they did not prove that babies will DIE. 

No Gods, Know Peace.

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mjolnin. I literally meant

Mjolnin.

I literally meant it as an argument for ignorance.  If humans followed your logic we would all be ignorant. 

No Gods, Know Peace.

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mjolnin wrote: To

Mjolnin wrote:
To completely understand the logic of Genesis is to understand the logic of the Bible and is to understand the reason we are here and to know how it all ends. The books are compiled but we are living in the chapters and we don’t know the ending. When you find out how it ends please tell me, I am dying to know

You say that understanding the logic of genesis will lead to the ability to tell the future...that's an interesting hypothesis. 

No Gods, Know Peace.

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pouncing...  sugarfree

Pouncing... 

sugarfree wrote:
blackmath wrote:
Yes that’s true, when I have wow; moments I experience them without even thinking of a god and I bet they’re pretty much the same ecstatic experiences for me as they are for you.
I think we are mainly in agreement here. The difference in our experience would come as I then contemplate that the God who made the universe also loves me.

If the God who made the universe loves you so much then why are you almost totally insignificant with respect to that universe? You lack any power or influence, and you may be snuffed out at any moment by any number of random events. Going further, our entire civilization could be destroyed at any time by any one of several cosmological events. I take much greater care with the safety of my kids.  

sugarfree wrote:

For me personally, I think our constant seeking and desire to understand that which is bigger than us, specifically God, is quite fascinating and telling.

So the fact that we ask questions means there is a certain answer? There are two sources for human curiousity: 1) an evolutionary adaptation which keeps us exploring for new sources of food/shelter and b) a natural offshoot of our consciousness' constant monitoring of our subconscious brain activity. We ask "why do I think that?" because consciousness is a feedback loop which allows us to differentiate between ourselves an our surroundings. 

sugarfree wrote:

Just last night, I was watching a news show and someone was mentioning how fast the Muslim faith is growing. People, to this day, are still seeking.

The growth of the Muslim faith has nothing to do with religious "seeking" and everything to do with politics. It's about being in with the right group to get ahead in these backward societies.

sugarfree wrote:

I am not discounting that, in a social setting, we influence each other and that those influences can often be profound. But, for me, that does not provide adequate explanation for why there are so many myths, religions involving God or god-like characters.

You just provided an excellent argument against God. If there is one God, and he wants us to know him, why is there so much disagreement about who/what he is? Is God incapable of proving his own existence?

sugarfree wrote:
Here’s a couple comparisons to demonstrate why I think this… It is known that babies require the loving touch of another human being, and that they can actually die without it. The loving touch (which is different then just picking the baby up to feed it) of a human being is vital to a baby’s survival and proper development. But what is love? We can’t point to an object and say, there it is. It cannot be seen, except by action, and yet, most well-balanced human beings would say with certainty that love exists. What is it about this invisible thing, love, that is so supportive to babies? In my opinion, it could have to do with energies that we cannot see with the human eye, and that we do not currently have any way of measuring. Regardless, in love, you have an example of something invisible, yet real, that is vital to us as humans if we want to function optimally.

Babies need to be touched in order for their brains to develop properly, yes. This is part and parcel of our identity as social animals and may also be connected to the development of consciousness which is, as I've mentioned, a seperating of the individual from his surroundings. A baby's need for touch is a purely developmental, biological phenomenon for which there is ample explanation in science.

Babies have no way of knowing whether the person touching them loves them or not, outside of regular, non-supernatural cues like body language and voice tone. Yes, if a baby is never shown love through these cues, s/he will grow up developmentally stunted. Again, our brains are made to develop as part of a social family group, and will not mature properly if we are removed from that environment. 

Babies do not pick up telepathic messages of love from parents, and you have no evidence to suggest that they do. The fact that babies need love is a function of social and evolutionary biology. it has nothing to do with God.

sugarfree wrote:
I think God can be understood somewhat on the same terms. First there is the need for God. This need has been demonstrated extensively throughout human history in our literature and art.

There is no evidence anywhere of a human "need" for God. The idea of God is ubiquitous througout history, yes. This does not mean that there was an innate need, only that many people found it profitable to propagate this idea. Many, many people have become inordinately fixated on the idea of God, yes. However most people are not. God exists in most people's lives in terms of a church community that they belong to. Their real attachment is to the community, not to an imaginary person they never hear from. Millions of people have lived happily ever after without believing in God at all. They are called atheists. 

sugarfree wrote:

Second, you have that which fills the need. Actually many things can fill the need. Many are counterfit; however, (I argue) only one (God himself) is authentic. I’m going to use the second comparison to explain further… Take beta endorphin receptors. Various illegal drugs fit into beta endorphin receptors and block pain. But beta endorphin receptors were only truly designed for beta endorphin. Long term use of any drug, even a prescription drug, that fakes out the beta endorphin system leads to illness. So, you have the little beta endorphin receptor that screams when it’s been empty for too long (the need), heroin, for example (the counterfit thing which temporarily fills the need), and beta endorphin (the thing which is truly designed to fill the need). In terms of God, there is our need for Him, anything that fills that need which is not God, and then God Himself as the real thing. Given all the above, I argue the need for Him and then His ability to fill the need more effectively than any other available option are both evidence of his existance. Okay, now…pounce. Eye-wink

Beta endorphins are naturally produced in our brains when we are happy. Are you saying that people need to be happy? Yep, they sure do. Are you saying that we have to have either God or drugs to be happy? Well, then I'm not sure how you'd explain me, since I'm neither high on God or drugs yet have a full load of beta endorphins and feel quite happy.

Hey, there's a theory! Maybe people have an innate need to prove theists wrong!

