I finnaly watched "The Island" and I think my mind needs a bandage...

JanCham
User is offlineOffline
I finnaly watched "The Island" and I think my mind needs a bandage...

+++ Spoiler Alert +++

In the year 2016 (I think the movie stated) in a refitted army bunker a program is taking place that uses fully grown clones of various rich individuals as spare parts for failed organs and breeding vessels for infertile mothers.  Unknown to the clients, these clones are fully sentient and living under the false knowledge that they are survivors of a horrible pandemic.  The clones are told that the only refuge from the pandemic apart from their sterile enclosure is one single Island.  Over time a lottery is drawn to see who is lucky enough to go to the island, but in reality they are being taken to operating tables to be cut up in order to save the lives of their rich 'sponsors'.

So why are they kept aware and allowed to grow into full human beings?  Well duh, because without intellegence the organs would fail!  In the movie we have technology that can perfectly clone humans who appear 20-60 years old in a matter of a few years, but they have to grow a whole person in order to harvest (in one case) a human liver.  They have robots the size of a grain of rice, but for some reason they can't construct an organ by any other means than to clone an entire person.  They can also remove sexual response from the clones and not.. i don't know.. augment the dna to create a brain simple enough to support the organs and yet not complex enough for sentience?

If that were not the worst of it a bit of "Deus ex machina" gets inserted into the script.  The main hero somehow forms perfect memories of his Original, (and yet fails to explain why he isn't a prick like him either, but that's beside the point).  I think the next time Micheal Bay wants to direct something, he should brush up on if his premise isn't completely hair-brained.  Behaviors in animals have been found to be genetic, but I don't think drawing a boat that his original designed (the main heroes original is an artist) is quite the same as building a beaver damn.  I'm no scientist, but I've never heard of a beaver building a dam as a stick-by-stick duplicate of their parents.

The last foolishness I can think of on the top of my head is the sheer pessimism this movie holds for Human Nature.  One of the 'bad guys' does do a 360, but every scientist, guard, and the very person the heroes clone is based off of are completely oblivious to the fact that the clones are just as human as they are (or perhaps don't even care)  One of the clones screams "I don't want to die" and still, not a tear is shed for the "Product" before he is drug back into the operating table to harvest his organs.  It is amazing how people can dehumanize anyone is even so much as a minor difference, but so many people at one time?  There were thousands of workers in that facility who knew these people were being grown and killed, and not *one* at any given time went to the press.  It took two clones to escape on their own to uncover the secret the facility was keeping from the rest of the world.  I'm sorry, but this premise doesn't work for the very same reason that most conspiracy theories don't.. too many people involved.

I'm angry that my copy of "Dr. Strange" was too damaged to watch and that I had to resort of this thing... all I can really say in my defence is that I rented it with Netflix.  I'm glad I didn't waste my money, I'm angry that I waisted my queue space.

To go beyond your limits you must first find them.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Sounds dumb. Maybe the

Sounds dumb. Maybe the writer was drunk when he wrote it?

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
 The really embarrassing

The really embarrassing thing about The Island is that it was deemed too stupid for a major studio way back in the 1970's, when it was produced as a B-movie with Peter Graves called Parts:  The Clonus Horror.  MST3K busted it all up in one of their later seasons.  The Island came out a few years later and the producers of Clonus sued Dreamworks for infringement.  Dreamworks setted for something in the range of seven figures.  When Hollywood settles, you know someone's kicking themselves really hard in their own ass.  And I hope it's Michael Bay.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

Pallas
Pallas's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, I wanted my time back

Yeah, I wanted my time back when it was over.  The movie just kept going...and going... and going...

mr804
Special AgentSuperfan
mr804's picture
User is offlineOffline
People watched that movie

People watched that movie for reason's other than scarlett johansson??

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
mr804 wrote:People watched

mr804 wrote:

There's something other than Scarlett Johansson in it?

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

JanCham
User is offlineOffline
mr804 wrote:People watched

mr804 wrote:

I don't know, she has that stupid look in her eyes that keeps me from being attracted to her.

JanCham
User is offlineOffline
DamnDirtyApe wrote: The

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

The really embarrassing thing about The Island is that it was deemed too stupid for a major studio way back in the 1970's, when it was produced as a B-movie with Peter Graves called Parts:  The Clonus Horror.  MST3K busted it all up in one of their later seasons.  The Island came out a few years later and the producers of Clonus sued Dreamworks for infringement.  Dreamworks setted for something in the range of seven figures.  When Hollywood settles, you know someone's kicking themselves really hard in their own ass.  And I hope it's Michael Bay.

The bully from The Simpsons comes into my mind "Haa Haa!"

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
hmm

I think this is one of those movies that has an interesting premise that resides on a slippery slope argument being, "If science allows mankind to play God by recreating Man for his own purposes, won't that devolve into dehumanization of the clones?"

Obviously, to put things like this into play means that most of the people involved in any facet of this plant are devoid of any ethical concerns(assuming they stay fairly constant in the time gap from the current ethical environment the future environment). Movies like this, the 6th day, and Blade Runner always fundamentally disregard any concern to the construct of consciousness/self awareness in the beings they create until this ludicrous epiphany of "this is wrong" near the end of the movie occurs as a direct result of the manmade characters telling them that in fact what they are doing is wrong. The plausibility of these plotlines require an inordinate suspension of disbelief with regard to the ethical foundations of the world they have themselves created.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 That's so bizarre. They

That's so bizarre. They could have actually made the movie compelling by making Scarlett Johansson a copy of Scarlett Johansson. She could play herself in the movie, and the confused clone. Then at least it would be funny. It seems completely lame to have obviously famous people in the movie and not make reference to that.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
All I know about it is I'm

All I know about it is I'm glad we got it on DVD because after 20minutes everyone was lot and we stopped watching.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
well at least you could stay

well at least you could stay awake, I fell asleep after 15minutes. it was boring...

