Overcoming Cognitive Dissonance: Carol Tavris

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Overcoming Cognitive Dissonance: Carol Tavris

I just listened to a very interesting interview with Carol Tavris at Point of Inquiry that made me re-question the blunt approach. She makes a convincing case that being "in your face" with those deceiving themselves only causes them to become more entrenched in false beliefs. Her observations of cognitive dissonance and self-deception were spot-on. It can be painful to recognize a personal failing. This is why most people don't engage in much meaningful self-reflection.

Anyone who has rejected religion has engaged in both critical thinking and self-reflection. The process for me is ongoing. I'm constantly questioning my actions, motives, beliefs, etc. It can be both painful and exhausting (as mentioned in the interview), but Carol Tavris is of the opinion that this need not be the case.

If you have time, listen to the interview <--direct link to mp3

Tell me what you think? Is there a better way to engage theists using Carol Tavris's observations? How about making the process of self-reflection less painful?

Please, discuss. Smiling

Here's a link to her book Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me): Why We Justify Foolish Beliefs, Bad Decisions, and Hurtful Acts

RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
User is offlineOffline
Motivation

I would have to agree. We can still be outspoken without being in your face. Treatments for substance users that are confrontational and in your face have been ineffective. The most supported approach is non-confrontational and lets the indivdiual come up with the reasons that they need to make changes in their use of substances. In essence the counselor or therapist is guiding the person to a point of dissonance where they have to change their behaviors to fit their belief system. I wouldn't call it self-reflection so much as the highlighting of conflicting beliefs and attitudes without direct disputation. Great Stuff.

"Those who think they know don't know. Those that know they don't know, know."

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
We touched upon this

We touched upon this subject in one of my comm classes.  Basically there are 3 options an individual can do to correct the dissonance:

lessen the importance of the belief

avoid information that heightens dissonance

abandon conflicting beliefs

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah. But.

As far as atheism goes, I sort of agree with her that being militant about refuting religion could heighten the dissonance and make the person in question entrench themsleves further in their beliefs. From that point of view she seems to say that being militant is a bad way to go.

I can agree with her on that point to a certain extent, but I think one of the reasons that atheists are starting to come out of the closet isn't because prominent atheists are being nice and easing the religiously-minded folk out of their beliefs. Being militant and "in your face" is a great way to get attention, and atheism has been getting it.

But when I argue with someone face to face, I generally (with a few exceptions) try to be courteous. I don't try to make the person feel stupid, but I want to present them with something that is troubling to their beliefs. I want them to think about it on their own, and eventually (hopefully) come to the right conclusion.

So I agree with her as far as the small, personal debates are concerned, but I think that the public "in your face" tactics that people like Dawkins and the RRS employ serve a purpose, too.

As has been said previously, it's a battle that will be fought on many fronts. 

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's a good interview. From

It's a good interview.

From what I could tell, she was advocating the following strategies for reducing the backlash reaction when trying to challenge cognitive dissonance:

1. Understand the purpose of the dissonant belief.

2. Subdivide within the framework of the purpose to allow rational choices within the cognitive dissonance.

3. Widen the circle of influence.

I think this is a good strategy. Interestingly, the essay that I wrote on this topic mirrors some of what she is saying, but in a slightly different way.

My three steps:

1. Widen the circle of influence

2. Take them away from the religious influence as much as possible.

3. Only after steps one and two, challenge their beliefs without attacking them directly.

In other words, let the potential deconvert see that there is a large, happy group of atheists living meaningful, fulfilling lives.

There are two very interesting facts about human prejudice and adaptability. First, if you show me someone who is blatantly bigoted against a certain type of person, I'll show you someone who has seldom if ever known this type of person in any meaningful way. If you were to go into a random church and do a survey, you would find that the people who were most skeptical about the church's stance on gay marriage were almost always the people who had either gay family members or close friends, or at the very least, had had such friends in the past.

Second, even the most bigoted people usually soften their views when they widen their perspective. In other words, a white racist will likely become less racist after spending six months living in an African town, or attending a nearly all black college. He will adapt, and will likely adopt many of the practices and language of those he originally hated. Notice, though, that this is a drastic change of environment. One person from the hated group usually does not make that big a difference.

So, by making friends with borderline theists, and taking them out of the church environment, we weaken the potential social hold on them by giving them an alternative. Even if we never actively challenge their religious beliefs, they will become less important as the people spend time with others who do not even acknowledge the dissonant beliefs.

Lastly, by challenging the belief without attacking the person, I mean something similar to what the speaker was saying. Find ways to ask them pointed questions while leaving them an out that does not make them appear foolish.

What she meant (I believe) by subdividing within the framework is that you can ask questions that lead to more logical conclusions, but still allow the possibility of the umbrella belief which is a cognitive dissonance.

1. John, a Christian, does not believe in evolution.

2. Bob, a Christian, believes in evolution.

3. John should not be asked to give up Christianity right away. Rather, he should be challenged to examine Bob as objectively as possible, so that he can see that Bob shares the primary tenets of Christianity. Once John sees that it is possible to stay a Christian and question creationism, the door is open for him to make a rational decision about the reality of evolution.

4. Once John believes in evolution, you can introduce him to Sally, a Christian, who believes that not everyone who is non-Christian is going to hell. Perhaps those who didn't get a reasonable shot at becoming a Christian are judged on their moral merits.

And so the chain continues until the barest thread of Christianity is left. At this point, Bob has been gradually pulling away from his previous social network (Fundie Church) and has a much smaller shield up against the cognitive dissonance that is Christianity itself.

Understanding the purpose of belief is a friggin' huge topic, and I don't think I have the time or the energy to get into it now.

Anyway, great post. Hopefully my input is helpful.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hamby, that was a very good

Hamby, that was a very good post, thank you.