This whole line of reasoning is rather unproductive, I'm afraid, since just showing that people need this or that doesn't mean that this or that exists. I'm quite comfortable with the theory that most people are idiots and wrong about most things, including their own needs. 

Lazy is a word we use when someone isn't doing what we want them to do.
- Dr. Joy Brown

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: I think

sugarfree wrote:
I think that God is a projection of the human mind because He has a human-like personality (as described in the bible). We humans have evolved an acute ability to simulate other humans; minds (because we must live within a network of other humans to survive). We spend our days with a constant babble of conversational fragments echoing in our heads, glimses of simulations of possible futures in our personal relationships with family and friends, our brains are so powerful they can easily run simulations of many people at once (in our unconscious) in many permutations. This is how we are able to second-guess one another, how we do the right thing by one another how we anticipate eachother’s needs. However we can’t turn it off; our people-simulating abilities are always running. People derive understanding by casting themselves into the position of the system being studied. When we are children the most powerful people in the universe are our parents and almost everything in life is controlled by them.

Once again, you have typed a lot without really saying anything. So we are pack animals. So what?

sugarfree wrote:
Have you studied sociology? I ask because I have not studied it in detail. I took archeology over sociology in college…which turned out to be a big bore, the prof managed to make archeology boring…I was quite disappointed because it is such an interesting subject. Anyway, point is, I don’t feel I have the credentials to fully comment on your theories as I feel they fit more into the realm of sociology. I have studied the humanities, focusing on extracting common themes from various sources of art and literature. For me personally, I think our constant seeking and desire to understand that which is bigger than us, specifically God, is quite fascinating and telling. Just last night, I was watching a news show and someone was mentioning how fast the Muslim faith is growing. People, to this day, are still seeking.

If you are born to parents that subscribe to the Muslim religion you will be killed if you refute their ideology. I would not call this seeking. I would call it propagating igonorance.

sugarfree wrote:
I am not discounting that, in a social setting, we influence each other and that those influences can often be profound. But, for me, that does not provide adequate explanation for why there are so many myths, religions involving God or god-like characters.

Well, at least you admit it is a myth.

sugarfree wrote:
Here’s a couple comparisons to demonstrate why I think this… It is known that babies require the loving touch of another human being, and that they can actually die without it. The loving touch (which is different then just picking the baby up to feed it) of a human being is vital to a baby’s survival and proper development. But what is love? We can’t point to an object and say, there it is. It cannot be seen, except by action, and yet, most well-balanced human beings would say with certainty that love exists. What is it about this invisible thing, love, that is so supportive to babies? In my opinion, it could have to do with energies that we cannot see with the human eye, and that we do not currently have any way of measuring. Regardless, in love, you have an example of something invisible, yet real, that is vital to us as humans if we want to function optimally. I think God can be understood somewhat on the same terms. First there is the need for God. This need has been demonstrated extensively throughout human history in our literature and art. Second, you have that which fills the need. Actually many things can fill the need. Many are counterfit; however, (I argue) only one (God himself) is authentic. I’m going to use the second comparison to explain further… Take beta endorphin receptors. Various illegal drugs fit into beta endorphin receptors and block pain. But beta endorphin receptors were only truly designed for beta endorphin. Long term use of any drug, even a prescription drug, that fakes out the beta endorphin system leads to illness. So, you have the little beta endorphin receptor that screams when it’s been empty for too long (the need), heroin, for example (the counterfit thing which temporarily fills the need), and beta endorphin (the thing which is truly designed to fill the need). In terms of God, there is our need for Him, anything that fills that need which is not God, and then God Himself as the real thing. Given all the above, I argue the need for Him and then His ability to fill the need more effectively than any other available option are both evidence of his existance. Okay, now…pounce. Eye-wink

NinjaTux has already explained the error in your statement plus your links were ridiculous. Here is another one you can ponder in your spare time. I remember seeing this study some years ago and it was fascinating...."bonding" does not necessarily require two humans/animals. Surrogates were given to the infant monkeys to which they bonded immediately. Does your human like god inhabit inanimate objects? You have already rationalized god to the point of resembling your next door neighbor. You have given yourself god-like powers to change your human-like god to fit your needs.

Quester
Theist
User is offlineOffline
blackmath wrote: According

blackmath wrote:

According to the 'logic' of Genesis, Adam and Eve's gullibility was responsible for The Fall since they were born innocent, unable to distinguish between the validity of God's instructions and those of God's indirect creation The Devil (in the form of a snake), therefore they just believed whatever they were told and here we are, sinners all.

I think the Genesis story (or at least the one you describe, the second story), while obviously not being one of historical or scientific truth does have some truths that it can reveal to us.

Firstly, in evolutionary terms, this story seems coherent to me (I do not mean to say that God started evolution in the Garden of Eden or anything like this, simply that metaphorically it works).  I think we would agree that animals are incapable of being "moral" (at least as far as humans are) because they do not have the mental faculties to conceive of morality in the same way that we do.  In the course of human evolution there was a point that we did not have the mental capacity to be moral.  Now once humans had developed to the point that they were in fact capable of being moral creatures (I do not know what point this is) they could make a choice between good and evil.  Once they had the ability to think rationally they were responsible for the actions that they took and Satan (evil choices, evil force, whatever you want to conceive of him as) was able to influence them.  The ability of humans to think rationally allows them to "fall".

Secondly, in each person's personal development s/he reaches a point that s/he can discern what is right and what is wrong.  Infants, for example, do not consider their options and reason out choices and therefore we do not hold them to the same moral standards as adults.  There is a point in each person's life when s/he is no longer innocent and the story of the "fall" tells us that.