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Worst Movies Ever....

Plot holes so big you can drive a truck through em...

My favorite, "The Bone Collector" in which we must believe that a serial killer, who has no trouble killing multiple health adults, is in the end killed by a quadroplegic...

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
The problem with The Island

The problem with The Island was a flagrant lack of zombies (not to mention dread Cthulhus). To be fair, this is a problem that seems to have spread throughout most cinema.

Michael Bay still has much to learn from George A Romero and H.P. Lovecraft (though I'll admit that firsthand lessons from the latter are hard to come by these days).

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Jello
User is offlineOffline
Dammit, I enjoyed the film,

Dammit, I enjoyed the film, and even though I thought the idea that the clones had to experience life in order for the organs to work was a bit weak, none of the other points occured to me. I guess I'm just too easily entertained. I've enjoyed some fairly shitty films in my time.

Oh, and Scarlett Johansen is one of the sexiest women on earth

Wish in one hand, shit in the other, see which one fills up first.

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
thingy wrote:mr804

thingy wrote:

mr804 wrote:

There's something other than Scarlett Johansson in it?

I was the only one who saw it for the car 900hp Cadillac Cien?  The chase, while brief, was fucking awsome!!  And cmon, the flying Jet-cycle was super sweet.

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
JanCham wrote:So why are

JanCham wrote:

So why are they kept aware and allowed to grow into full human beings?  Well duh, because without intellegence the organs would fail!  In the movie we have technology that can perfectly clone humans who appear 20-60 years old in a matter of a few years, but they have to grow a whole person in order to harvest (in one case) a human liver. 

Did you not even pay attention to the story?  These clones were insurance policies, meaning they were kept alive until they were needed.  They were not allowed to grow into full adults, in fact, they made it clear that they all had the minds of little children.  If what you meant by this is that they wanted them full grown, in terms of physical specifications, well, thats because an infant liver wouldn't really help and adult liver.

Quote:
If that were not the worst of it a bit of "Deus ex machina" gets inserted into the script.  The main hero somehow forms perfect memories of his Original, (and yet fails to explain why he isn't a prick like him either, but that's beside the point).  I think the next time Micheal Bay wants to direct something, he should brush up on if his premise isn't completely hair-brained.  Behaviors in animals have been found to be genetic, but I don't think drawing a boat that his original designed (the main heroes original is an artist) is quite the same as building a beaver damn.  I'm no scientist, but I've never heard of a beaver building a dam as a stick-by-stick duplicate of their parents.

There is a big difference between evolutionary behavior becoming genetic and flat out copying 99.9999999999 % of a human brain verbatum.  I am not saying the Island is accurate in this, but the premise its working with is that these clones are the closest one can get to an exact duplicate.  SO if everything is exact, that means the memories, according to this premise, would also be there even if the cloner made sure to input inhibitors to keep the memories from being accessed (which either a) was explained in the movie or b) should have been easy to figure out if you watch bad science fiction or good science fiction since even Total Recall had this as one of its premises).  In fact, the whole idea of Ewan Mecgrogor's clone character having these memories is what the whole movie is about since it is suggesting that we, as human beings, cannot do anything with absolute certainty and that all it takes is one little crack in the system for it to be brought down by the very things it is creating. 

Quote:
There were thousands of workers in that facility who knew these people were being grown and killed, and not *one* at any given time went to the press.

1) Nice to know the whole subplot with Steve Buscemi's character totally went over your head 2) Since when are welders or sewage workers known for going public against a huge corporation?  And, again, within the framework of the story, it makes perfect sense that no one has gone public since the suggestion is that any worker who shows any sign of doing so will be killed.  Why do you think they had mercenaries at their beck and call?  Because they get lonely?

Quote:
It took two clones to escape on their own to uncover the secret the facility was keeping from the rest of the world.  I'm sorry, but this premise doesn't work for the very same reason that most conspiracy theories don't.. too many people involved.

This point i have to concede.  Even granting all horrible science fiction and seemingly implausibly omnipotent power structure of the company, in fact because of this, it makes no sense that two individuals with the minds of children could last more than 10 minutes outside of their clone facility since they would either get caught very quickly and "treated" or get killed by something else.  Their best bet would be to get arrested because then they would garner public attention for having the same exact identity of other individuals.  Going this route, however, would also go against all the other set ups since another one was that this corporation bought off the police force, not to mention, that they were shooting to kill.  So the one major fault is that these two characters are, quite possibly the luckiest characters in cinema history since they survived purely by blind chance and luck alone.  The other major fault is that it was too schiztoid.  One half of the movie was trying to be a meditation on living in a future in which everyone must be inside because of pollution slowly revealing that things are not as they seem (which the trailer pretty much ruined) whereas the second half is typical awesome Michael Bay nonsense with rediculously over the top action scenes that totally overshadowed any real questions being posed by the first half. 

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff