Continuing conversation with an oddball, getting better

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Continuing conversation with an oddball, getting better

I've been having a dialogue with someone for several weeks now, most of his posts have been assumptive, irrational, and filled with very poor logic. He's getting a little better though, so I gave him a little more of my time today with a response:

(portions of his email were removed)

Quote:

---------------- Original Message -----------------
Date: Aug 15, 2006 2:32 PM

Date: Aug 15, 2006 1:20 PM

do you or do you not advocate intolerance to peoples belief in any form of god on the basis that there is no proof that any exist?

You're closer to our stance with this statement.
However be careful please to differentiate between disrespecting a belief, and disrespecting a person. We'd never advocate disrespecting someone because of their beliefs. We'd avocate disrespecting the belief though.

Quote:

I listened to your talkshow here.....you claim to be agnostic atheists correct?

could you define 'agnostic atheist' in text for me please?

Sure. An atheist is someone who disbelieves or denies the existence of God. Disbelief is the act of not believing something. Babies for example don't have a god belief, and in this sense all babies are born atheist. As to agnostic... agnosticism unlike atheism (pertaining to belief), pertains to knowledge. Agnosticism answers a completely different question, it answers "What do you know?" not "What do you believe?"

We don't have a belief in a God: we're atheists
We don't have knowledge of God, and admit we don't know what the first cause of the Universe was: we're agnostic

Quote:

to express again that i am not attacking you but only offering lighthearted criticism....i say this........

i never promised rational responses or questions or answers, so i reserve my right to break your balls with questions like that.......

you guys on the other hand by your very display pic offer only rational responses and to 'fix' my 'irrational' belief in God.......

Notice again, does our avatar say we offer ONLY rational responses? No. Be careful of the logic you use. We'll be the first to admit we can be irrational just as anyone else, however we are capable of rational responses on the issue of God. And considering God belief is irrational, I think more rational responses are needed in that area.

Quote:

(please don't become so 'rational that you lose your sense of humor, that is tragic when that happens, wouldn't you agree?)

I have a sense of humor, not sure if you realize though, in our discussions I've yet to see much "funny" come out of you. Oh, and feel free to laugh at that. Eye-wink

Vote for Democrats to save us all from the anti-American Republican party!

Please become a Patron of Brian Sapient

athos
athos's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:From: Morgan Date: Aug

Quote:
Date: Aug 14, 2006 7:31 PM

you never sent your phone number to debate the existance of god. why?

his reply:

Quote:
did to. Was supposed to get a call several sundays ago. contact me @
no longer using myspace.

God is as qualified to preach morality as Charles Manson, Hell, he could give Hitler a run for his money!

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Hmmm... Y'know I spread

Hmmm... Y'know I spread myself so thin, there is a possibility he did and I just don't recall it. Although I just looked through my mailbox and couldn't find his email with number, and I always keep those.

I'll contact him again when things die down.

bump this in like a month. Sticking out tongue

Vote for Democrats to save us all from the anti-American Republican party!

Please become a Patron of Brian Sapient