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
think we would agree that

think we would agree that animals are incapable of being "moral" (at least as far as humans are) because they do not have the mental faculties to conceive of morality in the same way that we do.

Animal morality has been well documented by primatologists. All animals which co-operate in societies have some sort of, however primative, "moral code". Unlike ours, theirs is mostly grounded in genetic instinct, like animal altruism and pack mentality.

In the course of human evolution there was a point that we did not have the mental capacity to be moral.

Because human society changes based on limits which are far faster than genetic evolution, the nuerology behind human morality is much more plastic. We have the same instincts that animals do (altruism, pack mentality etc), but for the most part, human distinguishing between right and wrong is quite subjective, and is neuroplastic based on the society in which they were raised and the experiences they had through their life.

Now once humans had developed to the point that they were in fact capable of being moral creatures (I do not know what point this is) they could make a choice between good and evil.

"Choice" is the wrong word, considering that good and evil shift throughout societies and time periods. However, many things have remained constant throughout human history, like cannabilism is wrong or murder or incest etc, and these tend to be grounded in instinct not plasticity.

Once they had the ability to think rationally they were responsible for the actions that they took and Satan (evil choices, evil force, whatever you want to conceive of him as) was able to influence them.  The ability of humans to think rationally allows them to "fall".

I do not follow this logic.

Secondly, in each person's personal development s/he reaches a point that s/he can discern what is right and what is wrong.

Yes.

There is a point in each person's life when s/he is no longer innocent and the story of the "fall" tells us that.

No. The story of the fall tells us that God is so deranged he punishes the whole of humanity for all eternity for what two of their first ancestors did.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think that God is a

I think that God is a projection of the human mind because He has a human-like personality (as described in the bible)

Saying that God is a projection of the human mind is a rather odd thing for a theist to say because that essentially means that we created him, or we made him up. That is the definition of projectionalism. I find it difficult to grasp the logic that God has a human-like mind because my understanding of the contradiction of "theological epistemology" is that God is not physical ie not composed of matter but rather "spirit" whatever that means. However, to the very best of my knowledge about neurology, and "emotion" or "personality" or any sentience whatsoever has a very first requisite of being based on an information processing machine. In humans, this machine is the parallel computing function of 100 billion neurons and 100 trillion ions that flow between them. The most basic information processor (presumably God would be the ultimate information processer as he is omniscient) would at very least be based on thermal gradient distribution of parallel-aligned protons and electrons. But God does not even have that. 

-Me

Books about atheism

Juvenile Narcissist
Silver Member
Juvenile Narcissist's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: It is

sugarfree wrote:
It is known that babies require the loving touch of another human being, and that they can actually die without it. The loving touch (which is different then just picking the baby up to feed it) of a human being is vital to a baby’s survival and proper development.

many people have adequately addressed this issue already, but i'd like to add that humans are by no means the only animal that will fail to thrive if not given physical contact as infants.

sugarfree wrote:

But what is love? We can’t point to an object and say, there it is.

::points to brain:: "there it is." we have no reason thus far to believe that love is any more than a biochemical reaction in the brain.

sugarfree wrote:

It cannot be seen, except by action, and yet, most well-balanced human beings would say with certainty that love exists. What is it about this invisible thing, love, that is so supportive to babies?

it's not the "love," it's the touch.

sugarfree wrote:

In my opinion, it could have to do with energies that we cannot see with the human eye, and that we do not currently have any way of measuring.

or it could have nothing to do with the emotion at all.

Rill

blackmath
User is offlineOffline
 Err, I said that (see top

Err, I said that (see top of thread) - and I'm not a theist.

I was pointing to how parochial the god of the bible is, how human he seems to be and I suggest that this humanness is because he is a projection of ourselves "into the sky".

Note how we humans tend to anthropommorphize everything, we think of our cars as somehow having personalities, we see emotions in the weather, we see a face in the moon.

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
  It cannot be seen,

It cannot be seen, except by action, and yet, most well-balanced human beings would say with certainty that love exists. What is it about this invisible thing, love, that is so supportive to babies?   In my opinion, it could have to do with energies that we cannot see with the human eye, and that we do not currently have any way of measuring. 

This is an argument from ignorance. The biochemistry behind love is well documented, even if alot of it is hitherto not understood. It is not "invisible". That's ridiculous. It's perfectly tangible. The endocrines and genes behind the instinctive survival necessity of it for babies is also well documented. It hs nothing to do with "energies", it's about hormone receptors and neurotransmission.

-Me

Books about atheism

blackmath
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree - it's true that

sugarfree - it's true that people (and babies) can die through neglect and for want of love. Love is a necessity, it is the social magnetism which bonds our network together.

Without love, parents would have no motivation to care for their children and those children would grow to be ill-equipped for life. But we are descended from people who loved and were loved. Evolution has tuned our emotions with many feedback loops which keep us fit to survive this planet and eachother. Love is part of a social feedback loop which rewards us for various behaviours (care, kindness) towards immediate family members first, then others. Romantic love rewards us for finding a mate and remodels our personalities for a while, reproduction being our primary ancestral function. But we fall out of love too if the feedback is wrong and move on to find someone more suitable.

Love is, like all the emotions, a feeling induced by chemicals in the brain (oxytocin, vasopressin, maybe) in response to various stimuli. Those stimuli are not entirely hard-coded and can be partially modified during our lives. Some people are actually more capable of love, more loving in general, and this may reflect the rates of production of various chemicals in their brains due to their particular genetic configuration.

It's obvious that, being part of a network and dependent on it, we must try to extend our love as far as we can because in the network "what goes around comes around" ("love thy neighbour...&quotEye-wink.

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
vasopressin, maybe Just

vasopressin, maybe

Just because I am extremely nitpicky/neurotic lol, vasopressin is not an emotion-inducing hormone, it's also called Anti-diuretic hormone, and controls the osmeotic gradient of active uptake of nuetrients in the kidneys. 

-Me

Books about atheism

Quester
Theist
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote: think we

deludedgod wrote:

think we would agree that animals are incapable of being "moral" (at least as far as humans are) because they do not have the mental faculties to conceive of morality in the same way that we do.

Animal morality has been well documented by primatologists. All animals which co-operate in societies have some sort of, however primative, "moral code". Unlike ours, theirs is mostly grounded in genetic instinct, like animal altruism and pack mentality.

I understand that animals have traits, like the pack mentality, that allow them to operate so that they benefit others in their group.  You do, however, admit that they are operating off of genetic instinct and therefore are not making decisions in the same, rational, way humans do.

deludedgod wrote:

In the course of human evolution there was a point that we did not have the mental capacity to be moral.

Because human society changes based on limits which are far faster than genetic evolution, the nuerology behind human morality is much more plastic. We have the same instincts that animals do (altruism, pack mentality etc), but for the most part, human distinguishing between right and wrong is quite subjective, and is neuroplastic based on the society in which they were raised and the experiences they had through their life.

Human societies today changing faster than genetics would compel them to seems to support my point here, the point being that humans can now think through their morality whereas they could not previously. I'm not exactly sure what you mean with the neuroplastic point, could you explain that more? However, I would say that humans are influenced a great deal by their societies, this is pretty clear. So, do you base your morality off of the society that you live in? I imagine, as an atheist, you were brought up in an evironment that was not favorable to you becoming an atheist, but that you reasoned through your position to come to your beliefs. (Forgive me if you were raised an atheist.) Now while morality cannot be derived completely from logic, are there not moral precepts that we think true and think about logically? Does that not seperate us from animals?

deludedgod wrote:

Now once humans had developed to the point that they were in fact capable of being moral creatures (I do not know what point this is) they could make a choice between good and evil.

"Choice" is the wrong word, considering that good and evil shift throughout societies and time periods. However, many things have remained constant throughout human history, like cannabilism is wrong or murder or incest etc, and these tend to be grounded in instinct not plasticity.

Murder has been considered wrong throughout human history? Even if it has, it has not been followed. If it's such a clear, genetic, subconscious, instinct that killing is bad, why all the wars? I think if anything the huge numbers of wars, murders, and what you would probably consider to be anti-instinctual (is that a word?) actions would point to the fact that we do not always follow this genetic morality. I think that "choice" is the right word because as humans we can choose to be less than human, we can reject these principles and do things like murder. What we conceptualize as "good" and "evil" does shift throughout history, but is this evidence in itself that what is "good" and what is "evil" changes? (I assume that as an atheist, you believe that good and evil exist only as human mental constructs and therefore do change with whichever people exist, but I don't know. I think that this theory of morality has serious flaws in that it points to there being no reason other than self-interest to be moral.)

deludedgod wrote:

Once they had the ability to think rationally they were responsible for the actions that they took and Satan (evil choices, evil force, whatever you want to conceive of him as) was able to influence them.  The ability of humans to think rationally allows them to "fall".

I do not follow this logic.

If we can think rationally and then choose to be less than human, then we can fall from our humanity.

deludedgod wrote:

Secondly, in each person's personal development s/he reaches a point that s/he can discern what is right and what is wrong.

Yes.

There is a point in each person's life when s/he is no longer innocent and the story of the "fall" tells us that.

No. The story of the fall tells us that God is so deranged he punishes the whole of humanity for all eternity for what two of their first ancestors did.

Well if humans are entirely a result of their genetics and society, as you state, then humans do get their "evil" traits from their ancestors.  We could also say that God allows humans to choose good and evil and have their lives mean something. I do not know what the punishment of seeing good and evil is. It is the same choice that lets people turn towards God that allows them to turn away from Him. Plus, I know that there are parts of the Old Testament that do not seem rational, moral, etc. especially with respect to the actions that God takes.  However, if you look at the society that the writers of the stories lived in, then you can see part of why they conceptualized God the way they did. I think there is still truth that you can glean from the Genesis story, whether you choose to ignore these truths is your choice.

blackmath
User is offlineOffline
Vasopressin has been found

Vasopressin has been found to have an influence on pair-bonding and so may have a role in romantic love.

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
'm not exactly sure what

'm not exactly sure what you mean with the neuroplastic point, could you explain that more?

There is a whole body of research supporting the notion that personal ethics is the cumulative effect of life experience and societal codes,this is heavily influenced by neuroplasticity.

When a baby is born, his brain is an unconnected jumble of wires. There are so many neurons, about 1000 times the amount that an adult has. As he develops motor function and speech through repeated trial and error, the neurons start connecting with each other and different areas of the brain. And as neurons overlap and enmesh, the baser instincts separate from the ancient primitive limbic brain are burned deeper and deeper, literally, as they are enmeshed under thick tangles of neurons undergoing synaptogenesis synapse formation. This is the same way that a child learns language, motor skills, and morality.

So, do you base your morality off of the society that you live in? 

To some degree it is quite instinctive. If you had been born in Saudi Arabia, you would undoubtably be a Muslim under pain of death, you would probably think nuking Israel was acceptable and that gouging out someone's eye as punishment is just (under Sharia, it is). However, as the memetic relationships become quite complex, whole sub-cultures tend to diverge. This depends on the freedom of a society. In a highly controlling Orwellian society like North Korea or Iran, this will not exist, but in Western democracies it will. It depends how you define society.