I didn't get to listen to the speaker, my speakers are broken.  It was my impression that cognitive dissonance, at least in the communication field, had more to do with interpersonal communication, rather than large group or mass media communication.  Meaning that steps are taken to alleviate the dissonance on a more personal level. 

Chances are, the marjority of religious folk will probably dismiss the RRS and either silently support it or simply do not care enough to do anything about it.  Those that view this forum as a threat would most likely surrond themselves with people or groups that feel the same way they do, since fear is easier to deal with together rather than alone.  Thing is, imo, they would do this no matter what approach RRS took so I'm not even sure it matters.  

Are there other reports or instances of something along this vein occurring?  Not with religion, but perhaps something else, politics, civil rights, etc?  I think it would be fascinating to study what's occurring here on a communcative level. 

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: Hamby,

pariahjane wrote:

I didn't get to listen to the speaker, my speakers are broken. It was my impression that cognitive dissonance, at least in the communication field, had more to do with interpersonal communication, rather than large group or mass media communication. Meaning that steps are taken to alleviate the dissonance on a more personal level.

Chances are, the marjority of religious folk will probably dismiss the RRS and either silently support it or simply do not care enough to do anything about it. Those that view this forum as a threat would most likely surrond themselves with people or groups that feel the same way they do, since fear is easier to deal with together rather than alone. Thing is, imo, they would do this no matter what approach RRS took so I'm not even sure it matters.

Are there other reports or instances of something along this vein occurring? Not with religion, but perhaps something else, politics, civil rights, etc? I think it would be fascinating to study what's occurring here on a communcative level.

In the interview, they offer the example of G.W. Bush surrounding himself with like-minded politicians, which is most likely one of the reasons why he can't admit a wrong or change a course of action. He is consistently able to justify his actions with a few nods of approval from his yes-men. They contrast him with Lincoln who actually filled his administration with people who disagreed with him so that he could have more perspective.

Maybe not the shining example you were looking for, but it's another nonetheless. 

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Archeopteryx

Archeopteryx wrote:
pariahjane wrote:

I didn't get to listen to the speaker, my speakers are broken. It was my impression that cognitive dissonance, at least in the communication field, had more to do with interpersonal communication, rather than large group or mass media communication. Meaning that steps are taken to alleviate the dissonance on a more personal level.

Chances are, the marjority of religious folk will probably dismiss the RRS and either silently support it or simply do not care enough to do anything about it. Those that view this forum as a threat would most likely surrond themselves with people or groups that feel the same way they do, since fear is easier to deal with together rather than alone. Thing is, imo, they would do this no matter what approach RRS took so I'm not even sure it matters.

Are there other reports or instances of something along this vein occurring? Not with religion, but perhaps something else, politics, civil rights, etc? I think it would be fascinating to study what's occurring here on a communcative level.

In the interview, they offer the example of G.W. Bush surrounding himself with like-minded politicians, which is most likely one of the reasons why he can't admit a wrong or change a course of action. He is consistently able to justify his actions with a few nods of approval from his yes-men. They contrast him with Lincoln who actually filled his administration with people who disagreed with him so that he could have more perspective.

Maybe not the shining example you were looking for, but it's another nonetheless.

I think that would be a good example of someone surrounding themselves with like-minded people in order to escape the discomfort  of dissonance.  Again, I haven't heard it yet so I can't voice my opinion, but it seems reasonable to me that Bush would do something like that, since he seem to follow his own path leadership quite blindly.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: It was my impression

Quote:
It was my impression that cognitive dissonance, at least in the communication field, had more to do with interpersonal communication, rather than large group or mass media communication.

In psychology, cognitive dissonance is basically a name for the mental reaction to two beliefs that are essentially "A and not A."  In other words, when a person believes something that is contrary to something else he believes, he feels a sense of mental discomfort.  There are essentially three things that can be done about the discontinuity.

1) Ignore it.

2) Reason it away.

3) Change beliefs.

There is significant evidence that option 1 is a very poor option.  This is basicaly the same as living in delusion, and as we all know, people who are under delusions can have severe problems functioning rationally.

Number two is what the overwhelming majority of people do when faced with cognitive dissonance.  (Fecal reference intended.)   In the example of the shrub (Little Bush), when there were no WMDs, no parades, and no mission accomplished, he reasoned away the cognitive dissonance by blaming military leaders, faulty intelligence, and anyone or anything else he could think of, rather than admit his own mistake.

This is where the interview got to talking about how outside influences can sometimes help people avoid #2 and move to #3, which is generally the healthiest of options.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
It was my impression that cognitive dissonance, at least in the communication field, had more to do with interpersonal communication, rather than large group or mass media communication.

In psychology, cognitive dissonance is basically a name for the mental reaction to two beliefs that are essentially "A and not A."  In other words, when a person believes something that is contrary to something else he believes, he feels a sense of mental discomfort.  There are essentially three things that can be done about the discontinuity.

1) Ignore it.

2) Reason it away.

3) Change beliefs.

There is significant evidence that option 1 is a very poor option.  This is basicaly the same as living in delusion, and as we all know, people who are under delusions can have severe problems functioning rationally.

Number two is what the overwhelming majority of people do when faced with cognitive dissonance.  (Fecal reference intended.)   In the example of the shrub (Little Bush), when there were no WMDs, no parades, and no mission accomplished, he reasoned away the cognitive dissonance by blaming military leaders, faulty intelligence, and anyone or anything else he could think of, rather than admit his own mistake.

This is where the interview got to talking about how outside influences can sometimes help people avoid #2 and move to #3, which is generally the healthiest of options.

Thanks Hamby.  Yeah, it's the exact same premise.  The communication field just spends more time on the... well, the communicative aspect of it, I guess.  lol