I imagine, as an atheist, you were brought up in an evironment that was not favorable to you becoming an atheist, but that you reasoned through your position to come to your beliefs. (Forgive me if you were raised an atheist.)

I had the fortune to be born with complete freedom of religion, and I grew up in Hong Kong, where there is no social stigma attached to not believing in God, or believing in God. My family is of Jewish bloodline, but yes, in tracing my lineage I find my great-grandparents, grandparents and parents were all atheists.

I am in the middle of a debate about the same thing with someone else and this is what I wrote:

The social zeitgeist progress drives towards humanism, at least how I consider progress. What we actually see, thusly, is not that ethical codes are supplied, but rather become malleable. What this means is that in a society whose foundation is rationalism, humanism should logically follow because it is a logical system of metaphysical ethics. Therefore it does not command or "tell" someone anything. It merely encourages rational thought and respect for human beings. From this, a strong ethical foundation can be built by an individual without society "telling" him/her what to believe. That’s ethics. Morality is somewhat different, and is much more grounded in neurology and neuroplasticity than societal pressure. I feel we should carefully distinguish between the two.

ow while morality cannot be derived completely from logic, are there not moral precepts that we think true and think about logically? Does that not seperate us from animals?

Yes. Morality is partially grounded in instinct, partially in experience, and hopefully, partially in logic.

Murder has been considered wrong throughout human history? 

That was unclear. I meant that throughout the history of human civilization, unsanctioned murder was considered a criminal act, for obvious reasons that if it was not, society would certinaly descend into savage barbarism. Even if jurisprudence was ghastly and war was abound, within a social framework or memeplex, murder has always been considered criminal, even if the punishment for it was, well, death.

I think if anything the huge numbers of wars, murders, and what you would probably consider to be anti-instinctual (is that a word?)

No, it's not a word LOL. Actually, murder is a human instinct. From the early rise of man, before societies when humans operated in kin like knit-packs and family groups, murder was a useful tool for extinguishing other clans with which you were in conflict. However, within a single clan, murder was held in deep contempt and the punishment for it was death. (This is highly instinctive because in genetics you have a very strong instinct to protect your genetic lineage, which includes your kin and your siblings.

Steven Pinker, in The Blank Slate, argues the same thing. He says that human society breaks free from evolutionary instinct because social codes adapt much faster than genes for survival.

I think that "choice" is the right word because as humans we can choose to be less than human, we can reject these principles and do things like murder.

Instinctively, murder is not inhuman, that is societal. That was the observation I drew about "human history", namely that as soon as humans organized themselves into complex society, they enforced rules contradictory to their nature. That was what I meant. I'm sorry if it was unclear.

What we conceptualize as "good" and "evil" does shift throughout history, but is this evidence in itself that what is "good" and what is "evil" changes? (I assume that as an atheist, you believe that good and evil exist only as human mental constructs and therefore do change with whichever people exist, but I don't know. I think that this theory of morality has serious flaws in that it points to there being no reason other than self-interest to be moral.)

It's not flawed. There is no reason to suppose that good and evil are any more than human constructs. Why is it flawed?

If we can think rationally and then choose to be less than human, then we can fall from our humanity.

That's more clear. However, I don't think that has anything to do with the fall story, because the fall story indicates that humans were originally perfect, which is clearly not true, and then they rejected God's law, again not true, and then he damned the whole race for all eternity, which is nonsense.

Well if humans are entirely a result of their genetics and society, as you state, then humans do get their "evil" traits from their ancestors.

That's not very clear. And it doesn't link to the fall. The fall is about people being punished for what their ancestors did.

We could also say that God allows humans to choose good and evil and have their lives mean something.

I don't follow the second part of the sentence.

Plus, I know that there are parts of the Old Testament that do not seem rational, moral, etc. especially with respect to the actions that God takes.  However, if you look at the society that the writers of the stories lived in, then you can see part of why they conceptualized God the way they did.

Yes, I have read the torah, and found Yahweh to be the most unpleasant character in all of fiction. But all this proves is how much "good" and "evil" changes over time. In the time of the Old Testament, it was completely OK to obey a command to sacrifice a child under command, and for some reason this story is considered loving (I wonder how loving it is to cause such ghastly physcological trauma to a child), and to slaughter a large number of innocent people to prove a point (tenth plague) and to inflict terrible suffering on a good man to prove a point (Job) and to hand your daughter over for rape (Sodom and Gomorrah).

If a man followed the OT for morality today, he would be criminally insane.

. I think there is still truth that you can glean from the Genesis story, whether you choose to ignore these truths is your choice.

Don't follow this. You're implying the truth is metaphorical, a fable with a lesson. You can only ignore a truth if it is tangible.  

-Me

Books about atheism

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quick point with regards to

Quick point with regards to the use of the word "murder" and combining it with any variant of the phrase "always been considered immoral/wrong/bad/unwanted".

Since the conversation seems to be touching upon concepts of morality.. I think one must be a little more specific with regards to this word:

Murder is merely unlawful (unjustified) killing. So to say "Murder has always been wrong" is stating a truism (IMO).. which doesn't really offer anything to the debate (IMO).

Now.. if one had said "at all times there has been something considered murder" or "to kill someone for X purpose has always been considered murder", it might be more useful.

But to say a variant of "murder has always been wrong" would, IMO, be likened to saying "a circle has always been round".

Anyways. Just thought I'd point that out (might be useful).. and now... I move off to places where I'm welcomed. Sticking out tongue

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
NinjaTux wrote: Ok first

NinjaTux wrote:

Ok first You said babies would DIE, not have develpomental problems. Those are two sepparate issues. Second, you seriously did not just cite shirley's wellness cafe as a source did you.

I take it you do not believe in holistic medicine approaches? I do because holistic and alternative treatments and approaches have helped me regain my health, when all MD's ever offered were pills to mask symptoms. But that's an entirely different issue.

NinjaTux wrote:
I don't even have to answer to your sources they did not prove that babies will DIE.

Nevertheless, because the infant requires loving maternal input, the greater the degree of deprivation, the more serious might be the consequences. Children who are severely deprived of maternal contact may even die--even if all physical needs are being taken care of. Indeed, the mortality rates for infants placed in foundling homes during the 19th and early 20th century was found to be over 70% (Langmeier & Matejcek, 1975)--a consequence not of poor nutrition, but lack of maternal care from the biological mother.

http://brainmind.com/EmotionalBrainDevelopment1.html

A baby who spends a lot of time in mother's arms, at mother's breasts, and in mother's bed becomes more physiologically organized. Therefore, I believe a baby whose overall physiology is more organized has a lower risk of succumbing to SIDS. Pure speculation, researchers would claim! Read on. Over a period of fifteen years I gathered hundreds of articles on attachment research -- studies that conclude: the closer the infant and mother are, the better the baby's physiology works, especially during the early months when infants are at highest risk of SIDS. What a pity that most of this useful research lies buried in obscure journals or shared at scientific meetings, but little is translated into practical information to help new parents develop a style of infant care that could reduce the risk of SIDS.

http://kidsdirect.net/BD/infants/sids

Would you like me to find more?

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok, I just spent a good

Ok, I just spent a good minute looking around your friends site and googling him.  Did you know he's freakin' nuts....Yeah he is.  He believes that aliens planted life on earth that, just about every single conspiracy theory you can imagine, all his books are self published and to top it all off he thinks god lives in your amygdala.  You also realize that the other site you cited used the term "physiologically ordered"...I'm calling bullshit.  You really need to learn to look things up for more than just agreement. 

Now, my actual critique of this shite...this is utterly retarded.  I have known 8 people who have been adopted.  By your friend , Dr. Joseph, I mean, that would mean that I should have expected 5.5 of the to be dead.  Did you eve read this tripe.  Please, I beg you, I will lose hope in the human species if you honestly tell me that you think that 70% of babies not reared by their mothers die....you next post I want to be nothing more or less than a yes no response to that question (you can respost immediately after it, I just don't want to have to read anything else around it.) 

No Gods, Know Peace.

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
Actually, come to think

Actually, come to think about it, you can post as much as you want.  I'm going to update the distribution (Ubuntu 7.04 Linux represent YO!) on my laptop and play some xbox.  If that gets finished at a reasonable hour I might come back tonight.  That and I really don't feel like having a conversation that I feel could any minute devolve into someone trying to convince me that scientology is the one true faith...honestly, I wish sometimes poster of a more thiest bend than me would apply at least common sense to the drivel they spew...

No Gods, Know Peace.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
NinjaTux wrote: Ok, I just

NinjaTux wrote:

Ok, I just spent a good minute looking around your friends site and googling him. Did you know he's freakin' nuts....Yeah he is. He believes that aliens planted life on earth that, just about every single conspiracy theory you can imagine, all his books are self published and to top it all off he thinks god lives in your amygdala.

I was looking for another reference to the early 20th century orphans. I can go straight to his source if you prefer, and then you can do a psychological work-up on him as well.

NinjaTux wrote:
You also realize that the other site you cited used the term "physiologically ordered"...I'm calling bullshit. You really need to learn to look things up for more than just agreement.
And your qualifications for saying this are? I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say you are male. The simple fact that I am female gives me more credibility on mother-child bond. Keyword, mother.

NinjaTux wrote:
Now, my actual critique of this shite...this is utterly retarded. I have known 8 people who have been adopted. By your friend , Dr. Joseph, I mean, that would mean that I should have expected 5.5 of the to be dead.
You are missing the point. This is talking about babies that were not given enough physical touch. They were neglected. We know better, now.

NinjaTux wrote:
Did you eve read this tripe.
Like I said, I can find other sources.

NinjaTux wrote:
Please, I beg you, I will lose hope in the human species if you honestly tell me that you think that 70% of babies not reared by their mothers die....
That's not what I'm saying. You grossly misinterpreted my point. BTW, did you read the rest of my post, or are you still just harping on this one point that apparently peeved you off.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
ninjatux, I am happy to

ninjatux, I am happy to hear that you will be pursuing other activities because I fear sugarfree will drive you nuts as she has done to others.  She will not respond to my posts at all and has deluded herself with misconceptions and misinformation.

The bonding process is as strong for males as it is for females.  The fact that sugarfree is a female does not give her any special knowledge of parent/child bonding other than a warm fuzzy self-righteous feeling.  That entire school of thought is bunk.  I can cite several sources but she won't read them and you probably already know where to find them.   

This thread has gotten severely off course and I suspect sugarfree will give up soon and lurk around until she finds another thread in which she feels she can "witness" to someone else.

Hope you have fun with your 'puter!   

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Tilberian

Tilberian wrote:

Pouncing...
I’ve come to expect nothing less…

Tilberian wrote:

If the God who made the universe loves you so much then why are you almost totally insignificant with respect to that universe?
The fact that the universe is so large and yet God has the overwhelming ability to love me personally is part of what makes him so amazing. I do not feel insignificant to him. Not at all.
Tilberian wrote:
You lack any power or influence, and you may be snuffed out at any moment by any number of random events. Going further, our entire civilization could be destroyed at any time by any one of several cosmological events. I take much greater care with the safety of my kids.
God has my back for eternity. It isn’t just about this physical life.

Tilberian wrote:

So the fact that we ask questions means there is a certain answer? There are two sources for human curiousity: 1) an evolutionary adaptation which keeps us exploring for new sources of food/shelter and
Why don’t other animals have libraries of religious text then. Are they going to evolve to that point as we have?
Tilberian wrote:
b) a natural offshoot of our consciousness' constant monitoring of our subconscious brain activity. We ask "why do I think that?" because consciousness is a feedback loop which allows us to differentiate between ourselves an our surroundings.
Is this supported by psychology? Just curious as to how you came to this conclusion, i.e., what in your background led to it.

Tilberian wrote:

The growth of the Muslim faith has nothing to do with religious "seeking" and everything to do with politics. It's about being in with the right group to get ahead in these backward societies.
Are you saying that Islam is growing only in backward societies? Curious as to how you came to this conclusion also.

Tilberian wrote:

You just provided an excellent argument against God. If there is one God, and he wants us to know him, why is there so much disagreement about who/what he is? Is God incapable of proving his own existence?
Well, we answer to God, not vice versa, so I cannot tell you why he has chosen to reveal himself the way he has. That is his choice to make not mine. As far as our understanding of God, tho, I liken it to cave paintings versus realism. As humans it took us awhile to understand perspective, and I’m sure there was much trial and error along the way. Same with God. The earliest portion of the Bible, I grant, has a more mythological bent, however, once you get to Kings/Chronicles, I believe much of the rest is historical account. Genesis, however, still teaches truths about the state of our relationship with God, as well as many other important spiritual truths. i.e., God has had a plan for our redemption since the beginning, starting with Abraham.

Tilberian wrote:

A baby's need for touch is a purely developmental, biological phenomenon for which there is ample explanation in science.

Babies have no way of knowing whether the person touching them loves them or not, outside of regular, non-supernatural cues like body language and voice tone. Yes, if a baby is never shown love through these cues, s/he will grow up developmentally stunted. Again, our brains are made to develop as part of a social family group, and will not mature properly if we are removed from that environment.

Babies do not pick up telepathic messages of love from parents, and you have no evidence to suggest that they do. The fact that babies need love is a function of social and evolutionary biology. it has nothing to do with God.
I’m going to do some speculation here (because I do not consider our current science to be a finished product). If a baby is handled by an angry psychotic mother, do you think it’s development would be the same as if it were handled by a loving, calm mother? I think the baby can tell the difference. I think even dogs can tell the difference. We have electricity running thru our bodies. Do you think the influence of that electricity stops at the skin? I know that when I have an AM station on and I’m driving near power lines, the signal gets all screwy. Whatever is messing up my signal is also being absorbed into my body. The electricity in our bodies most likely acts the same way, emanating far into the space around us. I am further going to speculate that different emotional states correspond to different electrical properties…some of which are healing to the human body, some of which are harmful. That’s how I got to the conclusion that love could fall into the category of something “invisible” that we need in order to perform optimally.

Tilberian wrote:

There is no evidence anywhere of a human "need" for God. The idea of God is ubiquitous througout history, yes.
I disagree. Take the African slaves in America. Did they adopt the Christian faith because it was profitable for them? Did they compose beautiful spirituals because they were selling them to the highest bidder? I think the answer is obviously, No. It is no coincidence that, when people are thrown into the most horrible conditions that they turn to God and learn to lean heavily on Him. Most of us on this site, I would guess are pretty privileged. We get to sit on our butts and argue about God and stuff while we eat Twinkies (actually, I don’t eat twinkies, but you get the idea). Point is, we are comfortable. When people are comfortable and have many niceties around, they are much less likely to see a need for God. The beatitudes express this point well.

Tilberian wrote:

Beta endorphins are naturally produced in our brains when we are happy. Are you saying that people need to be happy? Yep, they sure do. Are you saying that we have to have either God or drugs to be happy? Well, then I'm not sure how you'd explain me, since I'm neither high on God or drugs yet have a full load of beta endorphins and feel quite happy.
I would not get too lost in the beta endorphin analogy. I simply used the beta endorphin system to show where there is a need, there can also be counterfeit ways to fill the need, as well as one authentic way to fill it.

Tilberian wrote:

This whole line of reasoning is rather unproductive, I'm afraid, since just showing that people need this or that doesn't mean that this or that exists. I'm quite comfortable with the theory that most people are idiots and wrong about most things, including their own needs.
I’m in agreement about the idiot part.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: ninjatux, I am

jce wrote:

ninjatux, I am happy to hear that you will be pursuing other activities because I fear sugarfree will drive you nuts as she has done to others. She will not respond to my posts at all and has deluded herself with misconceptions and misinformation.

I haven't gotten to your comment yet. I do have a life outside this, and I would rather respond thoughtfully than quickly. Given your current negative attitude toward me, however, I'm now not likely to spend time pondering your post.

jce wrote:

The bonding process is as strong for males as it is for females.

Come back to me and tell me this again after you have grown a baby in your belly for nine months. Then I might agree with you.

jce wrote:

This thread has gotten severely off course and I suspect sugarfree will give up soon and lurk around until she finds another thread in which she feels she can "witness" to someone else.

If I were to ever avoid you, jce, it is because your constant belittling attitude toward me is harmful to my health. I don't care how smart a person is or how much knowledge a person has stored in their brain...if they are going to treat me like trash, I am simply not going to listen to that person. I will instead move on to the person who is able to say the same thing in a manner that is not verbally abusive.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: Come back

sugarfree wrote:

Come back to me and tell me this again after you have grown a baby in your belly for nine months. Then I might agree with you.

I have.  Twice.  Breastfed them too! 

sugarfree wrote:
If I were to ever avoid you, jce, it is because your constant belittling attitude toward me is harmful to my health. I don't care how smart a person is or how much knowledge a person has stored in their brain...if they are going to treat me like trash, I am simply not going to listen to that person. I will instead move on to the person who is able to say the same thing in a manner that is not verbally abusive.

I have never been verbally abusive toward you.  I do admit that I find your consistent ability to ignore facts annoying.  You have also accused others of "being mean" to you and then you go off and pout for a while.  I have tried to treat you and your beliefs with every respect (as I have already told you in other threads) and in turn you have preached and witnessed to me and others instead of formulating sound arguments.  You have not presented any credible sources for your statements and keep relying on the fact that you "feel" you are right.  Sorry, but I do not place much stock in your "feelings".

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: The bonding

jce wrote:
The bonding process is as strong for males as it is for females. The fact that sugarfree is a female does not give her any special knowledge of parent/child bonding other than a warm fuzzy self-righteous feeling. That entire school of thought is bunk. I can cite several sources but she won't read them and you probably already know where to find them.

Umm yeah, I can attest to that. My son is MUCH MORE closely bonded to me than his mother. I do not think the gender of the parent makes the relationship strong, I think the character of the parent bonds them to the children, and the children to them. 

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: jce wrote: The

BGH wrote:

jce wrote:
The bonding process is as strong for males as it is for females. The fact that sugarfree is a female does not give her any special knowledge of parent/child bonding other than a warm fuzzy self-righteous feeling. That entire school of thought is bunk. I can cite several sources but she won't read them and you probably already know where to find them.

Umm yeah, I can attest to that. My son is MUCH MORE closely bonded to me than his mother. I do not think the gender of the parent makes the relationship strong, I think the character of the parent bonds them to the children, and the children to them.

BGH, depending on your son's age, I have no doubt you are right.  I am speaking only of those months in the womb as well as the first formative months of a baby's life.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: sugarfree

jce wrote:
sugarfree wrote:

I have. Twice. Breastfed them too!

sugarfree wrote:

I have never been verbally abusive toward you. I do admit that I find your consistent ability to ignore facts annoying. You have also accused others of "being mean" to you and then you go off and pout for a while. I have tried to treat you and your beliefs with every respect (as I have already told you in other threads) and in turn you have preached and witnessed to me and others instead of formulating sound arguments. You have not presented any credible sources for your statements and keep relying on the fact that you "feel" you are right. Sorry, but I do not place much stock in your "feelings".

You are female?  I am shocked.  All righty then, jokes on me.  So much for girl power.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: I have never

jce wrote:

I have never been verbally abusive toward you. I do admit that I find your consistent ability to ignore facts annoying. You have also accused others of "being mean" to you and then you go off and pout for a while.

Oops.  Should've included this in last post.  Last time, I certainly did go off in a huff.  LOL.  It is funny to me now.  But respectfully, I did not pout during my short leave of absence, I detoxed from the anger I was feeling towards you all.  I do not wish to judge you based on the words on these pages, nor do I wish to harbor anger towards you.  I needed some time to myself to let go of the anger, so that I could come back to you in a fair, non-judgemental way. 

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: Come back

sugarfree wrote:

I am SERIOUSLY trying very hard not to get pissed at you sugarfree. This statement is ignorant on so many, many levels. For one you know NOTHING about jce or any other member here other than what they share with you. To make a comment like this is displaying the "holier than thou" and self-important attitude that makes people act negatively towards you. Also, because a woman carries a baby does not nessacarily make the bond any stronger, what happens once the baby is born has the BIGGEST effect on bonding relationship. The are plenty cold hearted bitch-ass mothers and there are multitudes of loving and caring mothers. The same is for the fathers. Do not just take my example of myself and my son but look at any family where there is more than one child. Some of the children will bond more closely with their father and some with their mother. GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS!!

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: You are

sugarfree wrote:
You are female? I am shocked. All righty then, jokes on me. So much for girl power.

Did you think I pulled the picture for my avatar from the internet? LOL Does anyone else think that is not a girl in that picture?? Being the last child it was the best and almost most recent picture I had!!

BGH wrote:

Thank you! There are many cases where the mother dies during childbirth or early infancy or the couple separates early in the child's life and I guess I am a little insulted for all men that have to go through that kind of trauma and are then thought to be less than adequate parents or that they are unable to bond with their children. It simply is not true.

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm just quietly

I'm just quietly interjecting myself back into the conversation because I left a few posts in response to sugarfree

-Me

Books about atheism

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote:   Did you

jce wrote:

Did you think I pulled the picture for my avatar from the internet? LOL Does anyone else think that is not a girl in that picture?? Being the last child it was the best and almost most recent picture I had!!

I thought you were a proud daddy.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline

BGH wrote:

sugarfree wrote:

I am SERIOUSLY trying very hard not to get pissed at you sugarfree. This statement is ignorant on so many, many levels. For one you know NOTHING about jce or any other member here other than what they share with you. To make a comment like this is displaying the "holier than thou" and self-important attitude that makes people act negatively towards you. Also, because a woman carries a baby does not nessacarily make the bond any stronger, what happens once the baby is born has the BIGGEST effect on bonding relationship. The are plenty cold hearted bitch-ass mothers and there are multitudes of loving and caring mothers. The same is for the fathers. Do not just take my example of myself and my son but look at any family where there is more than one child. Some of the children will bond more closely with their father and some with their mother. GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS!!

BGH, never freakin' mind.  I hope you don't talk to your children like that.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote: I'm just

deludedgod wrote:
I'm just quietly interjecting myself back into the conversation because I left a few posts in response to sugarfree
I'm sorry, I didn't see it.  I will look at it, but probably not this morning.